Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th June 2007, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Default weird heating problem in accord

i am facing weird heating problem in my 2003 oha.temprature meter shows normal but engine bay gets real hot after 10-15 min of driving.
you cannot literaly put ur hand on the hood of car. why is it so?
before it was like this-
there was alot of problem in my car's cooling system. temperature meter used to go at top and radiator transforms its coolant or water into steam and throws it out through coolant's reservoir pipe because of which water or coolant in reservoir blows out. when i used to add new water to radiator it also makes steam out of it after some time.
i send my car to honda's authorized service where they just cleaned the radiator and added new coolant in it. after this radiator behaved normally and temperature needle also remained at normal. but whenever i drive my car for say 10-20 mins it gets really hot in engine bay.
what can be the problem? what should i check to get it back to normal?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2007 at 02:25. Reason: making readable
prateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 12:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

replace your engine heat sensor first, then check for when the fan comes up, it should come up appropriately so that the heat doesnt build up. Check with some other accord, usually in the temp indicator, it should come up at a specific point.

Check the coolant controlling valve, its placed at the entry hose of the coolant to the engine. It should open up and if its put 'ulta' or is faulty it will open up late/will never open up.

Check engine oil level, also check if the radiator fan fins are in the right direction, sucktion of air from outside is good( keep a piece of paper in your hand and place it outside the grill when the fan blows, paper should be pulled towards the engine).
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek View Post
i am facing weired heating problem in my 2003 oha.temprature metere shows normal but engine bay gets real hot after 10-15 min of driving.
u cannot literaly put ur hand on the hood of car.why is it so?
before it was like this-
there was alot of problem in my car's cooling system.temprature metere used to go at top and radiator transforms its coolannt or water into steam and throws it out through coolant's reservoir pipe.because of which water or coolant in reservoir blows out.when i used to add new water to radiator it also makes steam out of it after some time.
i send my car to honda's authorized service where they just cleaned the radiator and added new coolant in it.after this radiator behaved normally and temprature needle also remained at normal.but whenever i drive my car for say 10-20 mins it gets really hot in engine bay.
what can be the problem?what should i check to get it back to normal?
Are you talking about your Modded accord? Engine bay does get hot after you drive the car. If the temperature needle is normal and you are not getting engine warning then I guess you shouldnt have a problem...You car has a turbo installed too right??
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 13:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
replace your engine heat sensor first, then check for when the fan comes up, it should come up appropriately so that the heat doesnt build up. Check with some other accord, usually in the temp indicator, it should come up at a specific point.

Check the coolant controlling valve, its placed at the entry hose of the coolant to the engine. It should open up and if its put 'ulta' or is faulty it will open up late/will never open up.

Check engine oil level, also check if the radiator fan fins are in the right direction, sucktion of air from outside is good( keep a piece of paper in your hand and place it outside the grill when the fan blows, paper should be pulled towards the engine).
fan is working fine as told by honda mechanic. new thermostat valve is orderd.as it was not very expensive so i ordered it new .
fan is sucking air from outside towards engine bay so no problem in it also.
can damaged head gasket can also cause problem of heating?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2007 at 02:25. Reason: making readable
Old 18th June 2007, 14:40   #5
BHPian

further to dadus checks
what are the coolant consumption habits will shed better diagnosis.

alternatively go for a Pressure test of the cooling system.

if you want to do a DIY prssure test
after the engine is hot TAKE NECESSARY SAFETY for Eyes face.
open the hood and check for any leaks from hoses, if not then revv the car or ask someone to revv the car between 3 to 5k rpm and see if there is any leaks. sometimes hoses and joints leak only after some pressure is there (my case the leak showed at 14PSI)

if u are having white smoke of the exhaust or
if u have chocolate coloured oil on the stick or
check the spark plugs can give u vital clues
THE ABOVE will let u know if u have a fried head gasket.

if yes then get a check done and get the engine sorted asap or further damage is too costly and also during change of gasket ask them to check for head cracks if any.

all the best.
(i did all this study when my ride had some weird coolant consumption habits) luckily no head gasket work just a swollen heater hose and a plenum on the block - changed hose and sealant for the plenum.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 18th June 2007 at 14:46.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
further to dadus checks
what are the coolant consumption habits will shed better diagnosis.

alternatively go for a Pressure test of the cooling system.

if you want to do a DIY prssure test
after the engine is hot TAKE NECESSARY SAFETY for Eyes face.
open the hood and check for any leaks from hoses, if not then revv the car or ask someone to revv the car between 3 to 5k rpm and see if there is any leaks. sometimes hoses and joints leak only after some pressure is there (my case the leak showed at 14PSI)
checked.no hose is leaking.but sometime ago when i got my radiator cleaned from honda,i was test driving then at that time hose pipe(goes from radiator to engine head)poped out from radiator and coolant came on hood.can u suggest wha can be the problem coz my honda mechanic was saying that it was just because of hose pipe,if replaced it will work fine.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Are you talking about your Modded accord? Engine bay does get hot after you drive the car. If the temperature needle is normal and you are not getting engine warning then I guess you shouldnt have a problem...You car has a turbo installed too right??

yes its that same modded accord which have turbo installed.
engine bay gets hot after driving but not as much as my car.u can't literaly put your hand on hood of car even after 20-30 min of driving.i checked this with my other cars also.will heat effect paint on hood?
Old 18th June 2007, 15:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
yes its that same modded accord which have turbo installed.
engine bay gets hot after driving but not as much as my car.u can't literaly put your hand on hood of car even after 20-30 min of driving.i checked this with my other cars also.will heat effect paint on hood?
just a tip if u find it overheating too much in traffic try using the heater to let the heat out and keep an eye on the temp needle to see if it helps in getting the temp down if not its best to switch off the engine. (keep the windows open) LOL

LET ME KNOW UR COOLANT CONSUMPTION

make sure u dont revv too much or long trips till this is sorted.

dont worry about the paint buddy get whatever sensors u need to check and replace (dadus post) or as they say your module which may need reprogram if the turbo was aftermarket as the heat management is not right and this may get your head pistons fried and maybe a possible seizure. btw hope u are not getting some pinging in engine.

hope ur water pump is working - on cold engine open the radiator cap start the engine and see if the water is circulating. ALSO one equipment that may need an upgrade for more circulation with your turbo fit.

do check the engine heating issue on lower rpm driving that is before the turbo kicks in will help to know the problem better.

do check ur exhaust system for some bent pipes and hope the CAT is in condition not clogged.

also check to see ur record if u have been using 50/50 mix coolant / water

Last edited by 2fast4u : 18th June 2007 at 15:18.
Old 18th June 2007, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek
can damaged head gasket can also cause problem of heating?
Of course,yes.
How did U manage to damage a Honda's gasket??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 18:20   #10
BHPian

i dont know,may be car runned without coolant or water?this can damage it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Of course,yes.
Old 18th June 2007, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Of course,yes.
is it that difficult to damage

Quote:
i dont know,may be car runned without coolant or water?this can damage it?

man you have a turbo installed and dont tell me u dont know what could happen without coolant.

Last edited by adya33 : 19th June 2007 at 01:14.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
is it that difficult to damage

man you have a turbo installed and dont tell me u dont know what could happen without coolant.
ofcourse i do know what can happen without water or coolant.
i was just telling possibility of how gasket can damaged.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
just a tip if u find it overheating too much in traffic try using the heater to let the heat out and keep an eye on the temp needle to see if it helps in getting the temp down if not its best to switch off the engine. (keep the windows open) LOL

LET ME KNOW UR COOLANT CONSUMPTION

make sure u dont revv too much or long trips till this is sorted.

dont worry about the paint buddy get whatever sensors u need to check and replace (dadus post) or as they say your module which may need reprogram if the turbo was aftermarket as the heat management is not right and this may get your head pistons fried and maybe a possible seizure. btw hope u are not getting some pinging in engine.

hope ur water pump is working - on cold engine open the radiator cap start the engine and see if the water is circulating. ALSO one equipment that may need an upgrade for more circulation with your turbo fit.

do check the engine heating issue on lower rpm driving that is before the turbo kicks in will help to know the problem better.

do check ur exhaust system for some bent pipes and hope the CAT is in condition not clogged.

also check to see ur record if u have been using 50/50 mix coolant / water
checked my water pump today.its working fine and water is circulating under the boneet.
engine is also heating at lower rpms.even as low as 1000 rpm.as when i start my car and remains it like that for say 5-10 min,in that time only engine gets heated up.
will check my exhaust system today and will let u know.
how can CAT be restored if clogged?
yes i m using 70-30 combination of coolant and water.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:57   #14
BHPian

if its 70/30 by manuf then maintain same cause usually its 50/50

let me know your COOLANT CONSUMPTION or how often do you top up ur radiator / reservoir.

hope ur pressure cap is working fine quite a cheap thing which has a lot to do.
Old 19th June 2007, 17:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
if its 70/30 by manuf then maintain same cause usually its 50/50

let me know your COOLANT CONSUMPTION or how often do you top up ur radiator / reservoir.

hope ur pressure cap is working fine quite a cheap thing which has a lot to do.
i cant really tell about coolant consuption exactly.coz sometimes reservoirs cap pops open(may be because of steam).so i have to fill coolant in it,but in radiator i dont have to top it up.
pressure cap should befine because got it changed two months before(same one at the top of the radiator na?)