Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th July 2013, 15:51   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ofil4us View Post
Has anyone ever replaced the black plastic mud guards or underbody mouldings, mine were missing on one side, Need to find a set as mud and water is sprayed everywhere underneath the bonnet and inside the door hinges.
I am getting a qquote of 1000 for each side (original spares from Opera house my mechanic says), Is it good enough or should I be better off to kurla CST ROAD

As far as i know, the mud guards for the Type 2 were rubber ones and not plastic moulded ones. I got a set of 4 rubber ones for around 300 bucks from Shetty Motors, Opera House last year.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 16:05   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ofil4us View Post
Has anyone ever replaced the black plastic mud guards or underbody mouldings, mine were missing on one side, Need to find a set as mud and water is sprayed everywhere underneath the bonnet and inside the door hinges.
I am getting a qquote of 1000 for each side (original spares from Opera house my mechanic says), Is it good enough or should I be better off to kurla CST ROAD
I got one from decent motors kurla cst for 600rs. It was of left side.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 22:43   #1653
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Guys, on the way back from office just now I was forced to drive my precious VTEC though a 2-foot deep pool of water for a distance of 15-20 feet.

It's running fine but what all should I check to make absolutely sure there is no damage?
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 11:57   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
My car's rear dampers (both) are shot.
How much would be the cost?

I hope I can get dampers alone, and it doesn't come packaged with spring and all other auxiliary stuff ...
Can anyone please help!

Also two funny things have cropped up:
1. Looks to be wiring problem. Horn and headlights have stopped working. This happened suddenly yesterday evening (gasp! just made it) during downpour!

2. The Oil level low indication light suddenly comes up for a fraction of a second, and then vanishes. I have not been able to make out the pattern (whether it happens during acceleration/deceleration/braking/turning/engine braking etc).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 13:17   #1655
Senior - BHPian

If your oil level is upto mark, then you either have a bad pump that isn't able to pump oil constantly and properly (gerotor gears most probably) or the clearances between your crank and bearings has opened up to the point where oil pressure is being lost.

I'd bet it's just low amount of oil in the pan causing it to slosh and feeding the oil pickup some fresh air. Get it checked.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 12:31   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
If your oil level is upto mark, then you either have a bad pump that isn't able to pump oil constantly and properly (gerotor gears most probably) or the clearances between your crank and bearings has opened up to the point where oil pressure is being lost.

I'd bet it's just low amount of oil in the pan causing it to slosh and feeding the oil pickup some fresh air. Get it checked.
Thanks, it was the low level of oil only (phew!)
Wiring problem has been solved.
Incidentally I faced this wrath of wiring issues while traveling in peak summer - no AC!
Looks like all the socket/plug clips create issues when they get old.

But for the oil problem, there IS a leak, and the mechanic told about one gasket and one bearing that need to be replaced.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:17   #1657
Senior - BHPian

How did he figure out a bad bearing by refilling oil? Assuming it is related to the oil leak issue.

Get the whole engine cleaned to a shine, then spray some white powder in places where the leak could be. Run the engine for some time and recheck the powder and you will find your leak.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 17:02   #1658
BHPian

2 nights ago I heard a tic tic tic noise from the dash, soon found that my speedo was not working, figured that the cable would have snapped or come off... but the next thing was that the ECL (yellow) dreaded light came on 5 mins after the tic tic music.
my first thought was the O2 sensor is busted again!
The light goes off when i start the engine and reappears after 10mins of running, due to the rains I haven't been able to change the cable or get the car to the mechanic.
Any suggestion to solve this other than change the cable
How complicated is this cable change? is there a way to DIY to know if my sensor is kaput..
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 18:30   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
2 nights ago I heard a tic tic tic noise from the dash, soon found that my speedo was not working, figured that the cable would have snapped or come off... but the next thing was that the ECL (yellow) dreaded light came on 5 mins after the tic tic music.
The light goes off when i start the engine and reappears after 10mins of running, due to the rains I haven't been able to change the cable or get the car to the mechanic.
How complicated is this cable change? is there a way to DIY to know if my sensor is kaput..
Cable change is a fairly simple job. I too had my cable snapped but no tic tic noise. Speedo wouldnt work and the CEL would light up after few minutes of driving. Cable replacement sorted out the things.

On a separate note, while getting the car serviced what all sensors should one check and clean. Heard about MAF or MAP sensors, IAC, Vtec Solenoid etc. Can the gurus provide a list of such sensors to be checked.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 18th July 2013 at 18:33.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 20:29   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
I got this done some time back. Got the cable from Honda A** and got it fixed from my local mechanic due to time constraints. The cable costed around 450/-. Installation was not as straight forward as I had thought as the guy took out the steering and the speedometer from the dash. Only issue I have now is that I get a tic tic noise in the 80-100 kmph range,this might be installation issue. The CEL Light is gone though.
OHCVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 23:06   #1661
BHPian

Quote:

Start reading from post 1341
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2962322 (1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more)

Notice that the ECU light will come on ONLY when you allow engine breaking = speed up and then take your foot off the accelerator without shifting to neutral for a few seconds, the light will come on. In case you engage the clutch-hit neutral (not allow any engine braking) then the light won't come on!
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 17:37   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Car wont start.

Started the car on Saturday Morning, idled it for a few minutes and switched off. Tried starting the car on Sunday Night and it doesnt. Battery is new and ok. It cranks very slow and then just stops cranking. Could it be the starter motor or something associated with it. Can i try anything at home to start the car. Is push start advisable?
Old 30th July 2013, 17:37   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
How did he figure out a bad bearing by refilling oil? Assuming it is related to the oil leak issue.

Get the whole engine cleaned to a shine, then spray some white powder in places where the leak could be. Run the engine for some time and recheck the powder and you will find your leak.
I guess that he just guessed ...
You have any idea what bearing he was talking about? (no repair done yet)

Also anyone here knows what are the wiper sizes for OHC?
Old 30th July 2013, 21:27   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Car wont start.

Started the car on Saturday Morning, idled it for a few minutes and switched off. Tried starting the car on Sunday Night and it doesnt. Battery is new and ok. It cranks very slow and then just stops cranking. Could it be the starter motor or something associated with it. Can i try anything at home to start the car. Is push start advisable?
Push start is not advisable. Any recent head work done?

It's either to do with the starter motor or even the alternator - even though the battery is new.

Call the battery guy first thing and check the alternator.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 21:56   #1665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Push start is not advisable. Any recent head work done?

It's either to do with the starter motor or even the alternator - even though the battery is new.

Call the battery guy first thing and check the alternator.
Thanks Ankit. Engine never opened.

Battery is a month old and Alternator work was done 2 months back so it has to be starter motor.