Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2007, 10:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dinesh - Confirm with one of the higher-ups at Prime Honda about this, I'm pretty sure that the new V6 Accord has a 5-sp gearbox now which was earlier a 4-sp.

EDIT: Yup, just checked the new gearbox is indeed 5-sp on both the 2.4 & V6 models. More specs here:

Specification

Last edited by iraghava : 3rd July 2007 at 10:49. Reason: Added Link
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

V anyday outperforms any inline whether its bike or car.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:38   #18
BHPian

I think if you re so much into speeds that you are worried about half seconds , then automatic is not fun .Real drive is the maual no matter who says what secondly V6 hondas are know gas guzzlers and anyhting above 6KMPL would be a bouns for you , go for 2.4 i guess
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 16:25   #19
BANNED

Hi guys

Quote:
V anyday outperforms any inline whether its bike or car.
True , if both the cars and bikes have same gear box . But this is not the case here. The V6 has a fluid torque converter ( read plain jane auto trans ) and 2.4 inline has solid traction gear box ( read good old manual transmission ). Hence all this discussion.

@rubin
I agree with you , auto is no fun. Nothing beats the manual. When you have your right hand on the wheel to keep the car in a straight line, your left hand on the gear stick working through the gears, flooring the accelerator and clutch alternatively and watching the speedo needle climbing up; nothing beats the feeling .
The 2.4 litre Accord is a sweet car. I seriously love this car.
But my situation is a little bit complicated.
For example if I buy the 2.4 inline by shelling out 14.5-15 lac and one day people coming to my place to have a look at my car. Now someone or the other out of the crowd will say " Oh ! You got the 2.4 litre , the "cheapest" amoungst the Accords "
Now I seriously do not want to hear the word " cheapest " after shelling out 15 lacs ( 15 lac on a car is a big amount , at least for me ). Also , I don't like buying the base trim of any vehicle.
The main reasons for the V6 are the V6 engine and I don't have to listen to crap like the "Cheapest Accord".
The V6 may have some other toys more the the 2.4 litre , but I could care less.
I don't like ABS; I don't want some stupid microchip determining how the brakes should or should not be applied.
I don't like balloons popping out ( read Airbags )of the dashboard and steering wheel. I say if you like to drive at triple digits , be a man enough to face the consequences. Otherwise stay at home and watch Mickey Mouse.
I don't want to be surrounded by fancy gadgets because I don't need to be pampered like a two year old baby.
What I want is a nice V6 engine coupled with a nice smooth manual trans , something which Honda SIEL is not providing as of now.

I know that the V6 goes 6 kms to a litre and 2.4 inline goes 8-9 kms to a litre , but FE is not a big thing for me in this case.
Because I have my sweet NHC which gives 17-18 kms ( in city , AC on). So for Accord I want all performance , so a quarter of a sec is a big thing.

In a nutshell, 2.4 litre is good car but does not sound good and V6 sound good but not a great car.

Regards

Dinesh
Dinesh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 17:10   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now someone or the other out of the crowd will say " Oh ! You got the 2.4 litre , the "cheapest" amoungst the Accords "
Now I seriously do not want to hear the word " cheapest " after shelling out 15 lacs ( 15 lac on a car is a big amount , at least for me ). Also , I don't like buying the base trim of any vehicle.
The main reasons for the V6 are the V6 engine and I don't have to listen to crap like the "Cheapest Accord".
The V6 may have some other toys more the the 2.4 litre , but I could care less.
Why buy a car for what others think? The "cheapest" Accord is still very well-equipped. I say go for the 2.4.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 18:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh99 View Post
But my situation is a little bit complicated.
For example if I buy the 2.4 inline by shelling out 14.5-15 lac and one day people coming to my place to have a look at my car. Now someone or the other out of the crowd will say " Oh ! You got the 2.4 litre , the "cheapest" amoungst the Accords "
Regards

Dinesh
You think your problems are solved if you buy the V6 accord . Your people will say that you bought the cheapest D-segment V6 whereas you could have bought a Teana, 3series, Superb or C-class. Maybe its time to start hanging out with a different crowd.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 19:13   #22
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You think your problems are solved if you buy the V6 accord . Maybe its time to start hanging out with a different crowd.
Fully agree with MPower.
Quote:
I don't like ABS; I don't want some stupid microchip determining how the brakes should or should not be applied.
I don't like balloons popping out ( read Airbags )of the dashboard and steering wheel. I say if you like to drive at triple digits , be a man enough to face the consequences.
Do you mean to say that all the people in the world aren't man enough to drive at 3 digit speeds just because they have ABS and Airbags ? It would be very wise to re-consider the above statements.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 02:02   #23
BANNED

Hi GTO

I don't care much about what people think but I don't like to buy the base trim of any model. But as I said before I love the 2.4 inline and I have one more reason go for the 2.4 . The 2.4 has iVTEC engine and the V6 has a VTEC engine. I might go for the V6 only and only if it comes with a 6 speed manual , otherwise it's 2.4 inline for me.

Hi MPower & Hi RJK

If someone says " the cheaper Accord " that is not exactly a "problem" for me. But it is something I don't like to hear.

As for ABS : I said I don't like ABS ; I didn't say it is a bad thing.
The thing is I been driving for long time and have driven many vehicles in all sorts of conditions ( bad brakes, no brakes , slipping gear box etc ) and also vehicles in tip-top condition.
I have more faith in my driving skills than some microchip. If someone has doubts about their driving skills and likes to trust a microchip then ABS is good for them.
This does not mean that if my car has ABS as standard, I will take a chain-saw and rip the ABS unit from under the hood.

What I am trying to say is that , in my case ,the absence or presence of ABS is not going to be a deciding factor while choosing cars.

About the man thing and balloons.
The presence or absence of any equipment will not make anyone more or less of a man.
Many people with fast and fancy cars which have "popping balloons" tend to use the city roads and expressways as their personal race tracks. many times accidents occur . Now if the car hits a tree or a road block or a divider then it is O.K. , because a car can be always repaired.
But what if instead of a tree, the car mows down innocent by-standers or hit a two wheeler . The consequences of the "joyride-gone-bad" is not limited to the precious head of the fancy car driver. What about the by-stander whose head is getting violently banged on the metal hood or being crushed between the fat michellins and tarmac.
I have nothing against "popping balloons " , but " popping balloons " tend to make many ( not all ) drivers drive really recklessly. All I am saying is that if someone does not hesitate to gamble with other people's life and limb , please do not "chicken-out" and hide behind "popping balloons" when it comes to put your own life and limb on the line. Be a man and face the consequences of your actions.
(No offence indented towards the owners of cars with " microchip brakes" and "popping balloons")

Regards
Dinesh
Dinesh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 08:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi GTO

I don't care much about what people think but I don't like to buy the base trim of any model. But as I said before I love the 2.4 inline and I have one more reason go for the 2.4 . The 2.4 has iVTEC engine and the V6 has a VTEC engine. I might go for the V6 only and only if it comes with a 6 speed manual , otherwise it's 2.4 inline for me.

Hi MPower & Hi RJK

If someone says " the cheaper Accord " that is not exactly a "problem" for me. But it is something I don't like to hear.

The thing is I been driving for long time and have driven many vehicles in all sorts of conditions ( bad brakes, no brakes , slipping gear box etc ) and also vehicles in tip-top condition.
I have more faith in my driving skills than some microchip. If someone has doubts about their driving skills and likes to trust a microchip then ABS is good for them.
This does not mean that if my car has ABS as standard, I will take a chain-saw and rip the ABS unit from under the hood.

What I am trying to say is that , in my case ,the absence or presence of ABS is not going to be a deciding factor while choosing cars.

The presence or absence of any equipment will not make anyone more or less of a man.
Many people with fast and fancy cars which have "popping balloons" tend to use the city roads and expressways as their personal race tracks. many times accidents occur . Now if the car hits a tree or a road block or a divider then it is O.K. , because a car can be always repaired.
But what if instead of a tree, the car mows down innocent by-standers or hit a two wheeler . The consequences of the "joyride-gone-bad" is not limited to the precious head of the fancy car driver. What about the by-stander whose head is getting violently banged on the metal hood or being crushed between the fat michellins and tarmac.
I have nothing against "popping balloons " , but " popping balloons " tend to make many ( not all ) drivers drive really recklessly. All I am saying is that if someone does not hesitate to gamble with other people's life and limb , please do not "chicken-out" and hide behind "popping balloons" when it comes to put your own life and limb on the line. Be a man and face the consequences of your actions.
(No offence indented towards the owners of cars with " microchip brakes" and "popping balloons")

Regards
Dinesh
Your attitude is like the Italian drivers - when asked why they dont wear seat belts, they said seat belts are when you have an accident. You have an accident if you are a bad driver. We are all great drivers, so we dont wear seatbelts!

If you are a mature adult, you would drive safely (not necessarily associated with speed). Majority of the time, accidents are caused by negligence of other drivers on the road and not yourself. These are aids to make you safe despite idiots being given driving licenses (or rather licenses to kill is some cases).
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:35   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh99
Incase you didn't know most of your engine too is managed by a microchip. Amongst a hoard of other features. You should see ABS work in cars like the Elantra and see the difference it makes. For the good, I mean.

Quote:
I don't like balloons popping out ( read Airbags ) of the dashboard and steering wheel. I say if you like to drive at triple digits , be a man enough to face the consequences.
Those balloons could save your life you know. Even if you are at 40kmph and you have one of our mad truckers gunning straight for your neck. Do look around the accident thread once. You will get a fair idea.

Quote:
I don't want to be surrounded by fancy gadgets because I don't need to be pampered like a two year old baby.
So when can I have the TD of your Caterham? Or Ariel Atom? Even a FISSME would do actually.

Quote:
What I want is a nice V6 engine coupled with a nice smooth manual trans
Oh and with a V6 you intend to clock 2 digit figures (read on the speedo)? Or is it once again about being a man here?

Dinesh, I understand your love for wanting something raw & rugged. You must visit South once and have a go at one of the Single Seater Race Cars they rent out here. Fits your bill completely, besides its only then you will realize what these latest gizmos could do.

Quote:
Dinesh, on our roads what you need is SHEER LUCK not just SKILL. I can show you friends who have been driving for AMG tuning on race tracks in some of the fastest production/race cars in Germany and have ended up like this:

And believe me if it came to skill the driver of the above car is league ahead from most of us.

Quote:
But what if instead of a tree, the car mows down innocent by-standers or hit a two wheeler
In that case what you need is a responsible head over your shoulders. ABS or non-ABS doesn't make a difference if your top floor is EMPTY.

Quote:
I have nothing against "popping balloons " , but " popping balloons " tend to make many ( not all ) drivers drive really recklessly.
Most of the reckless and insane driving I have noticed is in cars which don't have most safety features, have a GC of some millimeters from the ground. How would you justify that? So its not a thumb rule you know.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:36   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Coming back to topic, I would love to have the V6. Chuck the manual transmission in and out goes the auto. It does help to know people who can source & fit these in almost any car in India.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:53   #27
BANNED

How does low GC imply rash driving? Could you elaborate.
Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Most of the reckless and insane driving I have noticed is in cars which don't have most safety features, have a GC of some millimeters from the ground. How would you justify that? So its not a thumb rule you know.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
If you are a mature adult, you would drive safely (not necessarily associated with speed). Majority of the time, accidents are caused by negligence of other drivers on the road and not yourself. These are aids to make you safe despite idiots being given driving licenses (or rather licenses to kill is some cases).
Everybody on the road is an other driver to everybody else.

And whenever an additional driver aid is made available it should be used. If not for your safety but for everybody else's on the road.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 19:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ABS is a braking aid - it ensures you can steer the car (to safety) even when you are braking. Just like power steering facilitates easy operation of the steering, ABS ensures effective braking. It can even reduce the braking distance. Isn't it a good aid to have?
Quote:
please do not "chicken-out" and hide behind "popping balloons" when it comes to put your own life and limb on the line. Be a man and face the consequences of your actions.
Imagine a car waiting at the red-light. A bus rams from behind (something like this: Bus rams vehicles, kills 11-yr-old-Delhi-Cities-The Times of India). The driver has no idea & possibly he can't get out the way in time. An airbag would shield him against the steering/dashboard and save his life. Again isn't it a good aid to have?
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 20:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
How does low GC imply rash driving? Could you elaborate.
Regards.
he was coupling low GC with lack of safety features.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote