Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2007, 10:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default baleno making kr..kr..kr..kr noise

Hi all buddies,
I am facing this problem of baleno making kr kr kr kind of noise when accelerating in any gear.it has been for sometime now.Please let me know possible cause of trouble.
Off late findings during my shiridi visit along with this noise was:
Baleno rpm was going high towards the end of ghat section, became normal later on. is my clutch failing?
Ac no ,off is highly noticeable as she shudders like a carb car.
Is my cam timing belt going to pack off.
Replaced the plugs after she was a bit erratic in idling, earlier gap of plug was .4mm but now made it .75mm. observed burn marks on previous plug.
0-100 is taking more time and she is not spooling up as she used to when acclerator is slammed in 5th gear at 40kmph.
do i need to check the tappet clearances. will service center do it properly. i am scared of them opening up the engine.
crossed 70kms.
when ac comes on noticed voltage going to 12v, also the shuddering is more evident when the voltage is aroung 12.
this kr kr noise is not evident to passengers only me!!!

Last edited by gigy : 20th June 2007 at 10:24.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

nobody to help on baleno trouble?
Old 20th June 2007, 15:31   #3
BHPian

from many forum members posts i have read .4 seems to be the best setting. pm supremobaleno

Overrevving and car not moving at the pace it should normally will indicate clutch failing and can be noticed in steep inclinces where a downshift will be required and rpms increasing with less momentum will be evident.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 20th June 2007 at 15:34.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think you fan belt is loose....this also causes the voltage fluctuation.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think you fan belt is loose....this also causes the voltage fluctuation.
the fan belt sound is so loud and evident - he could have figured that out with ease.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:55   #6

Looks like a clutch plate problem...
san_pandey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 16:01   #7

2. Check alternator charging.
3. Firing order. Misfiring.
4. Open the engine cover n see if the engine judders at low RPM( AC OFF/ON). If Yes then get the ECU checked along with HT harness
san_pandey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 18:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

have you showed your car at a competent garage?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 19:05   #9
BHPian

not sure about your cars performance being affected but the krrrr.krrr noise could also be a damaged fender lining touching your tyres as i found out in my car few days back.
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 22:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the inputs buddies.
voltage is normally 14 but goes down to 12 when ac starts up takes some time to come back to 13-14v.there is whining sound from the engine bay itself but its there for almost a year.alternator belt condition is ok. dont know about its bearing and the pulleys.the engine vibration is noticeable when the ac cuts in and voltage falls.
there is nothing rubbing on the tyres.
the noise is not there even when redlining it while stationary. it comes on while on road and slam accelerating.
can axles slip on high torque?
will ac amplifier failure cause check engine light to come on or will it show in OBD tool? i doubt if it is not working.then ecu is not spooling up when ac comes on and engine struggles to take up sudden unknown load. is it possible?
normal service i used to do it as DIY. replacement i give it to a know mechanic who knows to replace but not fault isolation at higher level. major problem then have to take it to sai service. i wanted to isolate possible problem before handing the car over to them and wait outside with my bank balance.
Old 20th June 2007, 22:14   #11
BHPian

Cool maruti A.S.S is best

i think the best option is of going to agency, they know your car better and handles it with care like no one else will do. Rest depends on you. Please keep us updated.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
voltage is normally 14 but goes down to 12 when ac starts up takes some time to come back to 13-14v
Pretty normal readings.. Any idea what is the "current" reading on the mutimeter?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 11:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

at 12v the engine vibrates which is visible on the steering wheel like the old esteem. once upon a time there was no such issues,. didnt notice ac coming on and off except via cooling.i read in the suzuki manual that as soon as ac is switched on the ac amplifier sends signal to the ecu and it spools up accordingly before engaging the compressor, that way everything should work out smooth.
i have a voltmeter always connected. cant measure current as my multimeter has maximum range of 10amps.
i tightened the tensioner for ac and power steering belt three turns since its a new one and was not retorqued after first installation. on reving the engine at idle with all electrical load on at 4000rpm there was this sharp sound like bearing rubbing, so reduced one turn.there is enough play left on belt.power steering has become lighter like before.ac vibration has reduced a bit i think.
anyways decided to change the clutch first through my local mechanic.will buy him the spares.
any recommendations while changing clutch? which spares? economical ones. the one i had is harder to operate? is softer one adviced?i have burnt the present one in less than 30kms.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Hi all buddies,
I am facing this problem of baleno making kr kr kr kind of noise when accelerating in any gear
One of the reason could be poor quality petrol. Try out a different bunk (shell or Reliance)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried tracing the source of the sound.. I had this sound as if water was sloshing around coming from the right side of the car.. turned out that it was the mud flaps touching the wheel..
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote