Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th March 2008, 08:36   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dadu : Also the current diesel supplied can have 5% ethanol mix which will goto 10% in 2010.
@dadu, while you are correct about the standards, cities & time-lines, the ethanol part may be applicable only to Petrol, and not diesel.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 08:57   #32
BHPian

Condor, you are right - Ethanol for Petrol and Biodiesel for Diesel.

Dadu, your thread has been of great help. I am expecting the delivery of my Pearl white Ex 4 x 2 tomorrow. The guys at the TASS were clueless on the damper pulley replacement required in some of our Bhpians vehicles. The information provided by you on optimum grade of engine oils and fuel to be used is really commendable.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 11:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ignazio and Condor for pointing out, its Ethanol for petrol and Biodiesel for Diesel, my typo.

Current Biodiesel Specification is IS 15607: 2005. It is a fatty acid alkyl (methyl or ethyl) ester for use as a blending component.

Thanks Dhruv, glad it was informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Condor, you are right - Ethanol for Petrol and Biodiesel for Diesel.

Dadu, your thread has been of great help. I am expecting the delivery of my Pearl white Ex 4 x 2 tomorrow. The guys at the TASS were clueless on the damper pulley replacement required in some of our Bhpians vehicles. The information provided by you on optimum grade of engine oils and fuel to be used is really commendable.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stick to IOC regular diesel from reputed pumps. Works well in almost all diesel engines.
That is the solution - I was at RF Motors yesterday to check my truck as it was smoking away to glory. The service manager who is a friend showed me a recent (2 weeks back) notice too all service centres from Tata Motors, asking them to insist that customers use ONLY REGULAR DIESEL and NOT to use Premium Diesel, especially for Dicor engined cars. It seems that the detergents and additives may do some cleaning upstream but result in increased particulate matter in the exhaust, spoiling the Cat Con.

In my case he said you've been able to run so far because its the 3.0, but 2.2s will start having smoke issues from 5,000 kms onwards if they regularly use the "Premium Diesel" sold here.

My troubles were sorted out for mere Rs.140 (Thats about Euro 2 for the Italians here) - they removed the Cat Con and cleaned it. The service manager also said it is due for replacement at around 50k, but after they cleaned it they found its still in pretty good condition (I wonder how they check the condition of the Catalyst by looking at it ) so I can continue for some more time.

Personally I wanted to have the cat con removed, but the chap said the EGR settings are for catcon-on pressure etc therefore removing the catcon may cause other unknown issues even though it might improve engine response. I dont know how true this is, but I'm game to drill a hole right thru that catcon.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th March 2008 at 12:02.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:21   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That is the solution - I was at RF Motors yesterday to check my truck as it was smoking away to glory. The service manager who is a friend showed me a recent (2 weeks back) notice too all service centres from Tata Motors, asking them to insist that customers use ONLY REGULAR DIESEL and NOT to use Premium Diesel, especially for Dicor engined cars. It seems that the detergents and additives may do some cleaning upstream but result in increased particulate matter in the exhaust, spoiling the Cat Con.

In my case he said you've been able to run so far because its the 3.0, but 2.2s will start having smoke issues from 5,000 kms onwards if they regularly use the "Premium Diesel" sold here.

My troubles were sorted out for mere Rs.140 (Thats about Euro 2 for the Italians here) - they removed the Cat Con and cleaned it. The service manager also said it is due for replacement at around 50k, but after they cleaned it they found its still in pretty good condition (I wonder how they check the condition of the Catalyst by looking at it ) so I can continue for some more time.

Personally I wanted to have the cat con removed, but the chap said the EGR settings are for catcon-on pressure etc therefore removing the catcon may cause other unknown issues even though it might improve engine response. I dont know how true this is, but I'm game to drill a hole right thru that catcon.
Interesting. I was asked not to use premium fuels too.

Steer, the Safari's Catcon looks same as of the petrol one ? ie, it has beads or so inside it?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Very true Steeroid, the regular diesel sold in the 11 cities following Euro III norms meet the fuel specs of the 2.2l engine.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:24   #37
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to IOC regular diesel from reputed pumps. Works well in almost all diesel engines.

Quote:
The service manager who is a friend showed me a recent (2 weeks back) notice too all service centres from Tata Motors, asking them to insist that customers use ONLY REGULAR DIESEL and NOT to use Premium Diesel, especially for Dicor engined cars. It seems that the detergents and additives may do some cleaning upstream but result in increased particulate matter in the exhaust, spoiling the Cat Con.

Thats it then I am over to IOC regular diesel for this weekend run and from now on - have been using premium exclusively all these days [7500 km], though no smoke issues. Wonder may be thats the reason why in the manual it is mentioned to rev up the engine once daily to clear the catcon.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:36   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Thats it then I am over to IOC regular diesel for this weekend run and from now on - have been using premium exclusively all these days [7500 km], though no smoke issues. Wonder may be thats the reason why in the manual it is mentioned to rev up the engine once daily to clear the catcon.
Do revert after you do so with feedback regarding engine noise/refinement change.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 12:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

JK, its already known that the engine noise is lesser and refinement is more using normal diesel but you do loose on that drag/ pickup.

Most people report a middle way by using System-D with normal diesel and turbanman reports STP to be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Do revert after you do so with feedback regarding engine noise/refinement change.

Last edited by dadu : 27th March 2008 at 12:45.
Old 27th March 2008, 13:02   #40
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
JK, its already known that the engine noise is lesser and refinement is more using normal diesel but you do loose on that drag/ pickup.

Most people report a middle way by using System-D with normal diesel and turbanman reports STP to be even better.

Yes thats is what seems to be coming out from feedbacks.

Quote:
spoiling the Cat Con.
- thats the new thing.

System D/STP + Normal diesel. - now does this affect the catcon similarly as premium diesel

Will post my feedback when back, will be using normal diesel with no additive.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 13:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dadu : its already known that the engine noise is lesser and refinement is more using normal diesel
Dis-agree. Engine is quieter with permium diesels. Have tried combinations of Xtramile / Turbojet / Shells Extra with both the 2.0TCIC & the 1.4TC on the Indigo.

But, I did notice the exhaust to be smokier with TurboJet than when I was using Xtramile / Shell Extra

Last edited by condor : 27th March 2008 at 13:13.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 13:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
JK, its already known that the engine noise is lesser and refinement is more using normal diesel
Are you sure about that? Defies logic though
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 13:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Check again wrt to DICOR 2.2l, I can confirm based on my experience and end-user feedback here that engine is quieter and that krr krr noise will reduce considerably while pickup if on Normal Diesel Vs Premium fuel.

No smoke problem for me with premium fuels though.

I am not aware on older/ other engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dis-agree. Engine is quieter with permium diesels. Have tried combinations of Xtramile / Turbojet / Shells Extra with both the 2.0TCIC & the 1.4TC on the Indigo.

But, I did notice the exhaust to be smokier with TurboJet than when I was using Xtramile / Shell Extra
Pretty sure with the 2.2l.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Are you sure about that? Defies logic though
Old 27th March 2008, 20:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Steer, the Safari's Catcon looks same as of the petrol one ? ie, it has beads or so inside it?
I havent seen the catcon on a Petrol Safari, but the one in my truck has a honeycomb structure (like any other catcon, I guess - the catalyst is part of the honeycomb) and not with beads.

@ Dadu - the engine is smoother (i.e., more refined?) with Premium fuels and not the other way around. This is why I've used premium fuels until today - I tanked up on IBP regular this afternoon after finishing off the residual fuel inside my truck.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th March 2008 at 20:13.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 20:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

I believe you are talking about 3.0l, since most 2.2l users are moving back to plain diesel with lighter additives like System-D/ STP from the premium fuels, including myself.

The normal IOCL diesel matches the TATA fuel spec of:

Cetane: 51
Lubricity : 460
Sulphur : 350

Quote:
@ Dadu - the engine is smoother (i.e., more refined?) with Premium fuels and not the other way around. This is why I've used premium fuels until today - I tanked up on IBP regular this afternoon after finishing off the residual fuel inside my truck.

Last edited by dadu : 27th March 2008 at 20:24.