Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th March 2015, 09:50   #1831
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bystandard View Post
That's a great idea! But won't the arm rest compartment not click shut then? I think it would need to click shut or else it won't hold the thing in place.
I was thinking you can keep the entire thing vertical and the suction cup can be attached to the floor of the armrest. Of course, this is provided its small enough to fit inside. The armrest is pretty deep.
bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 14:51   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
I was thinking you can keep the entire thing vertical and the suction cup can be attached to the floor of the armrest. Of course, this is provided its small enough to fit inside. The armrest is pretty deep.
But not too wide, try fitting a regular drink can in there & based on how much space is left around, you can decide to take the chance.

Honselty, I don't see any place where I wouldnt mind attaching a cup holder. I'm 6' & reasonably plump so space is of a premium for me in the OHC & I've to accept it :/
reddify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 23:55   #1833
BHPian

Hello all,
I recently came across a 2002 Honda city type 2 Automatic (non vtec) run 68k km genuine. It is owned by a lady doctor and is in good shape. I had a test drive and the pickup seemed good. Interiors were well maintained. The owner is quoting 1.6lakh. After negotiations she came down to 1.4 lakh. I offered her 1 lakh and max of 1.1lakh. However should doesn't seem to agree.
What is the best price for the car?

I think the fuel economy is around 9-10 kmpl in the city. I am more concerned about the maintenance aspects of the vehicle. How's the fuel economy on the highway? Any transmission issues with the autobox? And can someone explain D4,D3 and 2? And also P and N? Arent P and N modes same?
thepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 04:48   #1834

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Hello all,
I recently came across a 2002 Honda city type 2 Automatic (non vtec) run 68k km genuine. It is owned by a lady doctor and is in good shape. I had a test drive and the pickup seemed good. Interiors were well maintained. The owner is quoting 1.6lakh. After negotiations she came down to 1.4 lakh. I offered her 1 lakh and max of 1.1lakh. However should doesn't seem to agree.

I think the fuel economy is around 9-10 kmpl in the city. I am more concerned about the maintenance aspects of the vehicle. How's the fuel economy on the highway? Any transmission issues with the autobox? And can someone explain D4,D3 and 2? And also P and N? Arent P and N modes same?

Hi, I have a 1.5 type 1 OHC auto (all autos are not VTEC). Can't comment on the price as I'm not familiar with OHC pricing currently.

I get around 9 in the city with ac and 10 without. Heavy traffic and ac usage does drop it down to 8. Highways I get 15 without ac, and 14 with.

Not familiar with autobox issues as the gearbox has never given trouble to me. I have heard that the gearbox is difficult to repair to the point that you need to find a qualified mechanic, but that is only in case of repair. Service is normal and my garage has been handling it well for the past 10 years or so.

The gearbox is as follows:
N- Neutral.
P - Neutral with parking brake engaged (you dont need to use the handbrake if you leave the car in this gear mode).
R - Reverse.
D4 - Drive using all 4 gears.
2 - Drive using only first two gears.
D3 - Drive using only first three gears.

Drive 4 is for normal usage. D3 and 2 are only for mountain roads or steep slopes where it makes sense to limit the car from picking higher gears so that the car doesn't run out of power while climbing.

The gearbox is great, but like all automatics, it takes a second to adjust and change gears in certain circumstances so you will need to learn how much throttle to apply to control the gearing.

See in slow and heavy traffic, it picks low gears well and on high speed highways, it picks high gears very well too,m as these are scenarios the automatic knows. But anything in between and it gets a bit lost, like for eg - if you are driving in mild traffic where you'd be speeding at 60-70, then get cut off by a rick forcing you to slow down to 30. Now if you see a gap and wish to overtake the rickshaw by accelerating again, the gearbox gets lost for a bit before dropping gears giving you the power to overtake. As in, the gearbox will be at third for 60-70 but the moment you slow down, it stays in third. But now when you accelerate to overtake the rickshaw, it takes a second to drop the gear to second and give you the necessary power to overtake. This can be scary while overtaking, because several times you may move to the oncoming traffic lane to overtake, but the car will waste a second dropping gears and you dont want to risk wasting time on the oncoming traffic lane right?

The solution to this (there is a slight learning curve here) is by learning how much throttle to apply in order to pace the car. As you are approaching a vehicle to overtake, you press 3/4th accelerator until finally while overtaking, go full accelerator, the car will immediately change gears making the overtake extremely smooth. It does sound a bit aggressive but it is the only wait to get the gearbox to work with you well enough.
m_bystandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 19:31   #1835
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
The owner is quoting 1.6lakh. After negotiations she came down to 1.4 lakh. I offered her 1 lakh and max of 1.1lakh.
e?
Is the car in bangalore? From what I have observed the rates are pretty high in B'lore. But still I feel 1.4lacs is pretty good if the condition of the car is good. Get it checked from a local garage guy or the service center. Check for service history of the car.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 22:02   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have a 1.5 type 1 OHC auto (all autos are not VTEC). Can't comment on the price as I'm not familiar with OHC pricing currently.

I get around 9 in the city with ac and 10 without. Heavy traffic and ac usage does drop it down to 8. Highways I get 15 without ac, and 14 with.

Not familiar with autobox issues as the gearbox has never given trouble to me. I have heard that the gearbox is difficult to repair to the point that you need to find a qualified mechanic, but that is only in case of repair. Service is normal and my garage has been handling it well for the past 10 years or so.
Thank you for the explanation. It answered many questions of mine. Is there any scheduled maintenance for the gearbox? Does it need to be checked periodically? As the owner has mostly serviced the vehicle in a private garage, they don't seem to have done any oil change/maintenance.etc for the autobox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Is the car in bangalore? From what I have observed the rates are pretty high in B'lore. But still I feel 1.4lacs is pretty good if the condition of the car is good. Get it checked from a local garage guy or the service center. Check for service history of the car.
No. It is in Baroda, Gujarat. I recently moved from Bangalore. It is nearly impossible to get a neatly maintained Honda City for that rate at Bangalore.

Condition is good with some touchups on the bumpers. it still feels tight.
Service history is not available as the owner serviced it at a local garage.

Last edited by thepilot : 29th March 2015 at 22:11.
thepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:40   #1837
BHPian

I own a 2001 City Vtec (yes it has the low rpm jerk issue)which has clocked 135000 kms. I bought it 18 months back when the ODO reading was 120000 kms. The car was bone stock when I bought it. I have recently changed the head-unit and speakers and the car runs on Yokohama Earth1's.

The car roof has lost its base coat and it looks patchy (is it called oxidation??) and a small dent as well. Also the car has small dents and scratches all over the body. I am considering going for an overcoat (heather mist). And also rebuffing the alloys. The painter is coating Rs. 23000 for all this.

Also plan to go for free flow exhaust (Automech) costing Rs.12000. Is it necessary to go for CAI along with FFE? How much would it cost?

Also the left hi-beam bulb is getting fried frequently. Please guide what needs to be checked.

Also it would be of great help if the GURU's could tell me what all needs to be checked or changed as the 140000 kms servicing is approaching.
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:54   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ofil4us View Post
Any idea on how a bust O2 sensor affects the mileage? Does it drop drastically to like say 5-6 kmpl?
Nope it wont. Only affects the closed loop function. Yet the Honda ECU is pretty intelligent to handle the fuelling courtesy a very reliable MAP sensor.
\We have seen steady fuelling in cars even without an O2 sensor.
So that should not affect economy. There are other reasons to it!
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 02:02   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
I own a 2001 City Vtec (yes it has the low rpm jerk issue)which has clocked 135000 kms. I bought it 18 months back when the ODO reading was 120000 kms. The car was bone stock when I bought it. I have recently changed the head-unit and speakers and the car runs on Yokohama Earth1's.

The car roof has lost its base coat and it looks patchy (is it called oxidation??) and a small dent as well. Also the car has small dents and scratches all over the body. I am considering going for an overcoat (heather mist). And also rebuffing the alloys. The painter is coating Rs. 23000 for all this.

Also plan to go for free flow exhaust (Automech) costing Rs.12000. Is it necessary to go for CAI along with FFE? How much would it cost?

Also the left hi-beam bulb is getting fried frequently. Please guide what needs to be checked.

Also it would be of great help if the GURU's could tell me what all needs to be checked or changed as the 140000 kms servicing is approaching.
Low rpm jerks in 1st gear is a common issue with OHCs...something to do with the stock ECU. So don't bother unless you plan to swap it with a chipped one.
Make sure you have 4x2x1 combination for your headers.
The timing belt change is long overdue. Run the engine compression test to make sure the cylinders are running healthy. Its a simple 10min test which any professional garage guy can do.
Sunilb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 11:19   #1840
BHPian

Alright a new problem popped up yesterday night. I was returning from the office and I noticed that the temperature needle was at exact center when normally it is below it. Luckily I noticed it 1-2 kms before my house and by the time I reached my parking the needle had reached the top. Immediately I turned off the ignition and opened the bonnet. I saw some coolant leaking in the engine. (have posted the photo below) Also there was a hissing sound. After 10 minutes i turned on the ignition, the fans started and the needle started coming down but the hissing sound was still there. As it was pretty late in the night I turned off the ignition, locked the car and went home. I checked the car again in the morning and there was no hissing sound.

Any idea whats wrong?

Sorry cannot post video of the hissing sound as only video url's can be posted.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-20150604_000907.jpg  

Last edited by KaandBaaz : 4th June 2015 at 11:23.
Old 4th June 2015, 16:32   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea whats wrong?

Sorry cannot post video of the hissing sound as only video url's can be posted.
Check your radiator and coolant hoses thoroughly. The hissing sound happens when the pressure built up inside the radiator leaks out.

Check for radiator leaks. Do not use anything like MSeal or any adhesive to try seal it off, it wont. Replace radiator for peace of mind if required.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 17:34   #1842
BHPian

Hi All

I need some help. I went through this thread and also consulted my mechanic after I have been feeling that my 2002 V tec is not performing up to the mark.

I feel its slightly sluggish on the 1st gear and then picks up well around 2300 RPM. Plus the car gives jerks at intermediate RPMs when I let the car cruise under idling.

So I got the engine tappit removed and cleaned, Valves checked for gaps, Spark plugs checked and throttle body cleaned, although the car is performing better still I feel its not the V tec I used to enjoy.

Further when I went for scanning, the guy scanned the car and said that everything is fine and performing well. when I asked him to check for compression pressure, he replied "that the distributor of v tec is very scary and cant go bust so he wont take the risk and I could not get it done", Could anyone suggest me what should I do, and if compression test is a solution to check whether there is a problem or not - where may I go in Delhi.

I also have worn tires (hard and old), to what extent would they be blamed for the sluggish performance.

Plus I read that there is a product that helps restore (saw a few videos as well) the engine compression, How reliable is that?

Further, a mechanic suggested me that I should put in some oil (engine oil) in the petrol and then the compression would improve. I dont know how good is that or how risky is that?

I am felling a lot of shuddering as I start to move the car from standstill, I got the clutch redone, a mount replaced but still the shuddering is persistent. Kindly suggest me what further I may try to resolve this issue.

Kindly Help!!
uniq62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 11:49   #1843
BHPian

Hi all

I have a 2001 OHC VTEC and I'm looking for an ECU as mine has gone kaput.
Can anyone help?
R.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 11:09   #1844

This is a silly question but I will be giving my car in for some electrical work so I thought I'd ask anyways.

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-20150827_132402.jpg

Are the top row of lights on the AC controls supposed to light up too? Type 1.
m_bystandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 12:27   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
This is a silly question but I will be giving my car in for some electrical work so I thought I'd ask anyways.

Attachment 1409444

Are the top row of lights on the AC controls supposed to light up too? Type 1.
Which top row? Please post a day light picture and pin point the exact row/spot
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote