Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 02:41   #91
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 349
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

I really feel you should have gone with the racecat. Removing the cat causes way higher emissions and it is extremely damaging to the environment. We as educated and responsible people should not endorse these mods.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 03:13   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I really feel you should have gone with the racecat.
There is no bolt on race cat available for 1.6 S cross. Narry would have built me a race cat provided I send my stock cat to his place in China.

Quote:
Removing the cat causes way higher emissions and it is extremely damaging to the environment.
Yes it might lead to little more emissions, no denying the fact. Also this is a common mod done all round the globe. Also you can find many more examples right here on this forum where people have done exhaust mods like FFE, downpipe etc.

OT : I am into farming as well and we plant more trees than most of the guys do here so please excuse me for the decat.
Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 06:57   #93
BHPian
 
Cool_leo_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 40
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes it might lead to little more emissions, no denying the fact. Also this is a common mod done all round the globe. Also you can find many more examples right here on this forum where people have done exhaust mods like FFE, downpipe etc.

OT : I am into farming as well and we plant more trees than most of the guys do here so please excuse me for the decat.
Dear Dr Saheb,
We at the team pride ourselves in being responsible motorheads. Such blatant disregard for environment from responsible citizens like us does not bode well for our precious mother nature.
Just because someone produces more children does not give him the right to commit murder.
Just my 2 cents.
Have a good day
Cheers
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 11:04   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I really feel you should have gone with the racecat. Removing the cat causes way higher emissions and it is extremely damaging to the environment. We as educated and responsible people should not endorse these mods.


Irony just jumped off a bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
That's a neat job done by blackworks. You can expect a healthy increase in power now that the cat is deleted, in some cases even up to 10%. I would suggest you get a map updated by TOT to take advantage of the cat delete. Also I'm guessing there would be a bit more black smoke now.
Seconded this. You should revisit the map to take advantage of the increased exhaust flow.
ImmortalZ is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 16:59   #95
BHPian
 
paras211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 609
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

This is a car forum. Cars pollute. Unless you walk everywhere , you pollute. It was an informed decision by the OP. Stop pissing on other peoples happiness.
Next someone is gonna tell me don't eat choley .
paras211 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 17:02   #96
BHPian
 
Cool_leo_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 40
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The difference in emissions with the cat removed is not much and will still pass the emission tests easily. I am not sure if you have checked the difference. I have and it is near negligible thanks to the efficient modern engines.
Thanks for the information, Mate.
IMHO negligible difference if ignored a lot becomes significant.
I don't know for Apna bharat mahan but in US and Europe, whose emission norms we emulate, removal of a catalytic converter is illegal and is a punishable offence. Are we promoting illegal practices here.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
There are numerous cars with FFE featured here which not only 'increase emission' but also 'sound'.
Now we are going off tangent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
That way super cars should be banned for sound pollution,
Supercars are also certified for pollution like every other car to make them street legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
all drag races and supervised events should be banned,
I don't think the good doctor is going to use the car in a drag race in a controlled environment. It is his daily ride I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
and the 'Modifying your car' thread should be deleted.
Modifying can be done to change the look and performance. Again I don't know for sure in "apna desh", but elsewhere(US , EU, Australia etc) there is a limit to the performance related mods beyond which it again crosses into illegal territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Also people should scrap their pre BS, BSI, BSII, BSIII cars because they pollute more than the BSIV ones. Would any of us do that?
We have NGT and supreme court to do that for us
Cool_leo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 17:21   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
Are we promoting illegal practices here.?
Talk about the law, any car mod is not legal

"Modifications & Accessories " section shouldn't have existed then. I am not advocating people to do illegal mods and damage the environment. Any reader could take an informed decision.

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 19:05   #98
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 349
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
..

Irony just jumped off a bridge.
...
Tell me what's ironical in this. My car still has the stock cat-con. My mods have been to the brakes, proper gti lights (not hid in reflector) and a cat-back exhaust which does not mess with the emissions control of the engine. And fyi it's a petrol.
I see such a big fuss created on this forum when someone mentions high speeds, with people having their posts deleted, or even banned. But here we are applauding a mod that is not only illegal, but severely damaging to the environment.
Regarding the PUC, my bud got a decat, failed the PUC, got a racecat, passed the PUC, and when the car was dynoed at ks Motorsports Mumbai, it produced more torque with the race cat, than without the cat altogether. (Polo TSI)
Having a de cat is just a cheap way to get performance out whilst not giving two hoots to the environment.
As per the current norms, the cat con is the majority emission cleaner in diesel cars, since we don't have a DPF mandated. So anyone saying that it won't cause too much more pollution needs to read up on how exhaust systems work.
Go ahead enjoy the black smoke, it's just like being no different than the taxi Wallas and truck Wallas who are cancer, and in a case I read on this very forum, accident causers.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2017 at 17:46. Reason: Removed image from quoted post
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 19:33   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Tell me what's ironical in this..
Thanks for sharing the brief details about your "legal and environmental friendly mods". As per the law, any car mod is illegal, even putting a different mud flap

Ironical indeed!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 20:35   #100
Sip
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: HR 06
Posts: 162
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Go ahead enjoy the black smoke, it's just like being no different than the taxi Wallas and truck Wallas who are cancer, and in a case I read on this very forum, accident causers.
Hey buddy its not fair to locate entire worlds evil in this mod. There are much bigger issues waiting for you in case you are really concerned with environment.

Kindly get us the figure of accurate and precise increase in pollution figures as result of this mod.

Its also unfair to call this mod a cheap! Remember he has remapped his new 15 lac car earlier and more mods are being contemplated. He is true auto enthusiast.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 22:42   #101
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 349
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Hey buddy its not fair to locate entire worlds evil in this mod. There are much bigger issues waiting for you in case you are really concerned with environment.

Kindly get us the figure of accurate and precise increase in pollution figures as result of this mod.

Its also unfair to call this mod a cheap! Remember he has remapped his new 15 lac car earlier and more mods are being contemplated. He is true auto enthusiast.
Reduces emissions by 90℅, you can read up on research articles stating the same on Google scholar.
A racecat will give you same or more gains without polluting the environment, but it is expensive. A decat is a cheap solution.

Suuuuuure.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 00:24   #102
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Tell me what's ironical in this.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Regarding the PUC, my bud got a decat, failed the PUC, got a racecat, passed the PUC
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Reduces emissions by 90℅, you can read up on research articles stating the same on Google scholar.
If you have hard results of these so called pollution tests, why not share them instead of pointing to vague internet searches?


Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
A racecat will give you same or more gains without polluting the environment
For real? Without polluting the environment at all?

What is your take on all the two wheelers plying our roads? Should they all be collectively scrapped for not running regular or race cats? Speaking of which, if I add a race cat to my bike, will it run faster?
yzfrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 22:06   #103
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 580
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
Now we are going off tangent here.
What is off tangent here ? FFE's don't have cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post

Supercars are also certified for pollution like every other car to make them street legal.
Air pollution yes, but for sound pollution it definitely crosses 65dB am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
I don't think the good doctor is going to use the car in a drag race in a controlled environment. It is his daily ride I think.
How does that matter ? It is under the sky, and am sure these cars are not taken out/started once a year only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
We have NGT and supreme court to do that for us
NGT slaps a INR 100 per year as Green Tax and all the pollution doesn't exist. What a solution

And if one is so concerned about the environment why does he need to wait for NGT or Supreme Court. We should then scrap, not sell, our old cars as soon as it is max 2 emission controls behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
My mods have been to the brakes, proper gti lights (not hid in reflector) and a cat-back exhaust which does not mess with the emissions control of the engine. And fyi it's a petrol.

Regarding the PUC, my bud got a decat, failed the PUC, got a racecat, passed the PUC, and when the car was dynoed at ks Motorsports Mumbai, it produced more torque with the race cat, than without the cat altogether. (Polo TSI)
Your cat back and GTI lights are also illegal mods because you made changes to the stock set up. Your cat back causes sound pollution and spoils the environment. Lights need to be endorsed with the RTO.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 05:15   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 447
Thanked: 1,080 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Friends, can we please move on. Many of us have questioned the legality and nature friendliness of this mod. The OP has answered them to the best of his beliefs. The matter should have ended there.

However, we are allowing a lot of vitriol to flow, arguing for and against this mod; at times turning this thread into an arena of shadow boxing .

@Dr.Naren, You are a young man with some beautiful cars. You have the passion, patience, time and money to extract more out of them and most importantly to share the experiences (good and bad) on the forum. Please keep doing that. And, to put to rest the debate on harming/not harming the nature, please plant two saplings in memory of this mod, park your S-Cross in front of them, take a photo and post it here.

Cheers!
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 10:29   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Custom Decat SS Downpipe On 1.6 S-Cross by Blackworks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Friends, can we please move on. Many of us have questioned the legality and nature friendliness of this mod. The OP has answered them to the best of his beliefs. The matter should have ended there.
Legally, all mods are illegal. People who are saying that I am advocating illegal mods have themselves did a lot of illegal mods. Its like you can't throw stones when you are sitting inside a glass house

Quote:
However, we are allowing a lot of vitriol to flow, arguing for and against this mod; at times turning this thread into an arena of shadow boxing .
Yes, this is sad. I have nothing more to comment about this.

Quote:
@Dr.Naren, You are a young man with some beautiful cars. You have the passion, patience, time and money to extract more out of them and most importantly to share the experiences (good and bad) on the forum. Please keep doing that. And, to put to rest the debate on harming/not harming the nature, please plant two saplings in memory of this mod, park your S-Cross in front of them, take a photo and post it here.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot buddy. I love to try different mods and honestly write about them on this forum. Will keep doing that

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Wagon R: Noise from Catalytic converter? EDIT: Cat Con is GUILTY. bblost Technical Stuff 26 12th July 2012 15:08
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45
Settings gone after removing HU and removing key achopraa In-Car Entertainment 14 15th December 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks