Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th February 2017, 18:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) - Do you guys think its worth it?

One thing that springs to mind is that while one can remove the Cat-Con from a lovely car such as an S Cross, the fact is that whenever and if ever one goes for the PUC, one is likely to fail. Especially in that Diesel 1.6.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 18:29   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) - Do you guys think its worth it?

It will not fail our PUC checks as long as the testing centres and their equipment are not updated to Euro standards.

Tested and passed the PUC check in my Swift Diesel, Polo 1.5 Diesel and Vento 1.6 Diesel; all with decat pipes. SCross 1.6 Diesel will also pass the test with decat pipe.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 19:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It will not fail our PUC checks as long as the testing centres and their equipment are not updated to Euro standards.
Many cars in Europe have also passed emission tests with decat downpipe. This is the reason, they have started checking for the stock cat

Quote:
Tested and passed the PUC check in my Swift Diesel, Polo 1.5 Diesel and Vento 1.6 Diesel; all with decat pipes. SCross 1.6 Diesel will also pass the test with decat pipe.
Yes, I am sure it would pass. Anyways I have to get it done in couple of weeks
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 00:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the fact is that whenever and if ever one goes for the PUC, one is likely to fail. Especially in that Diesel 1.6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, I am sure it would pass. Anyways I have to get it done in couple of weeks
The car has passed emission tests as expected. Please have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4215329 (S-Cross 1.6L: Custom Decat SS Downpipe by Blackworks)

I have driven more than 5000 KM post decat downpipe and very happy with the performance. Wolf Moto has tailored a good map to compliment the decat mod.

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:38   #110
BHPian

There is this PUC center I know of which doesnt even insert the nozzle into the exhaust. He just notes down the vehicle no and puts in numbers for the emissions which is within the limits. This has happened not once, but twice with me at the same place. Most others, at least for the sake of showing do insert the PUC nozzle into the exhaust. So if you find such a center, even with a removed cat con, your vehicle will pass the PUC with flying colours
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:43   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I will not remove the cat-con for two reasons. Bad for the environment, and very likely the 'back pressure' will change, so the engine may not like that either. I must say I did remove the CatCon from my Carb Zen once. Had to do it since at that time unleaded was not available in Manipal. As it turned out Mangalore refinery had been provided unleaded to Manipal for ages.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
There is this PUC center I know of which doesnt even insert the nozzle into the exhaust. He just notes down the vehicle no and puts in numbers for the emissions which is within the limits. This has happened not once, but twice with me at the same place. Most others, at least for the sake of showing do insert the PUC nozzle into the exhaust. So if you find such a center, even with a removed cat con, your vehicle will pass the PUC with flying colours
I laughed so loud after reading this. Really humorous centaur.

In fact the road side PUC vans that we guys go to in Hyderabad have the nozzle already clogged up with so much dust and carbon from earlier checks that it is only a miracle if my vehicle's exhaust gas reaches the Gas Analyzer's chamber.

And the values are so random. I checked the readings on the screen, irrespective of how old your car is the values falls in same range. I asked that guy if at all he ever cleans or services the equipment, he mumbled that it was not needed.

Then I knew, I was not paying to check if I am polluting the environment but for name sake. Not sure where all the collected money goes.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote