Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 12:47   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Post 40000 kms Optra 1.8 query

I have a few queries regarding the 5th service.

Oil
  • I want to put syntetic oil preferably Mobil 1 Supersync, i would like to know what specification should i put 5W..?
  • Are oils like Shell, Motul aas good as Mobil1 and where can i find them
Engine Flush
  • Which engine flush should i use?
Brake Pads
  • Are better brake pads then stock available in Mumbai, if yes for how much and where?
Other things that will be done at service, decarb, engine remap to latest software, decarb and regular servicing.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 13:09   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I want to put syntetic oil preferably Mobil 1 Supersync, i would like to know what specification should i put 5W..?
You should be good to go with 5W-50

Quote:
Are oils like Shell, Motul aas good as Mobil1 and where can i find them
Yes Shell and Motul are good too. Choice is yours. Mobil1 is quite easily available as is Shell and Motul. I bought my can from City Motors in Opera house.

Quote:
Engine Flush
Which engine flush should i use?
I used a flush from Valvoline named Pyroil. You can try Abro (tried and tested by many on the forum). Available with City motors.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th July 2007 at 13:10.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

1)5W50 to be precise.
The store location is clearly given in the synth vs mineral oil thread.
2) Use the OWS engine flush or the ABRO motor flush.
3) Stock GM brake pads are what are best available. Aftermarket pads are usually available for the japs.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 13:15   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

Word of caution if you plan on buying brake pads from the open market - be careful. There are a lot of fake brands floating around. A lot of them are refurbished pads as well, where a new layer of material is stuck onto an old backplate. These are unsafe. Buy the brake pads from your dealer itself to be sure. The rest can be picked up outside.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 14:32   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Thanks Rtech, Nitrous & Rtech.

Well i dont want the stock brake pads from outside, i just asked to know whether i can get better brake pads then the Stock ones. There are some brake pads which take time to heat up and once heated up they perform beautifully.

@ MF - I have heard flush which is used for 10mins or so is not as good as 30 mins ones. How much will the flush cost me?

Quote:
Mobil1 is quite easily available as is Shell and Motul
I have heard that Mobil1 costs Rs. 700 per liter, how much does Shell Motul cost, and how many liters should i buy?

Whats the cost of OWS engine flush and OWS fully synthetic oil?

Isint it useless buying better plugs, since i am changing them at service so shouldnot i tell them to put the stock(new) ones itself.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 15:52   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
@ MF - I have heard flush which is used for 10mins or so is not as good as 30 mins ones. How much will the flush cost me?
The flush should not cost more than Rs. 150/- to Rs. 300/-. The Pyroil I got is a bottle with 800 ml of flush for Rs. 278/- and I have to use 200 ml per flush (50 ml per liter). Abro is a good brand to try.

Quote:
I have heard that Mobil1 costs Rs. 700 per liter, how much does Shell Motul cost, and how many liters should i buy?
I picked up a can of 4 liters of Mobil 1 for Rs. 2500/- from City motors. Shell in Pune costs around Rs. 2200/- for 4 liters. No idea about Motul. RT has used it so he should be in a better position to comment. For the quantity required in the Optra, check your service manual or your service station. It should be less than 4 liters if I am not mistaken.

Quote:
Isint it useless buying better plugs, since i am changing them at service so shouldnot i tell them to put the stock(new) ones itself.
Yes, go for the stock plugs in your car. No use going for aftermarket ones.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 18:31   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Thanks alot MoralFibre. So i will be going ahead with Mobil1 and Abro. Will check out shell(since i am a ferrari fan )
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 19:21   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Will check out shell(since i am a ferrari fan )
Instead look at Motul. See the Synthetic Oil v/s Mineral oil thread. RTech had some nice observations of the product.(on specs and practical usage)
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 21:37   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Whats the cost of shell and motul.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 22:11   #10
IMP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 117
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Other things that will be done at service, decarb, engine remap to latest software, decarb and regular servicing.
Engine software upgrade??? do they do that as routine servicing or do you have to ask for it? Sounds interesting, since generally an upgrade is launched if they improve upon something. Does anybody know what it really improves upon?
IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:09   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

BUSA - How about posting some pictures of your Optra & Swift?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:13   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
Engine software upgrade??? do they do that as routine servicing or do you have to ask for it? Sounds interesting, since generally an upgrade is launched if they improve upon something. Does anybody know what it really improves upon?
Well you have to ask for it. The remap was long time coming but i was lazy to go and get it done and my nearest GM dealer is 25kms + one way, so one service = 50kms drive. They have improved upon the maps, specially the 1st gear jerking the 1.8 has.

Quote:
BUSA - How about posting some pictures of your Optra & Swift?
Will do that soon, need to click pics, its raining cats, dogs, mouses, rats in Mumbai and a bit busy too and some suprises coming up for both the cars in the near future.

Last edited by BUSA : 5th July 2007 at 01:15.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:33   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Will do that soon, need to click pics, its raining cats, dogs, mouses, rats in Mumbai and a bit busy too and some suprises coming up for both the cars in the near future.
No problem we'll wait for the rain to stop. And anyways regarding the surprises you can take the pics again after the surprises are done & then post them here!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:55   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Ya sure Irags will do that soon.

I want to know things like oil filter(purolator is a good brand i have heard), gear fluid, brake fluid, radiator flush, coolant, etc can be bought from outside or is it better to let the GM guys do it, wont it be cheaper outside or is it?

Can i get stock plugs cheaper outside.

And is KnN oil filter good, i heard its not recomended.

Last edited by BUSA : 5th July 2007 at 02:13.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 12:14   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Bump any input on this.

Quote:
I want to know things like oil filter(purolator is a good brand i have heard), gear fluid, brake fluid, radiator flush, coolant, etc can be bought from outside or is it better to let the GM guys do it, wont it be cheaper outside or is it?

Can i get stock plugs cheaper outside.

And is KnN oil filter good, i heard its not recomended.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40000 km = 80000 km. 2007 Verna CRDi. Got cheated, Now sold. sarthakgupta Long-Term Ownership Reviews 39 5th November 2014 17:21
My Red Pimento - Maruti Swift Vdi Euro IV review - 40000 Kms update ontheroad Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 9th June 2013 20:01
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30) ph03n!x Long-Term Ownership Reviews 598 6th November 2012 00:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks