Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th March 2013, 20:38   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
If the 3rd and 4th speed modes are working fine then it might just be a case of the blower switch gone kaput! If the AC itself is not working, then its a big headache.
Thanks.
Must be the blower switch then,will send the car to the A.S.S tomorrow.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 21:29   #1502
BANNED

Guys, do you'll get a continuous hissing sound. When the ac is on.
When I switch my ac on I get this continuous hissing sound. Or at times its like the sound u get when you sip through a straw when the glass is almost empty.
Albeit a bit softer. But it seems quite audible.
Also how frequently should the whole air on system be service.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 22:38   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
When I switch my ac on I get this continuous hissing sound. Or at times its like the sound u get when you sip through a straw when the glass is almost empty.
Hissing would definitely mean AC Gas leaking. I cant think of anything else with regards to the hissing sound and since you mention that it comes only with the AC switched on. Maybe the gurus can comment further.

and regarding the AC servicing, i have never ever got such a service done in the last 2.5 years of my Vtec ownership and the AC has been running fine.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 23:55   #1504
BHPian

Did you get the issue fixed yet?
My Vtec also has the same problem and any details about the resolution would help greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Thanks.
Must be the blower switch then,will send the car to the A.S.S tomorrow.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 13:17   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
My Vtec also has the same problem and any details about the resolution would help greatly.
It's a simple resistor switch under the dash that needs to be changed. A 5-7 minute job at max and easy as hell. Just visit a garage and have this changed.

The coils break and causes blower speed 1 & 2 to stop functioning. No rocket science :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
You need to get AC compressor gas checked and while you're at it, get your compressor + bearings checked as well. It's not uncommon so don't worry!
ankitahuja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 22:02   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
It's a simple resistor switch under the dash that needs to be changed. A 5-7 minute job at max and easy as hell. Just visit a garage and have this changed.

The coils break and causes blower speed 1 & 2 to stop functioning. No rocket science :-)
Ankit said it,it was the resistor switch.
Costed around 500-600 bucks to replace.

Last edited by cityvic : 8th March 2013 at 22:04.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 00:44   #1507
BHPian

Friends - my ohc 2001 model automatic, has given following expenses till date in last 5 months of ownership: got car for 90000

Radiator broke, got a custom made one of brass copper for 6000
Battery changed to amaron 3500
Engine mounts changed 3000
Ac compressor , condensor entire fitting 22000
Front headlights upgraded 90/100 for 1200
Added internal led light for 400
Added cng seqential kit at 75k kms now car at 90k kms for 53000
Tyres new michelin xm2 for 18000

Day to day comfort and ride quality is very good, no engine issues has good pickup etc. Gives mileage of 15-16 in city on gas. 20-22 on highway.
I need to know what wrt to engine I must do as preventive measure to keep it running good? I intend to use it for another 3 years before I can get some new one? And also otherwise in the car ?
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 01:02   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Friends - my ohc 2001 model automatic, has given following expenses till date in last 5 months of ownership: got car for 90000

Radiator broke, got a custom made one of brass copper for 6000
Battery changed to amaron 3500
Engine mounts changed 3000
Ac compressor , condensor entire fitting 22000
Front headlights upgraded 90/100 for 1200
Added internal led light for 400
Added cng seqential kit at 75k kms now car at 90k kms for 53000
Tyres new michelin xm2 for 18000

Day to day comfort and ride quality is very good, no engine issues has good pickup etc. Gives mileage of 15-16 in city on gas. 20-22 on highway.
I need to know what wrt to engine I must do as preventive measure to keep it running good? I intend to use it for another 3 years before I can get some new one? And also otherwise in the car ?
That's a lot of work. Nice.

You could try using a good oil. Maybe the Castrol Magnatec EDGE. Should last quite long.

Apart from that the Honda is a reliable & sturdy car. Easy to maintain & doesn't give out too many expenses, unless its the traditional weak spot of steering leaks or oil seal breaks etc. Else just regular service is just fine.
Vandit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 23:32   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

That's a lot of work. Nice.

You could try using a good oil. Maybe the Castrol Magnatec EDGE. Should last quite long.

Apart from that the Honda is a reliable & sturdy car. Easy to maintain & doesn't give out too many expenses, unless its the traditional weak spot of steering leaks or oil seal breaks etc. Else just regular service is just fine.
Hello Vandit
Any luck or update on interior lighting ? I badly need it done thanks
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:08   #1510
BHPian

Hey guys, my OHC just keeps pulling to the right. Have done wheel alignment 2 times but in vain. Also the oil seals of the steering rack have worn out and leaking oil from the right side. Any solutions guys, any help would be appreciated.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:24   #1511
BHPian

How old is your OHC? Did you do any suspension repairs? Any recent accidents or major underbody hit? Check the suspension components; if Ball Joints or other critical components are busted, alignment won't do any good (infect any good mechanic will refuse to do alignment when suspension is not in order).

Oil Leak from the steering rack is a very common issue on OHC; there are two possible solutions, first is to fix with Honda and it will cost around 20-25k, second is get a good mechanic remove the steering rack and have him send it to a lathe to replace the oil rings, this method costs around 8000 bucks; there are plenty of members (including me) who have tried this fix and are satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Hey guys, my OHC just keeps pulling to the right. Have done wheel alignment 2 times but in vain. Also the oil seals of the steering rack have worn out and leaking oil from the right side. Any solutions guys, any help would be appreciated.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:30   #1512
BHPian

Its a 2000 model city. My right side tie rod was bust. I replaced it but the problem is still there. Should I interchange the tyres and see if anything happens but the pull is too hard to be done by tyres. I have done rack work 2 times earlier also when there were no alignment issues. I think the steering rack is bad as there is too much play in the steering as well.
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:37   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
I think the steering rack is bad as there is too much play in the steering as well.
Its axle most probably. If not the other thing could be the steering assembly and you might need to replace it.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:42   #1514
BHPian

Yeah axel is bad as it is makes taktak noise on turning.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:40   #1515
BHPian

Is it possible to get an engine mapping/performance tuning done for the 1.3 Exi ?? I have no idea if my car even has an ECU programmable for optimum efficiency and performance.. if it does, does anyone know who does it in Mumbai??

Also is there a universal OBD scanner that i can get which could also be used with my city's (Exi/ZX i-DSi/i-Vtec) and future cars when i move to a newer car?

Thanks for any info / advice !
Vandit is online now   Reply With Quote