Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th August 2006, 22:19   #46
BHPian

Today's update:
(Please forgive any speeling errors and seeming idiocy - am still at the office and extremely tired).

The car has still not been picked up for service, and I am forced to use it for emergencies. This is not the fault of Indus's service advisor, as he called me both Friday and Saturday (and sounded like he had got special permission to leave the grave to do so - he was really really sick), and I do not trust anyone else at the agency (frankly do not know anyone else well enough to leave the baby in their hands) and I am willing to wait till he gets better.

As of today (and yesterday), I cannot drive below 50 in 4th, and 5th below 60 is out of the question.

I am forced to drive without the AC (and die of the heat), because the car becomes simply undrivable. 4th is a real stretch and 5th a distant dream , something I remember hearing about, but do not remember where, like a fable.

Anyway, since tomorrow is Independence Day ( and a the best of wishes to you all on the happy ocassion), the car will remain firmly stabled, and I will use the Pulsar or the Santro (Oh, my aching legs), and the Swift will be packed off to the service centre for repairs come 16th.

Here's hoping I can get it all done under warranty.

Will update as it goes along.

NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 14th August 2006 at 22:21.
pillainp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 23:03   #47
Team-BHP Support

The response characteristics of a Swift can be best described as a rubber-band. The more you pull the linear it becomes. Till 2000 rpm, its quite stately. 2000 rpm onwards, third gear and above, it pulls constantly and reassuringly till you find out you've actually run out of road.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 01:52   #48
BHPian

After 2 months with the Swift (its done 15k in the last year) I've realized that sometimes the Swift disappoints you in the acceleration department. When this happens, all you have to do is downshift (and use some gas).

Taking the car from around 50kph to 90+kph in 2nd is where the car really shines. 2nd is useless below 25, which is why you need to downshift to 1st very often in city traffic. I know some people who say you should never shift down to 1st unless you come to a halt, but its necessary.

Interestingly this car is the complete opposite of my last car (Ikon 1.6), which was awesome from 1000 to 4000 rpm (and thus a great city car) and then just ran out of steam.

Last edited by theEnd : 15th August 2006 at 01:59.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 11:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am still getting the burning smell on high revving of engine, even after 6k km. It is an odd smell, does not feel like clutch burning smell, but then maybe they used different materials for clutch nowadays? I have no problems of pickup or FE. I will call dealer and complain and see what he has to say.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 19:12   #50
BHPian

Well, car has been taken for service, and I am told that there is a problem with the DDLI??? coil, and it will be replaced under warranty.

So it was not the clutch after all.

I have also noticed that this was an intermittent problem (which would not be the case if the clutch were dead), and was beginning to suspect that there was another reason.

Can someone tell me what the DDLI coil is. All I know is that it is somehow concerned with the ignition system, and that it is manufactured by Lucas TVS.

NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 16th August 2006 at 19:13.
Old 16th August 2006, 19:41   #51
BHPian

I am still wondering, how can the engine rpm be different than its usual value, for a given gear and road speed combination? No ignition or fuel system failures can cause this. I doubt it would be possible without clutch slippage (unless of course the rpm meter itself has gone for a toss!), because all other links from the crank shaft to tyres are solid after all- mostly gear teeth. Another one is differential... can it slip too, like clutch?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 21:47   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp

Can someone tell me what the DDLI coil is
DDLI (Dry coil Double distributor-Less Ignition) is a modern ignition that does not have any distributors. Instead it has a Cam sensor to provide input signal directly to the ECU. The coils mounted on the plug-top provide the high voltage to the spark plugs directly.

The advantage of a DDLI over an older distribuor-ignition is better ignition and starting due to the better output available at the spark plug.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 20:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
DDLI (Dry coil Double distributor-Less Ignition) is a modern ignition.....
Thanks for the explanation. I've been wondering what it was, especially since I was told it cost around 16K to replace.

The DDLI has been replaced, under warranty, as promised, and the car returened this evening. I was not able to take a long enough drive to see if the problem has been solved, but I may take it to Parassala (about 50 km) tomorrow to check it out.

Will let you know how it goes.

By the way, Indus tell me this is the first time this has happened to a Swift in their knowledge.

NPP
Old 17th August 2006, 23:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get that sound all the time, what with all the friendly people, autorickshaws and bicyclists, all of whom apparently want to occupy the same point in space that I am currnetly occupying.
The number of jumpers and jaywalkers here, I'm surprised my hair isn't all white yet.

That scraping sound is probably the ABS kicking in under emergency braking. It should be far too soon for your brake pads to wear out on you.
Are you getting a sound which sounds like someone is hitting a nail into your drum?
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 10:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

DDLI should not really cause burning type smell. But I know it is not clutch, brake or oil, so...?
Old 18th August 2006, 19:38   #56
BHPian

Well, took her out for a long(ish) drive, all the way to my hospital at Parassala, which is approx. 45 KM from the old homestead.

Am pleased to report that the problem seems to have disappeared. If anything, the car seems a little more willing to pull than before, which leads me to believe that the DDLI thing may have been a birth defect.

There is also a mild smell of paper burning, which increases the harder you drive the car. I am told that a number of other Maruti vehicles suffer from this problem, which could possibly be due to a weaker clutch than needed (to promote fuel efficiency by discouraging hard revving???).

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
Are you getting a sound which sounds like someone is hitting a nail into your drum?
???

What I hear under sharp braking is more a heavy rubbing sound.

BTW, I have gotten the much vaunted ABS to fail (meaning the tyres actually skid). Try taking a lock turn at moderate to high speeds and kicking in the brakes sharply.
Old 18th August 2006, 23:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
There is also a mild smell of paper burning, which increases the harder you drive the car. I am told that a number of other Maruti vehicles suffer from this problem, which could possibly be due to a weaker clutch than needed (to promote fuel efficiency by discouraging hard revving???).
Have noticed the same on my one year old ZXi. Take it beyond 4k rpm and you get the paper burning smell. How dare they try to discourage hard revving in a car that only performs when you take it to the top end. If I've got gas money I wanna spend it!

Quote:
BTW, I have gotten the much vaunted ABS to fail (meaning the tyres actually skid). Try taking a lock turn at moderate to high speeds and kicking in the brakes sharply.
I'll take your word on that. No high speed sudden braking manouvers for me (unless I find an empty airport runway).

I always wondered, if you took a turn too fast in the Swift would it slide or roll over?
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 00:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
I always wondered, if you took a turn too fast in the Swift would it slide or roll over?
I have done a 90 Deg turn at 100+kmph, no probs at all, the car was stuck like glue didnt even screech . I have done changing lanes on a steep curve at 120 kmph was a breeze.

Ofcourse my Swift runs on 205 R15 GoodYear eagle F1's
Be careful while you are trying out these stunts though.....

Last edited by anarchist : 19th August 2006 at 00:22.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 00:22   #59
BHPian

Well I've been religiously sniffing quite a few Swifts off late. (I guess my nostrils need some coffee beans now).After a lot of sniffing,I realised that most Swifts are suffering from that "Stink".And its the same kinda smell with most Swifts.
The surprising part is that I recognise that smell.My brand new Palio 1.2 had that same smell once the car came to a standstill,mostly after a long drive.Mysteriously,the smell started getting lesser as the car got a little older and then vanished.Its the exact same smell we are talking about over here.
GUys,so I've unravelled one part of the mystery.Somebody get to the end of this.What is this smell????
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 11:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

I yet have to find time to take it to the dealer to check out the smell. Possibilites only seem to be either handbrake or clutch, since the smell is very strong inside the car as well. Swifts do seem to tend to need 4k+ km, before everything becomes nice and smooth.