Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th January 2015, 13:15   #1816
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Guys, I am thinking about buying a used 2000 HondaCity Vtec with 67,000 km on the odo.
It looks clean on the outside with minimal scratches.

Owner quotes 2 lakh at Hyderabad registration.

Is a 15 year old car reliable? I am more concerned about constant niggles.How about the parts availability and service costs at Honda A.S.S.
How much do the basic mods cost ?

Having completed my studies recently, I got a job and moving to baroda. It is better to buy the car there itself ?

I am looking for a Fun to Drive car within 2 lakh. Basic mods if any should come under the budget too.

My other options are 2006 Baleno Vxi or a 2007 Palio Stile 1.6.

Any suggestions ?
That's a lot being asked for - 2 Lakh is pretty high for a 2000 model unless EVERYTHING in that car is in Very Good condition.

Please don't forget that it's 15 years old and will require attention.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 11:20   #1817
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
Hey infotech58 were you able to find the service manual? My OHC has done 67000 odd kilometers and I have no clue when I need to do the necessary changes as I service it at a private workshop.

It would be nice if there is someone is Bangalore who could lend me their owner’s manual to take a copy of it cause I don't have that either .
Here are the images to the manual in my car. I only took photos of the important pages. I do have the complete manual. But there is nothing else useful other than these photos. Do let me know if you want the rest of the pages. The only other thing you may find useful is the operation instructions for half a dozen stereo systems.

Hope this helps you guys. Bye.
Attached Images

hangover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 13:19   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Guys, I have some doubts on whether or not my VTEC is really working. I used this video as a basis for my investigation:

Since I don't have the service manual and wiring diagrams, I first hooked up the VTEC solenoid to a multimeter and went for a spin on the ring road. I connected the positive red wire to the solenoid and the negative black wire to the body frame for grounding.

As expected, it was first at 0V and then at exactly 5500 RPM the ECU sent a 12V signal (it was actually 13.X) to the solenoid. So I figured out that this is a pull-up circuit and that to test further, I needed to connect the solenoid to the positive terminal of the battery.

After coming home, I turned off the engine and as per the video, gave a 12V signal to the solenoid. I heard it clicking on and off so it was good. For the next step, again as per the video I switched on the engine and gave the signal but there was no change in the idling RPM :(

Should I be worried? Are my VTEC hydraulics shot?

Relax!! Its working fine!! There is no need to worry! If you still don't get peace of mind, head to a HASS and have them connect a obd scanner. Put the car on the lift and ensure that the front wheels are not touching the ground, start the car, put it in 1st and revv it past 5500. On the scanner you will see that the "VTEC SOL" goes from "off" to "on".

Please be advised that on our Indian Vtec's, if the car is stock, 99.9% of the time the switchover is not audible. Doesn't mean the "Vtec didn't kick in yo"!

Had one question though! What made you feel that your Vtec ain't working?

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 27th January 2015 at 13:23.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 22:06   #1819
BHPian

My ohc vtec has been in harmony honda chandigarh, for the past 3 months for repairs and service. I had replaced the ac compressor, condenser with new pipes. However when they started testing the car, first the compressor stopped, then the cooling fan.

First they said that the wiring may be at fault but now they are saying that the problem might be with the ecu.

Now they are waiting for another ohc vtec to come to the shop so that they can test my car with its ecu. Is there any other way to check this out, the handheld diagnostic that honda gives them is showing no problem but they are saying that something is wrong with the ground.

Any advice guys...
R.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 20:17   #1820
Max
BHPian

Today Installed, right side mirror in my 2nd Gen Honda City (Dolphin Model). Cost Rs.1080 for the mirror, Rs.500 for Painting, Rs.100 for fitting (Road side vendor).
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 01:16   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Relax!! Its working fine!! There is no need to worry! If you still don't get peace of mind, head to a HASS and have them connect a obd scanner. Put the car on the lift and ensure that the front wheels are not touching the ground, start the car, put it in 1st and revv it past 5500. On the scanner you will see that the "VTEC SOL" goes from "off" to "on".

Please be advised that on our Indian Vtec's, if the car is stock, 99.9% of the time the switchover is not audible. Doesn't mean the "Vtec didn't kick in yo"!

Had one question though! What made you feel that your Vtec ain't working?
My car feels less powerful than a 1.5 exi. Though it has been better this past month for some reason. Maybe because it was really cold this winter and formed a natural cold air intake that bumped up the power!

The car idles around 1400 rpm at a cold start and settles down to 700 rpm after a few minutes. The pulling power at low rpms feels much better at cold start than after the engine warms up.

Also, won't the OBD scanner just detect if the solenoid is switching on or not? If so, I've already confirmed by myself that it is working using a multimeter. I now want to know if the actual mechanical changes are happening inside the engine when the solenoid switches on. Why? Just curious and also to gain more knowledge about my car

Another thing is, at mid range rpms sometimes the pulling power feels like that of a 1.3 and sometimes it is much more powerful. I have no idea what causes the difference. It feels like the engine is holding back and only occasionally opens up.

Last edited by bowser : 5th February 2015 at 01:19.
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 12:33   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
My car feels less powerful than a 1.5 exi. Though it has been better this past month for some reason. Maybe because it was really cold this winter and formed a natural cold air intake that bumped up the power!

The car idles around 1400 rpm at a cold start and settles down to 700 rpm after a few minutes. The pulling power at low rpms feels much better at cold start than after the engine warms up.

Also, won't the OBD scanner just detect if the solenoid is switching on or not? If so, I've already confirmed by myself that it is working using a multimeter. I now want to know if the actual mechanical changes are happening inside the engine when the solenoid switches on. Why? Just curious and also to gain more knowledge about my car

Another thing is, at mid range rpms sometimes the pulling power feels like that of a 1.3 and sometimes it is much more powerful. I have no idea what causes the difference. It feels like the engine is holding back and only occasionally opens up.
What I infer from your post is that, you feel that your car is low on power! There could be 100 reasons for that to happen. The Vtec mechanism failing could be one of the last reasons, unless you have or someone else has opened the valve cover, removed the valve train and messed with it!

Please visit a competent mechanic and get the following done/checked

1. Compression (Cold). Anything below a 175- 180psi across keeping in mind where you live should be a good cause for you to feel the dip in performance
2. Throttle body cleaned
3. IACV cleaned
4. Air filter replaced/cleaned depending on what you're using. If stock and old replace it or else if aftermarket, get it cleaned.
5. Check your O2 sensor! See if its working!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, please get the distributor timing check from a really knowledgeable guy!!

Please check and let us know the results!! Stop worrying about Vtec kicking in yo!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 5th February 2015 at 12:35.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 16:12   #1823
BHPian

Just changed the shoes of my VTEC. Earlier was running on Michelin XM2, now she has Yoko Earth1. Did the changes at Lokmanya Tyres. Owner is very good person. All work including balancing etc was done in 45 min.

Last edited by KaandBaaz : 28th February 2015 at 16:18.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 02:46   #1824
BHPian

For guys in Bangalore, you may consider another service center called as Bharath Auto Garage.

Its not recognized by any official company but they do a brilliant job at tinkering, painting and replacing complex parts. I've seen guys getting their latest models fixed here.

Recently I got my Honda Type II fixed after a nasty rear end collision left it as in the attached image.

No point in claiming insurance as it as the parts are mostly plastic and my car is quite old.

But I got it fixed by these guys in 2 days. It looks as good as new. A used left rear section of bumper was sourced and all the rest of it was fixed and painted. The whole excercise costed me 10k.

It checks all the marks for a good repair shop. Fancy Reception Area (none), customer care follow up (none), cleanliness (none), credit cards accepted (none; just cash), technical knowledge (top notch), quality of work (brilliant).

Here are the directions. The auto garage is exactly opposite to the supermarket below.

https://goo.gl/maps/p4xrb
Attached Images

hangover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 15:00   #1825
BHPian

Hey guys is it possible to install speakers in the rear doors of the OHC Vtec. Has anyone on the forum done so? I just installed a new set in the car, and now I am getting a used Infinity 500w set from a friend, so wanted to isntall them in the rear tray and the the new ones in the rear doors. Is it a right move. Please guide.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 22:32   #1826
BHPian

Guys, any suggestions for installing cup holders in the OHC? It's the one major gripe I have with my precious.
bowser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 10:46   #1827

Quote:
Guys, any suggestions for installing cup holders in the OHC? It's the one major gripe I have with my precious.
Haha! I Long for a cup holder as well, even just one... Let me know if you come up with something.
reddify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 14:57   #1828

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddify View Post
Haha! I Long for a cup holder as well, even just one... Let me know if you come up with something.
Been looking for the same thing too. Seeing as we don't have spare dins in front to install a proper din-based cup holder. This is the best I found on the internet that doesn't require major modification. You can install it using the suction cup on the windscreen (wouldn't recommend this) or jam it in the middle ac vent.

http://www.amazon.in/Car-Can-Holder-...ANB586WMKXEAT9

Anyone ready to take the plunge?
m_bystandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 00:21   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bystandard View Post
Been looking for the same thing too. Seeing as we don't have spare dins in front to install a proper din-based cup holder. This is the best I found on the internet that doesn't require major modification. You can install it using the suction cup on the windscreen (wouldn't recommend this) or jam it in the middle ac vent.

http://www.amazon.in/Car-Can-Holder-...ANB586WMKXEAT9

Anyone ready to take the plunge?
If you have a 1.5 or VTEC, you might be able to stick this inside the armrest compartment. 1.3 owners are out of luck.
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 01:53   #1830

Quote:
If you have a 1.5 or VTEC, you might be able to stick this inside the armrest compartment. 1.3 owners are out of luck.
That's a great idea! But won't the arm rest compartment not click shut then? I think it would need to click shut or else it won't hold the thing in place.
m_bystandard is offline   Reply With Quote