Team-BHP - 40000 kms Optra 1.8 query
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   40000 kms Optra 1.8 query (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/25934-40000-kms-optra-1-8-query.html)

I have a few queries regarding the 5th service.

Oil
Engine Flush
Brake Pads
Other things that will be done at service, decarb, engine remap to latest software, decarb and regular servicing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 488926)
I want to put syntetic oil preferably Mobil 1 Supersync, i would like to know what specification should i put 5W..?

You should be good to go with 5W-50

Quote:

Are oils like Shell, Motul aas good as Mobil1 and where can i find them
Yes Shell and Motul are good too. Choice is yours. Mobil1 is quite easily available as is Shell and Motul. I bought my can from City Motors in Opera house.

Quote:

Engine Flush
Which engine flush should i use?
I used a flush from Valvoline named Pyroil. You can try Abro (tried and tested by many on the forum). Available with City motors.

1)5W50 to be precise.
The store location is clearly given in the synth vs mineral oil thread.
2) Use the OWS engine flush or the ABRO motor flush.
3) Stock GM brake pads are what are best available. Aftermarket pads are usually available for the japs.

Word of caution if you plan on buying brake pads from the open market - be careful. There are a lot of fake brands floating around. A lot of them are refurbished pads as well, where a new layer of material is stuck onto an old backplate. These are unsafe. Buy the brake pads from your dealer itself to be sure. The rest can be picked up outside.

Thanks Rtech, Nitrous & Rtech.

Well i dont want the stock brake pads from outside, i just asked to know whether i can get better brake pads then the Stock ones. There are some brake pads which take time to heat up and once heated up they perform beautifully.

@ MF - I have heard flush which is used for 10mins or so is not as good as 30 mins ones. How much will the flush cost me?

Quote:

Mobil1 is quite easily available as is Shell and Motul
I have heard that Mobil1 costs Rs. 700 per liter, how much does Shell Motul cost, and how many liters should i buy?

Whats the cost of OWS engine flush and OWS fully synthetic oil?

Isint it useless buying better plugs, since i am changing them at service so shouldnot i tell them to put the stock(new) ones itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 489095)
@ MF - I have heard flush which is used for 10mins or so is not as good as 30 mins ones. How much will the flush cost me?

The flush should not cost more than Rs. 150/- to Rs. 300/-. The Pyroil I got is a bottle with 800 ml of flush for Rs. 278/- and I have to use 200 ml per flush (50 ml per liter). Abro is a good brand to try.

Quote:

I have heard that Mobil1 costs Rs. 700 per liter, how much does Shell Motul cost, and how many liters should i buy?
I picked up a can of 4 liters of Mobil 1 for Rs. 2500/- from City motors. Shell in Pune costs around Rs. 2200/- for 4 liters. No idea about Motul. RT has used it so he should be in a better position to comment. For the quantity required in the Optra, check your service manual or your service station. It should be less than 4 liters if I am not mistaken.

Quote:

Isint it useless buying better plugs, since i am changing them at service so shouldnot i tell them to put the stock(new) ones itself.
Yes, go for the stock plugs in your car. No use going for aftermarket ones.

Thanks alot MoralFibre. So i will be going ahead with Mobil1 and Abro. Will check out shell(since i am a ferrari fan :p)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 489451)
Will check out shell(since i am a ferrari fan :p)

Instead look at Motul. See the Synthetic Oil v/s Mineral oil thread. RTech had some nice observations of the product.(on specs and practical usage)

Whats the cost of shell and motul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 488926)
Other things that will be done at service, decarb, engine remap to latest software, decarb and regular servicing.

Engine software upgrade??? do they do that as routine servicing or do you have to ask for it? Sounds interesting, since generally an upgrade is launched if they improve upon something. Does anybody know what it really improves upon?

BUSA - How about posting some pictures of your Optra & Swift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMP (Post 489664)
Engine software upgrade??? do they do that as routine servicing or do you have to ask for it? Sounds interesting, since generally an upgrade is launched if they improve upon something. Does anybody know what it really improves upon?

Well you have to ask for it. The remap was long time coming but i was lazy to go and get it done and my nearest GM dealer is 25kms + one way, so one service = 50kms drive. They have improved upon the maps, specially the 1st gear jerking the 1.8 has.

Quote:

BUSA - How about posting some pictures of your Optra & Swift?
Will do that soon, need to click pics, its raining cats, dogs, mouses, rats in Mumbai and a bit busy too and some suprises coming up for both the cars in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 489836)
Will do that soon, need to click pics, its raining cats, dogs, mouses, rats in Mumbai and a bit busy too and some suprises coming up for both the cars in the near future.

No problem we'll wait for the rain to stop. And anyways regarding the surprises you can take the pics again after the surprises are done & then post them here!

Ya sure Irags will do that soon.

I want to know things like oil filter(purolator is a good brand i have heard), gear fluid, brake fluid, radiator flush, coolant, etc can be bought from outside or is it better to let the GM guys do it, wont it be cheaper outside or is it?

Can i get stock plugs cheaper outside.

And is KnN oil filter good, i heard its not recomended.

Bump any input on this.

Quote:

I want to know things like oil filter(purolator is a good brand i have heard), gear fluid, brake fluid, radiator flush, coolant, etc can be bought from outside or is it better to let the GM guys do it, wont it be cheaper outside or is it?

Can i get stock plugs cheaper outside.

And is KnN oil filter good, i heard its not recomended.