Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 16:27   #1591
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Yup. I noticed it too.. and that was also part of the reason i asked this question. I've seen it happen all too often.. notoriously so when climbing inclines on a lower gear to get the traction.. I could never understand though how the sensitivity of the needle was linked to the use of the pedal-to-metal behaviour almost instantly! lol.

When nearing E during stable steady state... the needle will quickly drop to E and below when driving at a brisk pace, but moment i keep steady or at standstill on a reasonably level surface, it returns to what i guess is the actual level. Nevertheless it still gives me a fright now and then when i forget to check it sometimes!

EDIT: BTW the 1.3 has what? max 40 lts capacity??
actually when climbing up an incline, because the fuel gauge is a simple ballcock [i know that is a stupid name, but that's what its called] attached to a sensor the fuel will move to the rear of the tank and hence the level at the ballcock will drop.

i've once filled close to 45 liters in my tank.. when i was well into reserve..

so i think its 40 + 5 [reserve]
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 16:55   #1592
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
actually when climbing up an incline, because the fuel gauge is a simple ballcock [i know that is a stupid name, but that's what its called] attached to a sensor the fuel will move to the rear of the tank and hence the level at the ballcock will drop.

i've once filled close to 45 liters in my tank.. when i was well into reserve..

so i think its 40 + 5 [reserve]

Yeah, I know how that works with inclines.. but what i mean't was that it is also super sensitive to driving aggressively on normal elevations. In that sense, it's almost like it's linked to the TPS because it reacts so well to driving style.. but i think it overdoes it, fooling you into thinking you're gonna gulp up all the petrol driving like that :P (then again, i think that's the idea behind the sensitivity in the first place! lol)
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:19   #1593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 184
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

The speedometer in my VTEC is not steady and vibrates a bit. My 1.3 also has the same problem but it's worse. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 00:28   #1594
BHPian
 
BLACKRiVAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
The speedometer in my VTEC is not steady and vibrates a bit. My 1.3 also has the same problem but it's worse. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?
Replace the speedo. Common with the OHCs. Mine also does the same at low speeds.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 10:45   #1595
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 184
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Replace the speedo. Common with the OHCs. Mine also does the same at low speeds.
Do you mean replace the speedometer cable or the entire instrument cluster?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 11:26   #1596
BHPian
 
BLACKRiVAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Do you mean replace the speedometer cable or the entire instrument cluster?
Try and replace the cable first. Here where I live they also repair the speedo console. Though it goes bad again in sometime in around 7 to 8 months.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 11:29   #1597
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post

Try and replace the cable first. Here where I live they also repair the speedo console. Though it goes bad again in sometime in around 7 to 8 months.
Don't bother replacing the cable.

I've had the same problem in my OHC for the past couple of years. The only probable solution may be replacement of the speedo itself. I've got all wiring changed as it had stopped working completely after a certain while. Still shakes with the new wiring.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 13:22   #1598
BHPian
 
OHCVtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hello friends, need your advise here. Off late my vtec gives a sudden jerk and the Engine Check light comes on. It stays on for that run and disappears when I start the car next time. This does not happen always, say one in a week or so. Any ideas what the issue could be.
OHCVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 20:47   #1599
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Try to read the engine code when CEL is ON.
Follow this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2809881 (1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more)


Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Hello friends, need your advise here. Off late my vtec gives a sudden jerk and the Engine Check light comes on. It stays on for that run and disappears when I start the car next time. This does not happen always, say one in a week or so. Any ideas what the issue could be.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 15:44   #1600
BHPian
 
BLACKRiVAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

How much oil need to be filled in 1.5 OHC? My mechanic puts in 3.5 litres. Which is the best oil and what should be the grade rating?
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 11:01   #1601
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 184
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I feel my VTEC doesn't have a good grip on the road. On two occasions I've felt the rear of the car fishtail out from under me while taking curves at a higher speed. I have the stock tyres and suspension that came with the car. Will upgrading to 205/50/15 tyres fix this? Or do I also have to do something about the suspension?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:07   #1602
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
I feel my VTEC doesn't have a good grip on the road. On two occasions I've felt the rear of the car fishtail out from under me while taking curves at a higher speed. I have the stock tyres and suspension that came with the car. Will upgrading to 205/50/15 tyres fix this? Or do I also have to do something about the suspension?
Both will help.
What tyres are you running?
How old are they?
How many kilometers have they done?

Even on the stock tyre size if you get a soft compound tyre you should notice better grip levels.

I had upgraded to Pedders sports Ryder suspension and 205/50/R15 Yokohama S.Drives.
The grip levels were insane.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:59   #1603
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 184
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Both will help.
What tyres are you running?
==============
I had upgraded to Pedders sports Ryder suspension and 205/50/R15 Yokohama S.Drives.
The grip levels were insane.
I have the original Bridgestone tyres that came with the car. They're about 10 yrs old and have done about 28,000 km. Yes, you read that right! The car is practically brand new. I got it second hand about 2 months ago.

I can only upgrade the tyres right now. Will that fix this problem?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 17:09   #1604
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

As you mentioned that you are still running on stock tyres that would be at least 10 years old; tyres that old become brittle and can prove to be very dangerous. First thing you should do is to change the tyres. If you want wider rubber, go with 195 or 205 profile.

Also, check the suspension thoroughly and replace the parts that need attention (or replace at least the bushes).


Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
I feel my VTEC doesn't have a good grip on the road. On two occasions I've felt the rear of the car fishtail out from under me while taking curves at a higher speed. I have the stock tyres and suspension that came with the car. Will upgrading to 205/50/15 tyres fix this? Or do I also have to do something about the suspension?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 17:50   #1605
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 184
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
As you mentioned that you are still running on stock tyres that would be at least 10 years old; tyres that old become brittle and can prove to be very dangerous. First thing you should do is to change the tyres. If you want wider rubber, go with 195 or 205 profile.

Also, check the suspension thoroughly and replace the parts that need attention (or replace at least the bushes).
The suspension is silky smooth right now. Can't even hear a single squeak from it! Should I still get it checked and replace the bushes? The car has barely been used all these years.

Also, if I go for 205 profile will the front tyres touch the wheel wells when the steering is turned completely?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:03.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks