Old 20th June 2007, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
Open radiator cap, start engine.

Leave engine on for 10-15 min

You must get rid of air bubbles

bubbles = damage
This process will automatically happen due to the pressure release system in the radiator cap. No need to open the radiator cap.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 01:29   #17
BHPian

Lot of sad/bad things happened recently so got no time go to a garage.

What I notice now is that since the weather is cooler now, the condition is better but there is still something wrong somewhere. I might have gotten used to the heavy revving somewhere but the FE has gone down.

It used to do 150kms in 500 bucks but now its no more than 120kms MAX.

Will go and show her this saturday and know what the hell went wrong!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 19:26   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up

Sorry guys, posting after a long time. Was too busy sorting out life!

Drove to Jaipur last week, my OHC returned 12.5kmpl with 100% AC and out of the 650kms I drove, about 20% was city driving. I've got much better FE in the city! Could reach a 100-110 kmph easily but she was grunting after that so decided it is time to set things right!

I went to Pandit & Co yesterday morning. After a TD and discussing the symptoms, we did a compression test. Saw that it had gone down to 150.

CULPRIT: The Abro motor flush was too strong for her and that engine flushing is NOT recommended for older engines especially who have not been flushed regularly.

There was an expensive treatment available and so decided to test on just one cylinder first.
It was a small tube holding 9ml of chemical that was put into cylinder 1 with a squirt or 2 of machine oil. The plug + wire were put back on but the switch wire (which powers the electricals) was taken off. The engine was cranked for 2-3 seconds a few times and then the switch was put back on and the engine was fired and idled for 10-15 minutes, with light revs in the end, exhaust smoking!

RESULT: After this, the plug was removed and the compression was tested in the cylinder. Ok, in the beginning, we were expecting the compression to rise to about 170 (+/- 5) but it went up to a 180, which was unbelievable. (185 is a new engine)

I was asked to drive and see if I saw a difference but it would take time for the treatment to take full effect in any case. I drove around for about 45 minutes and could see a difference for sure (or maybe it was psychological).

Anyway, I went back there and decided to get the remaining 3 cylinders treated as well. Same procedure, but we let her idle for an hour. The best part was, in about 20-30 minutes, the engine sound VANISHED, it sounded dead silent and like a fresh engine that was so full of life.

We didn't do any more compression tests after this but I am in the process of making the best of the treatment right now.

CONCLUSION: Have to drive her under 50-60 and very gently, no red lining and be very gentle, have to do this until 500kms (this will cause regular heat expansion and contraction and seal the internals for compression to remain intact), and return for the final compression test and to get the plugs and injector cleaning done. Was warned that if I don't be gentle then I'd just blow up the $$ spent, out of the exhaust ;-)

Did about 140 kms yesterday with speeds under 60 and low revs (FOOT ACHED!) Managed to get FANTASTIC FE until now, haha, I think she is coming back to life!
Old 5th August 2007, 19:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Great that things are getting sorted out, do post the name of the product the garage used.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Ankit! Glad to know the problem got solved finally. Now, as a lesson I hope you'll stop going to the best tuner in Delhi for your engine flushes

Jaggu - I think the product is called Khaado. Not sure about the speeing though.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Please let us know the price also.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Jaggu - I think the product is called Khaado. Not sure about the speeing though.
Google knows not what you speak of. Please tell more.

Ankit, can also please elaborate more of what was used to bump up your compression again? Ideally also take a pic or two of the packaging.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:52   #23
BHPian

@Jaggu - Mentioned the garage in the beginning buddy - Pandit & Co, Okhla.

@iraghava - Ya bud, thanks. It's not called Khaado / Khaadu? And the trips have stopped to the 'best tuner' ever since. I called you that day when I was there but guess you were sleeping or hung over!

@toiing - It was to cost me 2k per cylinder so 8k in total but I got a discount, maybe it was my enterprising nature or possibly being referred by Ishan! (But they don't deal in tyres man!!!)

@ported_head - I've tried explaining everything in detail sir, it was not complicated and as simple as I have written it :-)

The product is called XADO, used by the French to clean rifles, as I was told, its made in Ukraine. Some serious product here.

The pictures:

The small tube

Details on the backside
Old 5th August 2007, 20:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Not to worry my car runs on the same stuff. Will be going to the garage in a day or two, so if Ankit doesn't have any pics I'll get some alongwith more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
@iraghava - Ya bud, thanks. It's not called Khaado / Khaadu? And the trips have stopped to the 'best tuner' ever since. I called you that day when I was there but guess you were sleeping or hung over!
Well I did call you back later but you didn't take the call! I was sleeping since I'd been reading some stuff till 5:30-6am!!

Last edited by iraghava : 5th August 2007 at 20:56.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 20:58   #25
BHPian

So is this a Flush Alternative or Compression Enhancer !!!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 22:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

dont go so far as ukraine, india site Xado India | XADO | Engine Treatment | Engine Oil Additives | Reconditioning Technology
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 22:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

They have some interesting stuff. Might want to try out some of it, someday.
Xado UK - Increase Compression | Performance | Reduce Consumption | Emission | Environmentally Friendly | Fuel Consumption | Reduce Fuel Consumption Technology - Engine Compression

But at 2k a cylinder, he is making quite a cut. Presuming that he used one tube per cylinder, each of which retails at around 9 pounds.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 22:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

GUYS !!!

is it recommended to do an engine flush periodically ? my OHC has done 62k and havent done a flush yet...shud i be getting this done ? what precautions be taken to avoid what ankits ohc went thru...

also - OT - is 62k time enuf to chek our the suspension ? ever since i upgraded to 195/55/15 - im seing a terrible drop in ride quality ( is it due to an ageing suspension ??)
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 00:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
So is this a Flush Alternative or Compression Enhancer !!!
It's not a flush alternative. The website gives some interesting information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
But at 2k a cylinder, he is making quite a cut. Presuming that he used one tube per cylinder, each of which retails at around 9 pounds.
Hmm. That's a good margin then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
GUYS !!!

is it recommended to do an engine flush periodically ? my OHC has done 62k and havent done a flush yet...shud i be getting this done ? what precautions be taken to avoid what ankits ohc went thru...

also - OT - is 62k time enuf to chek our the suspension ? ever since i upgraded to 195/55/15 - im seing a terrible drop in ride quality ( is it due to an ageing suspension ??)
I seriously do not recommend flushing on your OHC since I have had such a bad experience. Our older engines are sealed by the carbon deposits which is good and since you have never used a flush before, it's better not to now.

Suspension check is important, will save you unnecessary kharcha if not checked and corrected in time. Could also be due to the alloys specs, someone will enlighten you on that one.
Old 6th August 2007, 00:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Not to worry my car runs on the same stuff. Will be going to the garage in a day or two, so if Ankit doesn't have any pics I'll get some alongwith more information.

Well I did call you back later but you didn't take the call! I was sleeping since I'd been reading some stuff till 5:30-6am!!
Oh hell you did!! Sorry I was watching a movie then and totally forgot about it.

You used this on your OHC, what were the before and after results on the compression?