Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd May 2013, 00:33   #1576
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
My City recently had a serious shunt.

Although most of the damage is to the right front fender, I am afraid my front bumper which was literally hanging on by a thread (Steel wire to be exact ) is no more usable.

I had been putting off changing the bumpers for quite some time. But now it seems I don't have a choice.

Anyone have any leads on where I can find a set of new bumpers from my OHC in Bangalore.

I dont mind a custom set also as long is the quality is good/great.

Guys...desperately need help.

Any leads would be helpful.
Rokztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:33   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

Check the place I have pointed out with an arrow. Where the distributor touches the head. There should be a notch made from the factory across the distributor and the mounting pillar on the head. A semi-reliable way of fixing the issue would be to loosen the 3 bolts that hold the distributor and turning the distributor so that the notch forms a single line across the two. Then tighten the 3 bolts.

The correct/scientific way to get the correct base timing requires a timing light. If you're getting the timing fixed by the dealership, ask them to use a timing light; should take no more than 3 minutes.

Jump the service connector, start the car. Check Engine Light will come on. Let it idle, no revving. Assuming the timing light has been connected at all the correct places (battery terminals, spark plug #1), the light will strobe when #1 cylinder is fired. Point the timing light at the crankshaft pulley and look through the 'V' notch in the timing cover. The light, notch and pulley should coincide in such a way as to get the middle timing mark from the 3 (10, 12, 14 degrees) when the light is strobed; which is 12 degrees BTDC. If incorrect, adjust the distributor (advance/retard) until it does.
Pranav I cant find any such notch on both the distributor as well as the mount. Also my distributor has only 2 bolts instead of 3 as you said.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:04   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

In that case, you need to get it done at a Honda stealership.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:11   #1579
BHPian

Exclamation Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Hello Guys,

I own a 2001 Vtec model. It has clocked over 1.7 lac kms. It still feels amazing to drive.

Recently, i have started facing peculiar issues. Some history before I explain the issues:

One day back in January 2013, when it was still winters in Delhi, I was stuck in a very bad traffic jam and took over 4 hrs. to get over the jam. Once i got over the jam and started driving home, the temp needle moved towards H and beyond. I waited for car to cool down for some time and started driving, and the needle shot back to H.

As it was very late in night, I drove at slow speed and reached home.

Next day I showed the car to local mechanic and he said gasket needs replaced. He also mentioned that radiator has gone bad (something about rust in radiator) and that he has repaired the radiator for the time being and I can replace it in summers. He advised only to put water in it & no coolant.

The car ran fine for some time. Since last month, I am facing very peculiar issues.

1. The temp needle keeps on moving up and down, as if it has a mind of it's own. I am unable to figure out whether the car is running withing right temperature or not.

2. Everytime I run the car for distance more than 30 kms in city continuously, once i stop the engine, I hear weird noise coming from engine bay. Something like presurrized water coming out of a hose, at quick short intervals.

3. When above situation happens, the car refuses to restart immediately, and I have to wait sometime before i start the engine.

4. The A/c works fine for sometime, and i have to switch it on & off in intervals, as I do not know whether car is running within correct tempratures or not.

5. Due to reasons unknown to me, the A/c works only at position 4. Earlier, it used to work on position 3 & 4 only.

6. I have gotten repaired the starter, and have replaced the battery.

7. The engine is seemingly consuming engine oil. I had topped up Engine oil during the repairs in January, and I had to top up the engine oil again ~ 1.5 liters this week.

8. Almost every morning before starting the car, I am checking the level of oil & water. I have to add some quantity of water in radiator almost everyday.

I know the logic says to immediately replace the radiator, but I want to ask all experts out here, if changing the radiator alone will help solve the problem, or something else also needs to be replaced/repaired? Am i looking at huge repair bills?

Thanks.
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:39   #1580
BHPian

When you stop the car and hear the noise , check from where steam is escaping. Also change the radiator and replace all hoses. Ac fan speed problem is due a small fuse like thing found behind the glovebox. Replace it and you can have all 4 speeds. Check if u find oil in the radiator water in order to rule out gasket problem.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:38   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hello Guys,

I know the logic says to immediately replace the radiator, but I want to ask all experts out here, if changing the radiator alone will help solve the problem, or something else also needs to be replaced/repaired? Am i looking at huge repair bills?

Thanks.
Replace Radiator immediately in order to avoid being stranded and overheating the engine. Original Honda ones cost around 10k or more. I had got an AVIS make for 3.5k and its running fine. Dont take risks by repairing the radiator and letting the engine shoot to high temperatures (in case the radiator work is not done properly)
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:25   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Also change the radiator and replace all hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Replace Radiator immediately in order to avoid being stranded and overheating the engine. Original Honda ones cost around 10k or more. I had got an AVIS make for 3.5k and its running fine. Dont take risks by repairing the radiator and letting the engine shoot to high temperatures (in case the radiator work is not done properly)
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I plan to change the radiator immediately.

The reason I have put up the query is to find out if by changing the radiator only the problem will solve, or am i looking at a lot of parts replacements.

PS: Any suggestions for good garages/shops in delhi where I can purchase and get the radiator installed?
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:25   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I plan to change the radiator immediately.

The reason I have put up the query is to find out if by changing the radiator only the problem will solve, or am i looking at a lot of parts replacements.

PS: Any suggestions for good garages/shops in delhi where I can purchase and get the radiator installed?
I believe a big service is due for your car.
Get it checked thoroughly at a good workshop.
You can look for a good workshop in the directory section.
For buying spares just go to Batra at ashram.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 15:49   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Update on the work done on my Vtec a couple of weeks back. Missed updating here.

Alternator Cutout had gone bad and had to be replaced.
Speedometer Cable and the spindle where it connects to the wheel end.
Removing the sticky gum from the windows (since i couldnt after removing the films myself)
New Drivers side power window motor with winders (i purchased this separately and gave to the garage)

Total Cost - 4k excluding the 2.2k for the power window motor.

Work done at BHPian V12's Swastik Motors at Seven Bungalows, Versova close to Urban Tadka.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 13:31   #1585
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea if the OHC (1.3 in my case) has a fuel low indicator light? I've never tried to push it that far.. But I've generally been told the needle on the indicator can safely be pushed till just above "E" on the dial (which is located a bit further down and away from the last notch on the gauge indicating empty)

That got me thinking if our OHC have any indication system to warn of severe fuel starvation risks? All new cars have them i guess
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 13:45   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Does anyone have an idea if the OHC (1.3 in my case) has a fuel low indicator light? I've never tried to push it that far.. But I've generally been told the needle on the indicator can safely be pushed till just above "E" on the dial (which is located a bit further down and away from the last notch on the gauge indicating empty)

That got me thinking if our OHC have any indication system to warn of severe fuel starvation risks? All new cars have them i guess
My OHC 1.3 didn't have a low fuel indicator.
Ran it dry on a couple of occasions.
Generally, when the needle crosses the E Mark, the car is running on reserve and the OHC has about 5 liters of reserve
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 14:34   #1587
BHPian

The needle of my OHC fuel meter is never stable. If I rev the car it goes down rapidly and if I drive sedately it climbs slowly. Though when below E I can drive upto 20kms.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 15:18   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
The needle of my OHC fuel meter is never stable. If I rev the car it goes down rapidly and if I drive sedately it climbs slowly. Though when below E I can drive upto 20kms.
That's DTE (distance to empty). happens with most cars.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 15:49   #1589
BHPian

The OHC has a sensitive fuel gauge. Press hard on the accelerator and you will see the needle take a quick dip and will return to 'real time' state once back to sedated driving.

One can easily drive till a short distance when the needle is on E or even a notch lower. However, this practice is not recommended at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is no low fuel indicator in OHC.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 10th May 2013 at 15:52.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 16:10   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
My OHC 1.3 didn't have a low fuel indicator.
Ran it dry on a couple of occasions.
Generally, when the needle crosses the E Mark, the car is running on reserve and the OHC has about 5 liters of reserve
Cool. Thanks for letting me know

Quote:
So I'm guessing E & Below is about 3-5 lts of petrol remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
The OHC has a sensitive fuel gauge. Press hard on the accelerator and you will see the needle take a quick dip and will return to 'real time' state once back to sedated driving.

One can easily drive till a short distance when the needle is on E or even a notch lower. However, this practice is not recommended at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is no low fuel indicator in OHC.
Yup. I noticed it too.. and that was also part of the reason i asked this question. I've seen it happen all too often.. notoriously so when climbing inclines on a lower gear to get the traction.. I could never understand though how the sensitivity of the needle was linked to the use of the pedal-to-metal behaviour almost instantly! lol.

When nearing E during stable steady state... the needle will quickly drop to E and below when driving at a brisk pace, but moment i keep steady or at standstill on a reasonably level surface, it returns to what i guess is the actual level. Nevertheless it still gives me a fright now and then when i forget to check it sometimes!

EDIT: BTW the 1.3 has what? max 40 lts capacity??

Last edited by Vandit : 10th May 2013 at 16:11.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote