Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd June 2007, 00:50   #1

Default How to soften the ride in GETZ

I find the suspension of my stock 2005 Getz very stiff and uncomfortable when compared to most other cars
and quite dis-concerting to a pregnant woman .
The car is mainly used for city transportation ( speeds below 60 kmph).

Please suggest something which :

A)damps out the road ,
B)the car will lose its roughness and jerks over bumps...
C) eliminates side to side rocking over bad surfaces

Advice would be really appreciated
Ikhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost get the shockers checked, they should be smooth. If the vehicle has had major accidents earlier/ driven rashly, suspension also needs to be checked.

Ask the expecting lady to sit on the front seats ONLY and drive slowly on the bumps/ SB's.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

check tyre pressure first.

getz was always reported to have a soft suspension??
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

I travelled a bit in Getz and I found the suspension to be comparitively softer than my Palio. As people have suggested, you should get your tire pressure checked and if the problem still persists, you can then go for suspension check/change to higher profile tires. I am not sure about the stock tire size of Getz.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Get the stock Getz GVS tyres if possible. They are 155/70.
Also check air pressure.
Getz is not hard sprung, so either the shockers have gone bad, or you are running tires at high pressure.
Can you post the specs written on your tyres and their make etc,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:29   #6
BHPian

A little contrasting if you ask me. If you feel the ride is hard then you wouldnt be noticing too much side to side rocking. The rocking is indicative of a softly sprung suspension and this could increase if you soften your springs. Mostly the springs and/or dampers are gone and you might need to replace them. The other option as mentioned would be to go for higher profile tyres.

Try getting some cushions/pillows to rest your back and support you on the sides. That should help and provide enough comfort. Probably seat belts could help in restraining too much rocking motion.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:21   #7
BHPian

To avoid the rocking motion, either drive very slowly over uneven surfaces, or drive fast over them. I think the suspension is hard and designed for comfort at higher speeds. With a pregnant lady, better to drive slowly over uneven surfaces.

BTW, what tyre pressure are you filling. The recommendation is 30 PSI for front and 30 PSI for rear (for 2 persons); 33 PSI for rear (fully loaded car).
In my case, as only my 5 year old daughter uses the rear seat, I stick to 30 PSI only for all 4 tyres (stock Goodyear tyres which came with GVS).

Last edited by risga : 22nd June 2007 at 16:22.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 18:59   #8

thanks to all those who have replied

Few months back I got the 3rd free service and the senior technician at Hyundai Motor Plaza ,New Delhi assured me that the shockers were in good condition. I am using the stock tyres 175/70 R13 and since the car is driven 12000 kms the tyres are in pretty good condition

I personally think that Getz has a stiff/ hard suspension more suited / tuned to blacktops
Which is why the car cruises brilliantly over smooth roads at both ( high and low ) speeds

The worst aspect is the "rocking " at slow speeds not at high speeds which I believe indicates a stiff suspension
My wife who is expecting now prefers the back seat if only marginally .

And It is when I drive over bad roads at slow speeds that things get from bad to worse
Each and every road bump filters in the cabin and makes the passengers feel rather uncomfortable . Which I seek to remedy !!
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

Rocking at slow speeds can also be due to bent rims or bent steel belts in your tires. In worst cases this can be caused due to suspension issues.
Your car is under warranty, so go to Hyundai and take a test drive. A getz DOES NOT ROCK at slow speeds, rocking is a problem.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 19:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A getz DOES NOT ROCK at slow speeds, rocking is a problem.
The most irritating thing in a Getz is rocking at low speeds,in other words,bad low speed ride quality,right from day one,so this is definitely not a suspension or tyre problem..I've driven 38000 km on city roads,highways,village roads etc & found two solutions to this....load up the car OR drive fast over bad roads....the rocking literally disappears.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 20:57   #11

hi chandan ,

I am glad that I found someone who has actually driven getz ... The idea behind posting here was to find some solution from some technically sound people on this forum. More than anything I believe that this would be the bad tuning of the suspension or something which they have not modified to indian conditions.

I am assuming that since you have driven 38K you must have bought the car in 2005.

Interestingly , The May 2007 issue of AUTOCAR and I quote
" The soft suspension is surprisingly pliant and the tall tyres absorb a large percentage of road bumps and irregularities . Small bumps and potholes can be felt but the ride never feels stiff. . The stiff and modern monocoque chasis the car is built on helps here. Ride quality at high speeds is even better and overall stability good . But the flipside of the good ride is the slightly soggy handling"

Now this definitely doesnt sound the getz I ride on.
Do you think that they have modified the suspension since its launch?
Can we confirm the same from AUTOCAR or from Hyundai itself?

And possibly have the same thing done for my car too .
Old 29th June 2007, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Ikhanna,

As far as I know no changes in suspension have been made by the company since launch.Even the Getz prime has the same set up & adjustments.Initially,I thought the problem was due to my tyres(195/60 R 14),but I took a drive in a car with normal tyres & found the same problem.I've been driving an esteem for over 8 years now & it took a lot of time to get used to the rocking in Getz.Now,most of the time I have three sandbags in my boot,so that the rocking reduces.Try it & feel the difference.As far as handling goes,my Getz does a fantastic job on the highways...probably because of the wide tyres.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 17:23   #13

If no changes have been made to the suspension setup , would you agree with the statement of AUTOCAR about the getz ride and handling

" But the flipside of the good ride is the slightly soggy handling"

Because whatever the getz maybe , it defintely doesnt have soggy handling ? Does any1 have any way to cross - check with hyundai abouth the changes made to getz ( if any )