Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2007, 12:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

While you are right Rehaan about the headlight leveller, what Akash said relates to HIDs that have delcately calibrated motors to operate while using the dipper switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm not sure where you got that information from, but from my experience i have only seen it being controlled by vaccum, which in turn moves the entire reflector mounting.

cya
R
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:02   #17
BHPian

Hi, I use the head light leveler as suggested my most in their posts here, its definitely useful both in the city and especially on the highway and when it rains at night.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Hi, I use the head light leveler as suggested my most in their posts here, its definitely useful both in the city and especially on the highway and when it rains at night.
That's good to know that you used it. This thread served a good purpose of actually getting people aware of the feature and subsequently using it.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Even adding the bags for a weekend away is unlikely to change the balance of our car with the usual couple of us in it. So, here, it is a forgotten gadget.

I can imagine, though, that the mainbeam "If it's there I'll use it" crowd would just think that higher-number=better (umm, did I just use the word, think? ) thus making their blinding headlights even worse.

Fog lights are great for pothole or speed hump detection. I often drive down the canal-side road South from Chennai's Lattice Bridge Road, and have found this easier at night with the swift's fog lamps. On such a road it is also good for spotting dogs and children. More useful to me than headlamp adjustment.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

...Actually, doesn't higher number bring the lights down, to compensate for rear loading?

So it seems I should be more careful when I accuse people of not thinking!

(Blush) (Blush)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Think it is a useful feature though personally never felt to adjust it to compensate for the sake of rear loading.I usually tweak it to adjust the illumination on highways depending on the speed which i do.one question regarding fogs-how many of you actually have found it useful?I mean except while driving without HL on a well lit city road or at twilight?
aditya116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 17:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yup, I use it, and it works beautifully...
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 17:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

personally i feel that it is better you have your personal settings according to the loading pattern, than sticking to manufacturers recommendations ('0' for only driver and so on).

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 17:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

even in my opinion head light leveling switch is a waste! I still get dazzled by the high beams on modern cars. Best is to strictly drive in low beam! It is a waste feature costing manufacturers money and so is the consumer
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 22:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
even in my opinion head light leveling switch is a waste! I still get dazzled by the high beams on modern cars. Best is to strictly drive in low beam! It is a waste feature costing manufacturers money and so is the consumer
Vinod! i completely agree with you. its a waste of technology and money
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly the TATA nano does NOT have this so-called Govt Required device.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

When your car is fully loaded and the rear end squats the HL beam moves up.

The purpose of the leveller is to enable the driver adjust the beam back down to the correct angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Vinod! i completely agree with you. its a waste of technology and money
Cars with load levelling rear suspension can get away w/o it. Not sure what the deal is with Nano because even the M800 has it.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th March 2010 at 17:56.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The headlamp level adjuster is part of the package of toys that are mandatory by law to comply with Euro-III/BS-3 regulations. It certainly is useful though, when driving on highways versus city, or in a softly sprung car like my Swift. The Nano wouldn't have it because it is BS-2 compliant. And there is a miniature motor behind the reflector which adjusts the position of the reflector to change the angle of the beam on the Swift.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:54   #29
BHPian

Nice tips on when to use the headlight leveler. Never used it except to see how it works :P Will try it out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
one question regarding fogs-how many of you actually have found it useful?I mean except while driving without HL on a well lit city road or at twilight?
As Thad mentioned, using the fogs are great in helping spot potholes and unmarked speed breakers. I use them always.
neutralgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 00:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm not sure where you got that information from, but from my experience i have only seen it being controlled by vaccum, which in turn moves the entire reflector mounting.

cya
R
Now that this old thread has come to life, let me write my experience too. I recently got both the beams of my Scorpio calibrated after my Rajasthan trip.

There is no vaccum per se and there are motors which operate the reflector mounting. And it has been rightly said that its a very complex calibration (I dare fiddle with it again). It took me 5 days with the electrician to finally get the correct setting (with numerous trips to the nearest dark place for perfect setting) and I had to get both the motors replaced. Further the motors werent available locally so had to source them from Kashmiri Gate.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 19th March 2010 at 00:53.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote