Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th June 2007, 11:35   #1
BHPian

Default Strange water leak in my car

I have got water leak in my Palio. Strange thing is, water not leaking from the roof or door side, no sign from anywhere. Water is lodging in right back seat's floor, exactly behind driver's seat, even left floor is comletely dry. I noticed, it happens whenever I wash my car once in a week. Cause I drive it only on weekends

I tried to find out the source myself, now only thing left is remove roofmat and floormat completly and check the leak. But I want to avoid removing company fitted mats.

TBhpians help will be appricited.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 11:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is a small rubber plug just below your door above the side skirt. make sure that it is in place. Else get it checked.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 11:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Pawan, if you wash the underbody of your car with a pipe ensure that the water drain plug on your floor has not worn out. If it has then there are chances that water is seeping in through that open hole in the floor. There are four drain plugs on the floor. Since you have a problem why not replace all four and drive trouble free through water logged areas.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats funny better get it checked thoroughly.
water can seap in through "door, window or rear ws" cant think of any other source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Cause I drive it only on weekends

hehe even i do the same, thanks to traffic
btw i think you have posted this thread in wrong section, it should have been posted in "Technical" section.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 11:50   #5
BHPian

@Moral: I dont wash underbody. Though I will have to check water drain plug. Cause water is not draining. I used to remove it using spunch.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
There is a small rubber plug just below your door above the side skirt. make sure that it is in place. Else get it checked.
I checked that too. :(
Old 25th June 2007, 12:10   #7
BHPian

I have had a similar experience in my friend's Zen. The culprit was the pipe that was connected to the ac unit, that had come loose. This pipe is there to carry the condensed water from the ac unit outside.

Check and eliminate this possiblity by driving without the ac.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 12:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

@pawan, I had a similar problem a couple of years back. But in my case, the carpet of the driver-side as well as passenger-side footwells were wet.

The problem was with the A/C dumping water into the car from some part behind the dashboard. The service people said this is a fairly common problem.

(This had nothing to do with washing the car, though. Some piping somewhere in the A/C's line got choked, and that was fixed easily). Try feeling behind the dash (right behind the center-console and see if that part is moist/wet. If so, the water is coming from the A/C.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 12:33   #9
BHPian

oh.. is it ? .. I use AC in my car. I wil have to check.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

I doubt it is the A/C pipe doing the damage because if I read correctly your back seats floor is getting wet right? In case of an A/C pipe choke only the front passenger side floor will get wet.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@pawan, I had a similar problem a couple of years back. But in my case, the carpet of the driver-side as well as passenger-side footwells were wet.

The problem was with the A/C dumping water into the car from some part behind the dashboard. The service people said this is a fairly common problem.

(This had nothing to do with washing the car, though. Some piping somewhere in the A/C's line got choked, and that was fixed easily). Try feeling behind the dash (right behind the center-console and see if that part is moist/wet. If so, the water is coming from the A/C.
I read somewhere that the older Palios (pre-NV) had this problem as the A/C cut-off temperature was pretty low. Fiat claims that this problem has been rectified from NVs. I have an NV for close to 4 years and I have not faced this problem.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 12:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I doubt it is the A/C pipe doing the damage because if I read correctly your back seats floor is getting wet right? In case of an A/C pipe choke only the front passenger side floor will get wet.
thats what i read too. the plugs should be the first to be checked.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 13:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Yeah, In my case front driver seat floor is totally dry.
Old 25th June 2007, 13:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

You know Pawan I just went to the parking lot to see what the possible places of a leak can be. Check the following:

1) The rubber beading where the door meets the roof. The rubber possible has worn out. (Rubber wearing out can cause many leaks and troubles you see ).
2) Once you open the door there are two drain holes in the rear door, check if they are clogged.
3) Any gaps in the window frame?

Let me know.
Old 25th June 2007, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Check wether the window shuts completely as well and there is no minute gap.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote