Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th July 2007, 23:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he would be able to cross 140 in the 4th gear but isn't the rev limit in 5th gear of 3500rpm to low for the swifts engine
Well, you could call it an aerodynamic revv limit. Since the gearing is so tall, the engine isn't producing enuf torque/power (at 3500 rpm) required to over come the resistance the car faces at 140kmph.

For a 1.3 ltr engine producing 87 bhp, the 5th gear ratio is way too tall. They prob did this to improve fuel economy.

An OHC Vtec with it's 106bhp 1.5 ltr engine is geared to do just 123kmph at 3500 in 5th (and i thought that was tall).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 9th July 2007 at 23:20.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 10:06   #77
BHPian

How to get the max speed out of a Swift?
1st Gear - pull till the rev limiter cuts in that should take you to a 50 to 60 kmph
2nd gear - again till the rev limiter cuts in this should take you to somewhere between 90 - 105 kmph
3rd gear - you can step on it till it takes you to 130-140+ and then shift to 4th which should take you upwards of 160. Search the forum there are snaps of the swift speedo doing 170-180+, ofcourse this is going to take one a long long time hahaha and lots of open n free road (barricaded expressway perhaps)

TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK with seat belts ON and drive safe
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 13:21   #78
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I belong to Chennai and recently, I took my Swift Petrol at about 155-160 km/hr for a few seconds (In Thindivanam - Chennai NH). The car was loaded fully(with 5 adults and luggage). The car ran out of steam after 160 Km/hr. The mileage I got was around 13km/l. All through the way I was maintaining 120 - 130 km/hr. The car has run about 5000km.

I used to get the burning smell initially (<1500km), but now even if I press the pedal ruthlessly, I dont get that smell.

But I was not able to go any further beyond 160 km/hr.. Is that what we can expect with full load on the car.. is the mileage ok for that speeds.. generally in a highway I get somewhere around 15 km/lt..... the tyres are very puny to handle those speeds... i have to quickly upsize...

Regards,
Sathya
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 16:46   #79
BHPian

160 is the top speed what MUL claims for Swift. After changing the stock tyres you can try to break the 160 barrier.
bill1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 09:17   #80

Default Swift petrol vs Diesel

Can anyone compare the performance of Swift diesel vs Swift petrol?

Swift Petrol is sluggish below 2000 rpm. Same is the case with diesel.
So which is more fun to drive and how do they perform after 2000 rpm.
kaputabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 11:02   #81
BHPian

Question Erratic behavior of swift..

Hi all. My Swift is 37k kms old. I have noticed three issues regarding its performance for which i wanted information since long..
  1. When I am acclerating quickly through the gears, the pickup is normal. But if i keep accelerating, there is a sudden surge of power, though temprary and the pickup almost becomes 1.5 times. As if you had tweaked the tiger's tail. But after 4-5 seconds, the tiger becomes sheep again. Through my knowledge, i guessed it is the ECU doing its job which gives power on demand after understanding the curves. But if it is so, why dosnt this happen in my Alto and Cielo which are both ECU driven..?
  2. Also, there's a certain harshness in the engine followed by a dead feeling between 2500-3000 rpm range. Its disgusting because it is the most sought after RPM range at common driving speeds on highways.
  3. Though mentioned in diffrent threads over here, I too get a paper burning smell in my Swift at speeds over 100kmph.
Are the above above issues inter-related in some way? Pl enlighten..

Mod's Note: Please search and use an existing thread on the subject rather than opening new ones everytime. Threads merged.
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 18:37   #82
Team-BHP Support

Akash_m,

Assuming your's is a petrol Swift:

1. Are you sure you're not hitting the rev limiter during sustained acceleration? FYI the peak torque and power are at 4500 rpm and 6000 rpm respectively and any further acceleration beyond these limits will be negligible

2. Now that is surprising considering that the Swift's powerband kicks from from 2500-3000 rpm. And there isnt any added harshness at this range. The Swift's Achilees Heel is at lower rpms below 2000 rpm. Pl get your car checked

3. No paper burning smell here. Do you have ABS? I have smelt a faint odor on a friend's ABS shod Swift at high speeds. But that was unique to his car amongst many other ABS Swifts I've experienced.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 22:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Even i agree.

My swift has done 1600 Km,and i too feel that the at lower rpm it is very sluggish,Infact after you cross 3000 RPM u suddenly feel,the car moving faster,

About the burning smell,i have not noticed...I will check out tomorrow to see....i have a Vxi but without ABS...

And about crossing 140,guys do it in 4th gear only,the car simply does not accelerate in 5th gear.I have touched 155,and for you people it should be higher because my car is running on 215/40 R17 tyres!!!
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 22:28   #84
BHPian

Yes the swift does get a burning smell when driven hard.I have personally noticed this when I was the ripping the car for testing its 0-100 timings and have also noticed this in lbm's swift.

Last edited by revvedup : 5th September 2007 at 22:29.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 16:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

[quote=pillainp;271887]Well, took it out to test this morning. Went to Indus to show it to them, and no problems at all, car was behaving absolutely normally. Dropped off the Indus guy, and what do you know, I am in trouble 15 minutes later .

So I went for a longish drive (beach and back, about 20 KM), and the car is snatching (jerking) at all speeds, in all gears.

The jerking is pretty severe, and shakes the whole car. This happens both just after shifting up, and when accelerating in gear.

Also the car accelerates very slowly and the rpm is higher than it would normally be (eg. should be just above 2K at 80 in 5th, but is now around 2.5K).

IMO get your workshop to check your ignition coil / distributor / plug wires. I have a feeling this jerking after gear shifts may be due to loose electrical connections..just my thoughts..no harm having it checked

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 17:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Yes the swift does get a burning smell when driven hard.I have personally noticed this when I was the ripping the car for testing its 0-100 timings and have also noticed this in lbm's swift.
Could it be some paint/coating getting baked/cooked? (Most people say it disappears after a few thousand kms). After it is properly 'cooked' the smell stops coming.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 17:18   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Also the car accelerates very slowly and the rpm is higher than it would normally be (eg. should be just above 2K at 80 in 5th, but is now around 2.5K).
That seems to be a slipping clutch.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 15:35   #88
BHPian

Question Swift loosing steam during long trips

A friend of mine owns a 07, Swift Vxi, it has run about 17,500kms. He usually takes his car to his native, Bangalore to Kerala, at trip of 400 odd kms, one way. He uses premium petrol, usually Speed.

His complain is that after he drives for about 200 kms, his car looses all its steam, all its peppiness. Its slugs to even cross 90kmph. He would have to downshift once too often to keep up the speed.

Any specific reason for this?
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 07:40   #89
BHPian

My Swift Zxi is about 10 months old and has run about 3800Kms, due for its 3rd service in about a month has a similar problem. RPM doesnt seem to climb more than 2000, i really wonder why. I dont take her out except on a few occasions. I have also driven her on highways twice already. I did a run in for about 2500KMS going no more than 60kmph speed. It feels very sluggish when i try to speed up and i always have to downshift.

I dont know if its my driving and if its putting a lot of stress on the engine. I tend to use the clutch a lot (i suppose you call it clutch drive). I am not sure if there's something wrong with me or the car.

Also do they set the RPM limit while servicing the vehicle so that we dont speed much during the initial phase?.
Swiftron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 16:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

Digging an old thread. But the problem is the same.

I have a 8 month old Swift, which has just clocked 10k kms. After the 3rd service, I duly went to Blore and got the FFE from Raj. The basic 4X2X1 street spec headers for low-mid range.

But still I am not happy. Okay I am not really expecting the car to turn into a pocket rocket, but somehow the FFE thing hasn't improved things. Shabeer had told me that the no. of gear changes will drastically reducde. So I was under the impression that with the FFE, the car might start pulling from say 1500 rpm in the 3rd gear itself. But alas that isn't happening.

Though I have real thick rubber (205/55/R15 PP2s) which might be the culprit, but I am really in love with those tyres for the grip and confidence that they provide, which the 195/60 A-Drives never did.

Is there any workaround ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote