Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th June 2007, 20:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

My Sienna diesel had a starting problem, i.e., laboured cranking. Dealer said that motor had to be replaced. Got my regular mechanic to remove the starter. Took it to a good electrician who diagnosed a worn out brush assembly. Procured a Mico brush assembly for Rs 650/-. Got it replaced for Rs150 and paid the mechanic Rs 200/-. Total cost Rs1000/- and 4 hours of my time.
Quote at the dealer end - Rs 7000/-.

Last edited by jyobeb : 25th June 2007 at 20:04.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 00:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:I thought U find good service in the US at every street corner.
they may have good infrastructure, equipment, (billing) software, waiting lounges, warranties, all backed by insurance. all of these translate into higher costs.

still nothing matches the expertise, inclination and the will to help out the customer.

on the other hand, going by the route jyobeb took may have proved costlier here. getting a new motor installed (get a rebate on exchanging old one) is a simpler task. labor is upwards of 40$ per hour.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 00:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
My Sienna diesel had a starting problem, i.e., laboured cranking. Dealer said that motor had to be replaced. Got my regular mechanic to remove the starter. Took it to a good electrician who diagnosed a worn out brush assembly. Procured a Mico brush assembly for Rs 650/-. Got it replaced for Rs150 and paid the mechanic Rs 200/-. Total cost Rs1000/- and 4 hours of my time.

well sundaram has gotten smart by quoting a 1.2k bill to start of with and gradually increasing it via phone :P at that point i was like just do whatever it takes and quit calling me

anyways i dont really know any good mechanics so not willing to risk the way you took.. but had sundaram told me outright i would have explored other options
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 09:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Does the FIAT engines take more time to start. I hope its not a problem wih my starter motor too!!!!!!! My adventure takes atleast 2 seconds long to get started. WHile i have not experienced this on any other car. Could someone help me on what/how should i check if there is anything wrong???
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 09:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The Rs. 650/- stuff could be the starter solenoid. In most of the scenarios this is the culprit but the dealers ask for the entire set to be replaced hence it cost more.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 10:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect View Post
The Rs. 650/- stuff could be the starter solenoid. In most of the scenarios this is the culprit but the dealers ask for the entire set to be replaced hence it cost more.
I think I know my cars. What I replaced was the 4 brush assembly on which 2 brushes were completely worn out. The solenoid is a far more expensive proposition (in the fiat at least)
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
any kind of driving would not affect the starter, it's only used to START the engine. and then it stays idle.

battery was dead? there must have been some other short circuit. AFAIK, starter motor is open circuited until you crank it with the key ON. so even if there was a short circuit inside it, it would not be connected to the battery in first place.
Yeah i thought so too, turns out that shortcircuit was not an issue related to the starter motor but more of a ignition related one. Any way i was shown the blown starter and was needing the car so just changed it
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 18:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Does the FIAT engines take more time to start. I hope its not a problem wih my starter motor too!!!!!!! My adventure takes atleast 2 seconds long to get started. WHile i have not experienced this on any other car. Could someone help me on what/how should i check if there is anything wrong???
shud not.

my car had this problem and the cause was a weak (worn out) starter. replaced it and it came back to normal. keep it as long as it works. but someday it may just go dead (happens to all starters, eventually)
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 18:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

got my car back they only replaced the sensor and overhauled the starting motor and total bill is 3.2k
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 20:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 1.2 clocked exactly at 77776 kms and i didnt had a single issue with the starter.. It starts jst at half crank even in winters..

Get it checked.. how old is your battery..?
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 10:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
I have a 1.2 clocked exactly at 77776 kms and i didnt had a single issue with the starter.. It starts jst at half crank even in winters..

Get it checked.. how old is your battery..?
Oh! i just bought the vehicle 4 months back. But its a 2006 sept batch vehicle.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 14:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

There was someone who also had the same problem, and it was diagnosed by a local electrician as the solenoid. However, the A.s.S were chring about8 K to change the tneire starter motor and assembly.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 20:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! i just bought the vehicle 4 months back. But its a 2006 sept batch vehicle.
Then you should get it checked during the regular servicing.. I dont think it would be much of a problem but still...
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote