Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd July 2007, 10:42   #16
BHPian

7 years back, I wrote this funny one, it seems to make sense to this thread.

Enjoy reading!!

What happens if "Microsoft" produces cars?

Microsoft CAR' 1.00.00 :-
------------------------
1/ While buying the car, you have to select "I Accept" button, only then you will be able to go into the procedures for buying. Otherwise, if you click another option "I Refuse", then you will be rejected.

2/ While during the process of buying, you may have to select one option among:
a) Typical (Car comes with ALL its necessary parts)
b) Custom (User can select the types of parts to be fitted in the car. Here is the WONDER that this car will function properly even if you don't select "ENGINE")

3/ Then, you have to tell your "User Name" & "Company". After this he'll give you a "Product Id" which you have to use for further correspondence (Most of these correspondence will be complaints about the car).

4/ After all the necessary transactions completed, you will be able to drive the car.Click "OK" for the one which tells you "Car has been bought successfully".

5/ While starting the car first time, it will take so much time to start, stating that "car is going to be started for FIRST TIME".

6/ Many shorcuts (for the path thro which you will go) will be created.

7/ Now, your car has been started successfully..you are ready to drive.

8/ While driving, if you apply Break, it will ask "Are you sure to apply Break ?" You have to select either "Ok" or "Cancel". BUT, before you select, the accident which you tried to avoid WILL HAPPEN !

9/ Then it will throw Errors Like "Exceptional Error has been occured in the following Parts of the car" & if you click "Details >>", then it will list all the parts which are damaged (Be aware that this Error will come at anytime, even if your car is at stationary). Click "OK" to close the error alarm.

10/ While turning the car, you have to select one choice among:
a) Left,
b) Right,
c) Up,
d) Down,
e) Straight,
f) Back.
Whatever may be the choice you choose, it will turn "Left" (as it was the
Default option ). This is the Bug in this car. This Bug has been realized by Microsoft only after 1,00,00,000 cars have been sold. So, they are currently in the process of solving this BUG in their next version (Microsoft CAR' 1.00.01).

HOPE IT WILL GET SOLVED!!!!!

11/ Other than this Bug, This car is suitable for users who don't TURN AT ALL!!
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Let people have their windows machines on the desktop... I was still in IT I still wouldn't run any critical application on MS.

The British navy, I read a couple of months back, have contracted with microsft to supply windows for warships. Yes... for crititical systems, I don't recall if that included weapons control. It was going to be W2K (and yes, it was this year only).

It may be good enough for the British Navy, who don't really have to worry about ruling the waves these days, but it is not good enough for me.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:48   #18
BHPian

One thing for sure, you can do an ECU reset in Microsoft car by pressing Accelerator + Brake + Clutch together!

Microsoft is currently working on a virtual sat nav system. You'll follow a virtual 3D car in your front (instead of looking at your tiny sat nav screen). The 3D car can be configurable!

Personally, I'd stay away (if at all possible) from Microsoft designed cars
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

"This program has performed illegal operation and is going to shut down"

Krrrk, Grrrrr...%$##^@!$#&

"For your efforts to take effect, please restrart the system at your own risk"
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Cool

i'd rather buy a car with linux on it - as I can easily get open source code or write a small script and make it faster or change the power band and get more torque or bhp etc.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i'd rather buy a car with linux on it - as I can easily get open source code or write a small script and make it faster or change the power band and get more torque or bhp etc.
To add on, my script will optimize fuel consumption algorithm for better FE !
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
To add on, my script will optimize fuel consumption algorithm for better FE !
Ya the recompiling of the source code will take ages and if by any mistake car shuts down improperly you will get ERROR "SERVICE FAILED TO START" and stuff
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Windows operating system for automobiles? Run, run, run.... I will never touch a car with an unstable operating system sitting on the ECU. Thankfully, I am working on a kernel which is 1000 times more stable than Windowz. May be it is time I start to impress upon people in my company to get into this business.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why does MS wants to develop OS for each & everything running on this world?

If OS in a PC/Mobile/PDA crash, will not atleast harm human lives, but what if ECU in a speeding Car crashes?
MS, please leave this to the experts!

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd July 2007 at 15:58.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:02   #25
BHPian

Cool

not to mention they put an OS in the table Microsoft Surface
not as life threatening as putting one in my car though
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Why does MS wants to develop OS for each & everything running on this world?
World domination.

You thought this was in bad films only? Afraid not.

This is what I find so objectionable: I don't mind people getting hugely rich, although I object to them having done it by selling products which are bad enough that people flock to buy each 'upgrade' (when they should be given away as fixes).

I do mind this obsession with getting their nasty little fingers into everything.
Old 16th July 2007, 13:07   #27
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Windows operating system for automobiles? Run, run, run.... I will never touch a car with an unstable operating system sitting on the ECU. Thankfully, I am working on a kernel which is 1000 times more stable than Windowz. May be it is time I start to impress upon people in my company to get into this business.
@Deepak:
I agree completely.
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 10:49   #28
BHPian

Thumbs up

guys - i just got an article where all the japanese automakers are looking at making an OS for our vehicles some years down Japanese automakers rev up new OS for cars

I guess we could trust em more over Microsoft but MS is gonna have a headstart over the Japanese. Besides the japanese OS is going to actually work on the core vehicular functions vs play music, etc

Cheers,
j
Old 8th August 2007, 11:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
WinCE is pretty stable now.. Only problem I forsee is that pple will be hankering after the latest version/updates like they do with the WM phones.
Well, I second that, I have been using Windows Pocket PC edition from early 2004 and no stability problems, infact its one of the stabler OS released by MS. So lets not beat it for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Zappo.. they do propagate thru air.. via Bluetooth. I frequently get virus files on my phone, from Nokia phones nearby .. But they cant run on my XDA Atom..
You should keep the BT in hidden mode and not to accept all connections automatically, so that only the known devices can communicate with your device.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 14:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish I could find the cartoon...

Guy sitting with his laptop on a flying aircraft looking horrified.

Laptop displays: Bluetooth has found new device, Boeing 747: Configure?