Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 18:49   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,742
Thanked: 7,449 Times
Default

battery does give smell in some case, but will not be so obvious if the engine bay is closed

my inlaws zen mpfi has the same problem and this car does very less running (5km a week) and generally it gives a foul smell when cold.

its cat con smell for sure and can be due to many reasons:

either cat con not hot enough
bad quality of fuel
injectors giving bad fuel flow
additives in a particular fuel
broken pipe will cause the smell to leak from underneath the car and can be smelt from the inside if windows are down
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 17:49   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Even I have started getting bad smell in WagonR for over a month now. It does reduce for a day or two after vaccum cleaning, but persists.

Very pronounced just after starting the car, specially when I start speeding up.

Check out some reasons for car smells on Car Smells, Fumes and Odors Questions
megger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 18:34   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Even I have started getting bad smell in WagonR for over a month now. It does reduce for a day or two after vaccum cleaning, but persists.

Very pronounced just after starting the car, specially when I start speeding up.

Check out some reasons for car smells on Car Smells, Fumes and Odors Questions
Replace Floor mats; and check if AC is working fine.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 19:47   #34
BHPian
 
kamy450's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 244
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i heard lot of new car have this problem including mine first i thought some rat or lizard might have been in AC grill but when got it checked in service center nothing found. it went off slowly by itself in few days. Still i am rounded on what it was??
kamy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 12:43   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,450
Thanked: 955 Times
Default

Well...no updates from me for a long time...I am simply observing...
I think the smell is from the exhaust and typically for initial few seconds after starting (may be till the cat con has reached it's optimum temp.)...so I guess it should not be "reported" as a problem. Also, the smell comes only (let's say ~40% of the times...may be not detected on the remaining 60 % of the times due to weather conditions, wind direction, surrounding ambient air quality and the fuel being used...I guess)...

Don't know what to do with this thread. Mods?

May be - leave it open for everyone to discuss...the root cause is only guessed till now.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:50   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai/delhi
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Well, even I faced a similar problem recently with my zen mpfi(2000) after i got a tacho installed. As soon as i would turn the car on, the smell would come. It also came when the horn was pressed, even when the car was not on. But, after about half an hour...it became history. Convenience, I tell you.
vidurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Smell from Car - Suspect Dead Rodent inside FFE !!!! Mi10 Technical Stuff 8 10th August 2010 18:18
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
Petrol smell when starting Ikon Flair shalini_g Technical Stuff 0 18th August 2008 13:39
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks