Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2007, 16:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i think its cat con smell only, change your brand of fuel and see usually this helps
Wow...

I will try this. Much safer than taking the car to Honda.
But do you think it will work? Why? Just curious.

BTW, I wanted to ask - you said this is quite common with MPFI cars.
Do you mean carb cars fitted with cat con won't have this problem?

Just curious to know the technical aspect here.

Thanks,
Anand
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 16:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

i have noticed this most often with efi petrol cars, and with speed iKON was notorious but with IOC smell changed quite a bit.

oh yeah my swift d also has a very different exhaust smell when cold not really pungent but yes very different.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 16:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

OK.
Any suggestion - which fuel I should try?

I am always on SPEED while in the city and Relience while away.

In fact I remember I filled SPEED-97 in the first week of May just to see if if makes any difference. It did not so switched back to regular SPEED after that. Had a trip outstation a couple of weeks ago where used relience...

Do you "smell" SPEED 97 to be the culprit?

Should I try POWER or someting?

Will it sort of "clean-up" or "regenerate" cat-con to some extent?
Old 20th June 2007, 18:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

I trust IOC, not super duper brew with magic properties but very reliable if bought from direct outlets.

No, fuels will not do any cleaning up or anything for cat con.

Since you are using a Honda, try regular IOC or IOC premium and see if there is a difference, ensure you have minimal of other brand before you tank up and give it atleast 100 kms before you conclude.

Again let me repeat that this is a hunch.
Old 20th June 2007, 19:15   #20
BHPian

I had exacrly, exactly the same problem with my Indica XETA.Follow the instructions to identify if its the problem I had.

Move your key to start position not the ignition position.

Then ignite the engine.

The smell should come

Open the bonnet.

The smell should have gone away.

From the engine, you will see there is an alluminum cord (like that of a bicycle brake).

Pull that and the rpm should increase, make the engine really hot.

If the smell is thir there is problem with the MPFI system, the fuel injectors have got demaged/ the clutch is a bit fused.

If these are not the symtoms then follow on.

It may be a coolant leakage/ engine oil level is low. Check them. If they are leaking, get it rectified and fill new fuel.
neel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 20:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i think its cat con smell only, change your brand of fuel and see usually this helps
I'd agree with this one. Has a weird smell after start- up for my wagonR too. But its not too pungent.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 08:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Last night, it was raining with no wind at all. So I could find out that the smell is actually coming from the tail pipe. Hence, I think, if it's windy (like it is most of the time here), then the smell spreads and I get it near the front of the car as well.

When I reached home after 20 minutes of driving, and got down to check on the smell (leaving the engine idling in neutral), no smell at all. Then turned the engine OFF, waited for 30 seconds or so, started engine again - and no smell.

What does this indicate? It smells only till the cat con warms up? And is this normal? How severe should the exhaust smell be (till cat con warm up) so as to flag it as a problem???

If it has to do with the battery (initial starting load causing some burning...) should it not smell on every engine start (irrespective of how warm or cold the engine is)?

Neel: I could not find the aluminium cord in the engine bay. Does NHC have it? What is it for?

Thanks for the patience friends.

I hope you guys appreciate that it's wise for me to check a few basic possibilities before going to Deccan Honda.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

its catcon smell and as i said fuel you use has to do lots also, its quite normal and even seen in some brand new car.

NHC am not sure if its fly by wire throttle, then you wont have the throttle cable to pull
Old 21st June 2007, 12:18   #24
BHPian

I've also noticed this bad smell from my Dad's OHC. But it never persisted. So did not pursue the matter with service guys too. I had a doubt that it is of the CAT.
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 17:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

No updates from me...have'nt taken the car to Honda yet. In the meanwhile, it's raining quite well here and I can't get the smell unless I go closer to tail pipe.

Mods: Please keep the thread open. I will post updates/finidings as soon as available and in the meanwhile, others can share their views/experiences. Thanks!
Old 13th July 2007, 12:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Update: The smell has gone away.
I do not know what happened!

I was waiting for my tank to get empty to try and switch to another fuel but even that has not happened yet.

So, nothing happened, nothing done. The smell has been abscent for last 2 weeks or so...

What can we make out of this???
Old 13th July 2007, 14:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Anand - Divine intervention to your fervent prayers !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 15:03   #28
Team-BHP Support

whats the climate you are having out there for last 2 weeks
Old 13th July 2007, 15:50   #29
BHPian

Anand, check the water level in your battery. It must have dried up. A friend of mine had a similar problem - rotten egg smell all over and we went nuts trying to find the source. Then a road side mechanic traced it to the battery - it was bone dry. During running, the battery warmed up and acid fumes wafted into the car. Bomi.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 16:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Climat has beome monsoon-like.

In the first of these 2 weeks - it was raining everyday (very heady rains for a couple of days) and in the second week it's been generally cloudy with occasional showers...

Regarding battery - I had taken the car to Honda around 2 weeks ago for some other work but got them to check the battery (specific gravity check using hydroscope). All cells were OK.

So either the cloudy weather or the act of opening the battery may have made the difference???