Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 09:51   #1876
BHPian
 
prsnck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

OHC lovers,

I have a 02 model 1.5 OHC clocked 110k km on the odo. FC is done till 2022 and it's close to my heart - This OHC. It's been a year with me and have ran 7k km once I purchased last year. Did a recent service at Honda and here are the recommended areas of service :

1. FR RH & RR RH wheel bearings need to be replaced
2. FR LH Shock absorbers need to be replaced
3. FR both stabilizer bar link need to be replaced
4. RR LH stabilizer bar link to be replaced

I would like to know what is the best procedure to get this done from the following below. Or more better ideas are most welcome. I would be using the car for another 2 years minimum but always particular about running the car in pristine condition. I occasionally do highways once in 2 months sure and else mostly city ride. It has 15 inch Yokohoma tyres with GRT alloys in it, rest all is stock.

a. Authorized Honda service. I have asked for the quote will share once I regain my senses after looking the figures.
b. Source the OEM parts and get it done by reliable mechanic
c. Source the spare parts [Non OEM tend to be as good as OEM or superior some times works better than OEM] and get it repaired from reliable mechanic

Please share the online links or offline ways to get the spare parts sourced. I want it to be done in an economical way but wants the car to be in perfect condition.

Regards
prsn
prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 16:03   #1877
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 886
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post


a. Authorized Honda service. I have asked for the quote will share once I regain my senses after looking the figures.
b. Source the OEM parts and get it done by reliable mechanic
c. Source the spare parts [Non OEM tend to be as good as OEM or superior some times works better than OEM] and get it repaired from reliable mechanic

Please share the online links or offline ways to get the spare parts sourced. I want it to be done in an economical way but wants the car to be in perfect condition.

Regards
prsn

I recommend option C - source any spares which are of good quality (like you rightly said, can be better than OEM. Even OEM works!).

You are not in my city so I can't recommend you the ways to get the spares. Local boys should be here soon to guide you!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 14:36   #1878
BHPian
 
prsnck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I recommend option C - source any spares which are of good quality (like you rightly said, can be better than OEM. Even OEM works!).

You are not in my city so I can't recommend you the ways to get the spares. Local boys should be here soon to guide you!

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it possible to get a quote - with part number, price and the brand from your sources. Or can I reach them out via - Mail/IM/Phone or any other means.

I can try arrange my friends in case co-located there. Meanwhile let me wait for Bnglr folks reply.

Rgrds
Prsn
prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:12   #1879
BHPian
 
prsnck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
OHC lovers,

I have a 02 model 1.5 OHC clocked 110k km on the odo. FC is done till 2022 and it's close to my heart - This OHC. It's been a year with me and have ran 7k km once I purchased last year. Did a recent service at Honda and here are the recommended areas of service :

1. FR RH & RR RH wheel bearings need to be replaced
2. FR LH Shock absorbers need to be replaced
3. FR both stabilizer bar link need to be replaced
4. RR LH stabilizer bar link to be replaced

I would like to know what is the best procedure to get this done from the following below. Or more better ideas are most welcome. I would be using the car for another 2 years minimum but always particular about running the car in pristine condition. I occasionally do highways once in 2 months sure and else mostly city ride. It has 15 inch Yokohoma tyres with GRT alloys in it, rest all is stock.

a. Authorized Honda service. I have asked for the quote will share once I regain my senses after looking the figures.
b. Source the OEM parts and get it done by reliable mechanic
c. Source the spare parts [Non OEM tend to be as good as OEM or superior some times works better than OEM] and get it repaired from reliable mechanic

Please share the online links or offline ways to get the spare parts sourced. I want it to be done in an economical way but wants the car to be in perfect condition.

Regards
prsn
OHC Guys,

Did a small research till date and here are the analysis. So plans to change the STABILISER BAR LINK [FR & RR] with Honda OEM and shocks wheel bearing after market. Guys looking forward to your little cents of info to proceed.

IS Delphi a better brand than Gabriel in shocks. Heard GB is slightly hard.

PARTS OEM PRICE
FR RH & RR RH WHEEL BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED. FR 3400 + RR 7000
FR LH SHOCK ABSORBERS NEED TO BE REPLACED. 9000
FR BOTH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED. 5000
RR LH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED - 3000

After Market Price

FR RH & RR RH WHEEL BEARINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED - 2000 [NSG or some brand]
FR LH SHOCK ABSORBERS NEED TO BE REPLACED. 2300 [Gabriel]
FR BOTH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED. Not Available
RR LH STABILISER BAR LINK NEED TO BE REPLACED - Not Available
prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 23:12   #1880
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 580
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I am looking to buy a 2001 Honda City VTEC as my second car, replacing my very well maintained 2014 Ritz Zxi. Frankly I donot need a second car because of which the Ritz is being sold however I am forcefully making my head follow my heart. I intend to use it for daily office runs of a total of 10 kms. The condition looks to be fine.

Is it okay to go ahead with one ?
Also it seems you donot have insurance for such old cars online when I was looking for a quote. How does one get the same and can it be comprehensive ?
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 00:12   #1881
BHPian
 
KaandBaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 181
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am looking to buy a 2001 Honda City VTEC as my second car, replacing my very well maintained 2014 Ritz Zxi. Frankly I donot need a second car because of which the Ritz is being sold however I am forcefully making my head follow my heart. I intend to use it for daily office runs of a total of 10 kms. The condition looks to be fine.

Is it okay to go ahead with one ?
Also it seems you donot have insurance for such old cars online when I was looking for a quote. How does one get the same and can it be comprehensive ?
It is never easy to say no to a VTEC, but keep in mind you are selling a hatchback and buying a sedan. Also you have not mentioned which is the first car you have and how old it is. You can buy a VTEC as a weekend car that can be modified. But I would say if second car is really not the need please pass the offer. Rather do a lateral upgrade with the money you have from selling your Ritz.

Also regarding the insurance, you can go to any agent and get a third party insurance done, also as this is a 2001 car, you would need to get the Green Tax paid.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 10:11   #1882
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 580
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
It is never easy to say no to a VTEC, but keep in mind you are selling a hatchback and buying a sedan. Also you have not mentioned which is the first car you have and how old it is. You can buy a VTEC as a weekend car that can be modified. But I would say if second car is really not the need please pass the offer. Rather do a lateral upgrade with the money you have from selling your Ritz.

Also regarding the insurance, you can go to any agent and get a third party insurance done, also as this is a 2001 car, you would need to get the Green Tax paid.
'It is never easy to say no to a VTEC' , this is exactly the point.

The other car is a new 2017 Honda City. I donot have issues driving a sedan and even though in Bangalore, my office timing and route is free of any traffic. Also my office is just 5 kms from my house. The Ritz I will sell anyway and pay off a loan.

The VTEC is a childhood crush and I am getting it at a very compelling price. All stock.

Below are the pics of the car in question

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-inkedimg20170828wa0011_li.jpg
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img20170828wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Altocumulus : 29th August 2017 at 10:31.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:42   #1883
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
'It is never easy to say no to a VTEC' , this is exactly the point.

The other car is a new 2017 Honda City. I donot have issues driving a sedan and even though in Bangalore, my office timing and route is free of any traffic. Also my office is just 5 kms from my house. The Ritz I will sell anyway and pay off a loan.

The VTEC is a childhood crush and I am getting it at a very compelling price. All stock.

Below are the pics of the car in question

Attachment 1670525
Attachment 1670526
Have you bought it ? How much did you pay ?
Are you sure its a VTEC ? From my experience VTECs had red dials.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 18:18   #1884
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 324
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Hi all,

My 2002 1.5 Exi is having starting trouble. Given the symptoms, I suspect it is the starter. To confirm this, I want to try jump-starting the car. My other car is an E-class (W124) which has a 70aH battery. Is it safe to use this battery to jump start the City? Both being 12.6V, shouldn't it be fine?
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:10.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks