Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:03   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
My OHC when driven on night with headlights on for few mins the horn stops working. When i press the horn the dash board lights get dim but no issue with the headlight and stereo . The battery light is not glowing. When the headlight is off the horn starts working. Also the car starts in first crank till now . What could be the reason ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
i think horns are not properly grounded.
Please get the wiring of the horn checked. If required, connect the horn with a separate pair of wires running directly from the battery, and then check to see if everything is working fine. Likely to be either a grounding problem or a short circuit inside the wiring harness (the latter would be awfully difficult to pinpoint).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 14:09   #272
BHPian

my VTEC restoration process is on and it looks better than when i got it, was looking for some advice on restoring the alloys, other than minor scratches, the alloys have these whitish looking marks on them a bit like when chewing gum dries or sap from trees, but they are very fine and stick to the rim, tried quite a few things like imported alloy wheel cleaners (these work well on tar even) but nothing seems to wipe these off, enclosed are two pictures , one with flash, the other without.

Any suggestions to restore my alloys to something close to original are welcome.. the last resort is to get them painted which i am not too keen on..
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-29112009003.jpg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-29112009004.jpg  

sanjayr328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 15:12   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayr328 View Post
my VTEC restoration process is on and it looks better than when i got it, was looking for some advice on restoring the alloys, other than minor scratches, the alloys have these whitish looking marks on them a bit like when chewing gum dries or sap from trees, but they are very fine and stick to the rim, tried quite a few things like imported alloy wheel cleaners (these work well on tar even) but nothing seems to wipe these off, enclosed are two pictures , one with flash, the other without.

Any suggestions to restore my alloys to something close to original are welcome.. the last resort is to get them painted which i am not too keen on..
try brasso polish used by soldiers to shine there belts. they work well for my ohc badges and alloy wheels.They remove the dullness but you have to work quite hard on the wheels.
honda3938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 16:57   #274
BHPian

seems to me that the chrome coating has worn off.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 00:58   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
seems to me that the chrome coating has worn off.
Definitely the case.

Why don't you want to get them repainted? Get it done from a good place and they will look brand new and last long!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:56   #276
Senior - BHPian

This should be of some use to you -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ight=refurbish (Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ew-alloys.html (Cheap and effective way to renew alloys)

KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 12:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

An issue I'm facing since the past few days . Whenever I''m idling in neutral(eg a traffic signal) the car has started idling at 1000rpm. And I'm not using the AC at this time. Then if I rev it once it comes down back to 700-800rpm. What could be the problem? I had got the throttle body etc cleaned at the last service 3 weeks ago. Could it be that the stock K&N replacement air filter is acting up or something else?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:13   #278
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dippy, could be something as simple as the accelerator cable jamming up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 18:22   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
An issue I'm facing since the past few days . Whenever I''m idling in neutral(eg a traffic signal) the car has started idling at 1000rpm. And I'm not using the AC at this time. Then if I rev it once it comes down back to 700-800rpm. What could be the problem? I had got the throttle body etc cleaned at the last service 3 weeks ago. Could it be that the stock K&N replacement air filter is acting up or something else?
As GTO has said, it could be the acc cable. BUT the idling could go for a toss when the TB is cleaned as the setting on the IAC valve get disturbed. I would suggest chk the acc cable first.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 01:01   #280
Senior - BHPian

Sanjayr - The machine finish has worn off and there is not much you can do to improve apart from refinishing the wheels.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 12:18   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
An issue I'm facing since the past few days . Whenever I''m idling in neutral(eg a traffic signal) the car has started idling at 1000rpm. And I'm not using the AC at this time. Then if I rev it once it comes down back to 700-800rpm. What could be the problem?
How about if its the opposite? as in - while in motion and as you slow down and de-accelarate the RPM seem to go up or stay there and come down only after 2 secs. (the response to the deceleration is opposite and slow)
This has happened very few time but if i'm right, its mostly when the car is out after a (4days) rest period. But I may be wrong - sometimes its only when you drive after a few day that you 'hear' your car :-)
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 13:49   #282
BHPian

Thanks - it looks like painting is the best solution, will get in touch with Duplicolour, Dupli-Color : Yes You Can and see how their stuff can be bought in India, from other threads on this subject, this looked like the ideal paint type for wheels, could be a good DIY project , at the risk of wrath at home . If this cant be bought here or too expensive then will look at local Pune options..
Old 10th December 2009, 17:36   #283
BHPian

Need some advice on the headlamps for my 2003 VTEC. they arent too good, reflectors are nice and shiny, i feel a bulb replacement should work well,

So some questions for all of you with experience

1. What is a safe upgrade , electrically and within RTO rules ? dont want to put needless pressure on the electrical system of an old car

2. What brands or even better, models would you recommend from experience ? I beleive a separete relay circuit is needed, any recommendations there ? Some idea of costs would be nice to have ..

3. Focus is on night time high way driving, not a big fan of white lights yet..

The other way to go would be to put driving lamps in or near the fog lamp cut outs in the bumper..

any advice is welcome.. thanks.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:24   #284
BHPian

AFAIK upgrading to a bulb that consumes more power or even HIDs will not be approved by the RTO.

I'm running 110/90 Philips bulbs in my OHC, no issues so far [been running them for over a year]
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 21:59   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayr328 View Post
Need some advice on the headlamps for my 2003 VTEC. they arent too good, reflectors are nice and shiny, i feel a bulb replacement should work well,

So some questions for all of you with experience

1. What is a safe upgrade , electrically and within RTO rules ? dont want to put needless pressure on the electrical system of an old car

Legally only 55/60W bulbs are the option. Everything else is safe

2. What brands or even better, models would you recommend from experience ? I beleive a separete relay circuit is needed, any recommendations there ? Some idea of costs would be nice to have ..

Separate relay and wiring harness are required only if you go beyond the stock watt, namely 90/100 or 100/110.
ROOTS, BOSCH and HELLA are the recommended brands for wiring harness + relay.

3. Focus is on night time high way driving, not a big fan of white lights yet..

White lights are not practical, only bling. Good thought there.

The other way to go would be to put driving lamps in or near the fog lamp cut outs in the bumper..

You will need to purchase only genuine fog lamps for them to work well. But a good bulb upgrade is the first step.

any advice is welcome.. thanks.
Answers in bold.

Check out this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ting-here.html

Ultimate suggestion is to upgrade to 100/90 with a harness and relay. Cost will be around 1k.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote