Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st June 2011, 12:37   #601
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Ok more info:
This has happened with cold start only till now.
1. I have experienced this happening at nearly same place in the morning, and evening, which leads me to believe that this occurs after a certain time. (As I said by the time I reach 3rd gear)

2. The RPM is usually around 1500. Don't know if this plays and important role. Next time I'll try to keep the engine revving high.

3. The engine fails, but regains as soon as there is no load. (again posted earlier - by pressing clutch - no load on engine)

4. While the engine is stalling, if you keep it in gear, and (try to) race - the engine follows the jerking which is prevalent in old OHC (2001).

This leads me to believe that there is an ECU related problem.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 13:33   #602
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I had a similar problem some time back... Had the mechanic check the throttle body and that sort out a lot of acceleration issues,
have you got a TBC done? try that and update.
the O2 sensor failing has no connection with this, you might have a lower FE thats it.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:49   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Till last week my temp gauge was working properly and since the last week its been on zero. Could there be a loose connection somewhere and how can i check it.

If at all the part needs to be replaced, is it easy to source and how much would it cost. I am running the car confidently as till date in the last 6 months since i got it the temp gauge needle has never crossed the halfway mark.

Please help.
The temp gauge is controlled by a single wire that's connected to a sensor that goes into the head on the transmission side. Either the sensor is broken (very common problem, the sensor breaks into two even if looked at rudely) or the wire is cut along the way. A new sensor costs around 350-500 INR. If the sensor is fine, check the wiring for continuity.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 08:51   #604
BHPian

OHC Gurus,

Just picked up a Nov-2002 OHC Vtec with 57000 kms on ODO and going to observe the behavior for approx. two weeks before I head to a garage to get the things sorted out upto my satisfaction.
Please suggest a trustable garage in Thane area and, if possible, approx. cost for clutch (not through HASS).
Right now, I see the following problems with the car:
1- Clutch is hard. After driving a NHC for some time (which had a brand new clutch), moving to OHC Vtec, I can really feel the difference.
2- Driver Seat has some play (1 cm or so, may be some screw is loose).
3- Passanger Side door handle needs greecing.
4- Boot doesn't open using the key, however it does work when opened using the boot lever. Wonder what it might be.
5- Number Plate and Brake (Right Side) Light not working.

Also, what would be the best remote locking system to be installed on this car? and approx. cost.
infotech58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 14:45   #605
Senior - BHPian

@infotech58,

There are several remote locking systems from Autocop, Minda and Xenos. Please use the search function and you shall find various threads on the same to help you decide. Its good to run in the car for a few weeks and then address all the issues that you face. Have fun.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 18:18   #606
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bro!!...reply in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
OHC Gurus,

Just picked up a Nov-2002 OHC Vtec with 57000 kms on ODO and going to observe the behavior for approx. two weeks before I head to a garage to get the things sorted out upto my satisfaction.
Please suggest a trustable garage in Thane area and, if possible, approx. cost for clutch (not through HASS).
Right now, I see the following problems with the car:
1- Clutch is hard. After driving a NHC for some time (which had a brand new clutch), moving to OHC Vtec, I can really feel the difference.
Autotech and oberoi are good, pm me for the numbers. The Clutck job should cost about 5-6Kapprox.
2- Driver Seat has some play (1 cm or so, may be some screw is loose).
Not a big job if its that.
3- Passanger Side door handle needs greecing.
Not a big job if its that.
4- Boot doesn't open using the key, however it does work when opened using the boot lever. Wonder what it might be.
Are you using a duplicate key?
5- Number Plate and Brake (Right Side) Light not working.
Milan subway
Also, what would be the best remote locking system to be installed on this car? and approx. cost.
2.5k approx.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 18:23   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Got the Front Suspension Changed New tyres & alloys put too 195/65/R14
The Loss in power problem resolved.( just healed automatically)

Thank you KSM aka Kaushik for you help, cheers to you Bro.
Anytime bro! hope she is doing fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Ok, now this is spooky but even I am facing this "loss of power" in my VTEC.
This happens usually within few minutes of starting and moving the car.

Steps:
1. start the car
2. Start driving the car
3. By the time I am in 3rd gear (this has nothgin to do with gear - that's my belief), but it usually takes that much amount of time.
4. The car start stalling. It is as if there is no petrol reaching the engine.
5. I press the clutch and rev, the engine revs.
6. release the clutch, and again the engine starts stopping.
7. Press the clucth, the engine becomes normal.
8. Do this 2-3 times and everything becomes fine.
9. doesn't repeat during the journey.

BTW my o2 sensor is not working.
But all this happens before the engine malfunction light comes on.

Curiously, this doesn't happen everytime.
The first step should be fixing the o2. If the problem still remains then an injector cleaning and fuel filter replacement is what you should start with.

Hope you are getting clean fuel btw.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 14:21   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Anytime bro! hope she is doing fine now.

The first step should be fixing the o2. If the problem still remains then an injector cleaning and fuel filter replacement is what you should start with.

Hope you are getting clean fuel btw.

Faced the Same problem - ECU remap Helps after completing the steps Mentioned By KSM.

Cheers !
ryan_wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 19:14   #609
Senior - BHPian

The stock ECU cannot be remapped.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 20:30   #610
Senior - BHPian

I guess he meant ECU Reset.
Old 11th June 2011, 16:52   #611
LNK
BHPian

What exactly is a "steering rack boot"? Apparently the one on my 1.5 is damaged, what are the consequences? I cant notice anything different as such. Also, how much will a replacement for the same cost?

Also, what's the cost of replacing the dampers? Both front and rear.
LNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 22:47   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
What exactly is a "steering rack boot"? Apparently the one on my 1.5 is damaged, what are the consequences? I cant notice anything different as such. Also, how much will a replacement for the same cost?
It is the rubber cover over the steering shaft. It expands and contracts when you turn the wheels. The main purpose of the boot is to prevent dust/dirt going into the steering rack assembly. It can be easily replaced by removing tie rods. If done by some experienced person you may save the alignment costs but would suggest you get that done anyway. Overall cost will be within Rs 200 (local garage).
427Cubes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 16:26   #613
Senior - BHPian

Can the Vtec headlight reflectors handle a 100/90W Philips Rally Bulbs with a cutout. Will it affect the glasses or will there be overheating. I am using this on my gypsy without any issues but not sure about the vtec.

And now the major pain i experienced during the weekend rains. There was water on the passenger side mats. It rained heavily over the night and the whole carpet is wet and soaking. I have stuffed a hell lot of news papers to soak up the water. Its leaking from somewhere behind the dashboard. My guess is maybe water seeping in from the wiper assy area.

Can the gurus help diagnose this issue.This is irritating. Please help.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:27   #614
Senior - BHPian

The bulbs should work fine. I am using the 130/100 philips rally with the roots harness and not facing any issues.

For the leak..open up the grill under the wiper and you will find a gutter drain passing right there. This gutter gets choked with leaves that get in from the grill and block the flow of the water. This results in leakage into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Can the Vtec headlight reflectors handle a 100/90W Philips Rally Bulbs with a cutout. Will it affect the glasses or will there be overheating. I am using this on my gypsy without any issues but not sure about the vtec.

And now the major pain i experienced during the weekend rains. There was water on the passenger side mats. It rained heavily over the night and the whole carpet is wet and soaking. I have stuffed a hell lot of news papers to soak up the water. Its leaking from somewhere behind the dashboard. My guess is maybe water seeping in from the wiper assy area.

Can the gurus help diagnose this issue.This is irritating. Please help.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 19:28   #615
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that Kaushik. I am bit relieved that its a known issue area. I was thinking maybe something might be drastically wrong. I shall get that done pronto and yes, my parking area is under a tree and all the cars get a daily dose of leaves and small twigs.

Cheers