Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2011, 23:38   #526
LNK
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post

Can someone tell me at idle, what reading should the RPM show
mine shows just one stick above the minimum ,its a a stick in BOLD,
so it should be around 200rpm . is this right ?

My mechanic sad this is how it should be.

Appreciate any help guys.

Planning to sell the car now,more problems than fun.
It's usually around 600 in mine I guess. 200 seems to be far too low.
It isn't tough to sell a OHC, but very very difficult to get a decent one if you ever change your mind in the future.
LNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 09:41   #527
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

The bold stick marks 500 rpm and each small ones after that 100 each.
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 11:04   #528
Senior - BHPian

Normal idling should be at ~800 rpm.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 12:18   #529
BHPian

Normal Idling range with and without ac is given below

850rpm NON AC
950rpm with AC
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:26   #530
LNK
BHPian

How deep do you push the clutch? Unless i push it all the way to the floor, I dont get smooth shifts. Is it an issue if its touching the floor? Sometimes i hear a slight metallic sound when it does that, is it an issue?
Old 13th February 2011, 18:52   #531
Senior - BHPian

I guess that depends on the kind of clutch setting you have in your car. Some people keep it at full / half clutch release as per their convenience but a clutch should always be fully depressed while shifting gears. Metallic sound indicates that you might need to get your clutch plates checked and serviced.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 21:53   #532
LNK
BHPian

I just noticed it, right below the clutch pedal (when it is full pushed down) there's a small metallic plate sort of a thing. When the clutch pedal hits that, I get the noise. What is that plate(?), small squarish thingy with a hole in it? Is it a provision for a rubber bush that I'm missing?

And regarding the RPM , does it change when the AC is used? Sometimes i feel a loss of power with the AC on. I've a 1.5 exi. Is it normal given the age of the car?

If the car has been driven extensively over years primarily within the 2.5-3k rpm range, will it be too harsh on the engine if revved higher now? (For any car)
Old 19th February 2011, 14:07   #533
BHPian

Hey desmo...
How about your problems?
I checked in a after long time, hope you got them resolved.
I fear my dropping RPM could be a faulty throttle body, dunno how deep is this gonna cut my pockets...ouch!! it pinched! heh!

Petroheads....
I still haven't got proper reply to my dropping RPM query??
Seniors, experts please put some light or I should be on some workshops apathy....

@ Desmo
please let me know reasons for all the faults especially RPM one and did you get low rpm jerks corrected by any mean? please share

Have anybody experienced performance of Gabriel dampers in OHC?
How are they? Does Monroe make dampers for OHC too?
Which one is better?

Last edited by v12 : 19th February 2011 at 14:18.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 05:23   #534
BHPian

@OHC Vtec,

1> It might be an issue with front arms.

2> You need to do some research here, park the car turn it on and switch on the AC open the hood and check if the compressor is working or not. If it’s not working then it might be an issue with switch or wiring.

3> That’s a clear lie, do you think Honda would leave a car with defected armrest

I would suggest you to take it to Honda Service Center and get the complete check up done, so that it will help you in figuring out which parts needs to be replaced in next service.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 20th February 2011 at 05:26.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 20:16   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey desmo...
How about your problems?
I checked in a after long time, hope you got them resolved.
I fear my dropping RPM could be a faulty throttle body, dunno how deep is this gonna cut my pockets...ouch!! it pinched! heh!

Petroheads....
I still haven't got proper reply to my dropping RPM query??
Seniors, experts please put some light or I should be on some workshops apathy....

@ Desmo
please let me know reasons for all the faults especially RPM one and did you get low rpm jerks corrected by any mean? please share

Have anybody experienced performance of Gabriel dampers in OHC?
How are they? Does Monroe make dampers for OHC too?
Which one is better?

Nothing done yet, i am waiting to sell my Gypsy and get those funds routed to the Vtec but again in 2 minds on parting with the Gypsy, so no updates till now and waiting for some funds to come in.
Old 6th March 2011, 12:43   #536
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, i braked hard to save a biker and after that i notcied that my brake light was always on. I disconnected the -ve battery terminal yesterday night so that the battery doesnt drain out. Can anyone help me to locate the brake light switch and how to adjust it back.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:19   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Yesterday, i braked hard to save a biker and after that i notcied that my brake light was always on. I disconnected the -ve battery terminal yesterday night so that the battery doesnt drain out. Can anyone help me to locate the brake light switch and how to adjust it back.
Its above the brake pedal...it has a rubber packing on top which would have become hard(over time) and hence broken when you braked hard. You can just replace that rubber with a normal screw.

For all you guys facing a power loss problem/ drop in rp, these are the first few aspects you should look into -

1. Ensure that your fuel filter is new (not cleaned) (this is very imp)
2. Your fuel pump is working fine and consistently
3. Injectors are not blocked
4. Fuel tank is clean
5. Plugs and wires are in good condition

If all these check dont solve your problem then you can look at -
1. IAC valve
2. TB sensor
3. O2 sensor

Last edited by Dippy : 7th March 2011 at 10:53. Reason: Back to back posts
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:49   #538
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kaushik, How are you doing mate?

Thanks for the tip, I did try reaching in to look at the brake pedal but couldnt 'fit in' properly to take a proper dekko. I shall take it to a mech, these guys will do it easily.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:34   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hey Kaushik, How are you doing mate?

Thanks for the tip, I did try reaching in to look at the brake pedal but couldnt 'fit in' properly to take a proper dekko. I shall take it to a mech, these guys will do it easily.
Hey Desmo...i am doing fine! hope things are great at you end.

Take it to a electrician they can fix this easily. (1 min job)
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 21:31   #540
BHPian

Hey guys, anyone know where I could source a pair of OEM style fog lamps for the ohc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
I just noticed it, right below the clutch pedal (when it is full pushed down) there's a small metallic plate sort of a thing. When the clutch pedal hits that, I get the noise. What is that plate(?), small squarish thingy with a hole in it? Is it a provision for a rubber bush that I'm missing?
I have that problem as well, must be a misalligned/worn carpet after all these years of stomping on it during traffic jams.

Have you tried shifting your grey carpet over it?

Quote:
And regarding the RPM , does it change when the AC is used? Sometimes i feel a loss of power with the AC on. I've a 1.5 exi. Is it normal given the age of the car?
The AC needs lots of power to lower the temp and that's the power decrease you felt. Switch on the AC at idle and you'll see the idle RPM shifting higher by 100 odd.
So yes it's normal for the car.

Quote:
If the car has been driven extensively over years primarily within the 2.5-3k rpm range, will it be too harsh on the engine if revved higher now? (For any car)
High rpms as in 4k or 5k might not be that bad if you regularly change your oil but redlining frequently is obviously bad. But it's still loads of funn!

Last edited by di1in : 13th March 2011 at 21:48.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote