Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th July 2017, 20:03   #46
BHPian

Default Re: How to Clean the Engine Bay ?

Thought I should share this video on how to clean the engine bay on this thread. Also illustrates many misktakes people might be making during the cleaning/detailing process.

Though many may consider cleaning the engine bay a waste of time given the Indian road conditions, some of us still like it spanking clean.

Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 23:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Thought I should share this video on how to clean the engine bay on this thread. Also illustrates many misktakes people might be making during the cleaning/detailing process.
The video you linked involves lot of wastages. He tells you to use microfibers to sop up the dirt, once any grease/gunk gets on it, you cannot use it again despite washing. You'll have to bin them. Using 10-15 microfibers to wash an engine bay is wasteful IMO.

This is a pragmatic approach to cleaning an engine bay

Once the engine is squeaky clean, I use a regimen similar to below video for maintenance washes, except I dont use any dressing.

For the proof of pudding, I have shared pictures of my engine bay here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4218136 (Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia)
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:24   #48
BHPian

In our place, when we take a car to some of the service stations, they open up the hood and clean the engine bay also. I never allowed anyone to do it on my cars and I have a reason for it.
IT'S NOT SAFE.!
There are a lot of things that can go wrong due to the high pressure washer including the wiring harness,fuse box and even the ECU.
If you really want a cleaner engine bay, just wipe using a damp cloth or something. Never use a pressure washer as in the service station if you love your car. And always make sure you have covered all the electrical connections in case you are using water as it is.
Anyway, you cannot maintain a perfectly clean engine bay in our roads.
( It's all my personal opinion )
JozfGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

actually, if you take a few precautions, it is perfectly safe to clean engine bay with pressure washer. Here is how you can go about it as safe as possible. First use a dry cloth to remove dust from engine wherever possible. Then apply a degreaser in 1:10 ratio with water and use bottle sprayer to spray it all over the engine, esp in dirty nooks & crannies. Let it dwell for 10-15 mins. Use a toothbrush or some brush and agitate all surfaces and crannies with grease and muck.

Now you can use pressure washer and blow away the grime. Just hold the nozzle at a metre or two away from the engine bay and do not point it directly for more than 2 secs at electrical connectors, alternator, starter etc. Keep moving nozzle all over and do not hold direct spray over any particular part for more than a moment. Nothing will go wrong with this method. The engine bay will remain clean for over 6 months with this method.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote