Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th October 2011, 10:51   #706
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Hey ,
BTW how much are you paying for the paint job , is it an overcoat ?
also from where are you getting the grill done for how much ?
Ryan -
I'll call you up once I am ready for the suspension work; that should probably be after deewali. I'll send you my contact number in a PM.
I'm paying approx. 36000 for the paintjob. It is kind of an overcoat with bumpers and doors (and door trims) removed (rear bumper sockets are rusted to the cores and doors have some rust). My car has lots of scratches and dents. Standox Paint would be used. I
I am not getting a grill made; as of now, just the stock replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
For the Grill/trim/ORVM etc you should go back to your painter.
Oberoi is right next to my house and he is very good for all mechanical work and fitting your new lights.
Kaushik -
Thanks for your inputs. I'll head up to Milan Subway or Opera House today and source the parts I need to give to painter tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I got my front suspension done, rear wheel hub and bearings, servicing plus several other work. Total damage was 19k. Job done at Andheri east. Job is good but takes too long as the guy has lot of customers.

But i would suggest that since you are in your overhauling phase, try to get the suspension stiffened or even lowered if you want to as i at times get a scary feeling driving at high speeds on the vtec.

Desmosedici -
Thanks for your reply. I'll, in a week or so, figure out what work needs to be done in suspension and then will get in touch with you to get some more details. and Yes, I want to get my suspension stiffened, no lowering of suspension though. Did you get your car's suspension stiffened? if Yes, how much difference did it make?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 16:03   #707
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Hi Guys,
I recently picked up an used OHC 1.5 Exi 2003 model, done 77,000kms, FSH at Honda service every 5k kms.

Please share some information about competent and reliable mechanics in Trivandrum or Kollam where I can service/repair OHC.

My father had a 2001 OHC 1.3 Exi which was immaculately maintained at Honda service (including O2 sensor and new exhaust) for 8 yrs and 135,000kms. I would prefer to service/repair mine with a competent mechanic.
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 20:09   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post

Desmosedici -
Thanks for your reply. I'll, in a week or so, figure out what work needs to be done in suspension and then will get in touch with you to get some more details. and Yes, I want to get my suspension stiffened, no lowering of suspension though. Did you get your car's suspension stiffened? if Yes, how much difference did it make?
No, i have not stiffened or lowered my suspensions but intend to as cornering and drivng over the flyover bumps at speeds above 100 gives a wobbly kind of feeling and its scary as there were a few instances of the car going slightly out of control. Contact Pranavt (tbhp handle) for more info on this. He has done it.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:16   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post

Please share some information about competent and reliable mechanics in Trivandrum or Kollam where I can service/repair OHC.... I would prefer to service/repair mine with a competent mechanic.
'Travancore Restoration' is a great place to get all your OHC work done, I do mine there... Sanu and Shafeeq are chaps who formerly were with the AHSS who now run this place...
They are stationed near Loyola School. PM me if you want tel numbers and contact details.

cheers!
johnda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 14:04   #710
BHPian

Just Changed the Motor for the right side Power Window on my OHC

How Much - Rs 2300 for the part
now i gotta change the left side too , dam this motor is expensive.

Guys can anyone throw some light on What is Radiator Flush?
how does it help ? when should one do it ?

Thanks
ryan_wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 10:53   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
dam this motor is expensive.
Guys can anyone throw some light on What is Radiator Flush?
how does it help ? when should one do it ?
Thanks
Do you have a part number or model number for the motor?

And for the radiator flush, here is a link that should help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tor-flush.html (Which Radiator flush?)
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:52   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Guys, does anybody know the part number for the Thermostat. Im unable to find it at the spares shop here in Calcutta.
My radiator fan is constantly on whenever the ignition is 'on', even on cold starts.

You can try at shop called "United Sales Agency " at Ganesh Chandra Avenue, ( next to the petrol Pump or close to ICICI BANK of RN Mukherjee Road) . I buy many products for my VTEC from the shop. They are atleast genuine about what they sell.

Can anyone help me to source a pair of VTEC silencer chrome tip.. I am unable to source it anywhere in Kolkata! Sounds funny but the car somewhat looks odd without it, especially when you know it should be there..

Last edited by bblost : 28th October 2011 at 15:44. Reason: back 2 back posts. Thanks.
dip27in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 12:35   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Do you have a part number or model number for the motor?

And for the radiator flush, here is a link that should help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tor-flush.html (Which Radiator flush?)
Hey thanks for the link,

Got some bad news , the Motor which cost 2k plus was not the original one , so the auto up and auto down mechanism for the power window will not work. so when you buy it just confirm that it does.

cheers !
ryan_wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 18:17   #714
BHPian

Hey guys, i know that there has been a lot of discussion about the O2 sensor on the thread. The OEM one for the old honda city is from Denso.
What other brands are available in the market?
Has anyone used O2 sensors from BOSCH and how are they?
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 14:19   #715
BHPian

Fellas
I need to change front shocks of my OHC 1.5 Type-II car, a reliable spare dealer told me that he will get me TRW shocks as presently Honda is laos using them as OE (which earlier was Munjal Showa). Same he told for lower arms.
Is it true guys?
Please let me know as I have get it in a day or 2.
Thanks!
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 00:08   #716
Senior - BHPian

I got my front suspension done up recently except the shocks and my mech told me that OE spares are very costly and similar quality stuff available in the market also is good. The Khat Khat sound i used to get is gone now. I cannot comment on any particular brand as i dont know what has gone into my car.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 00:29   #717
BHPian

I have replaced my front suspension (Shocks, Lower arms, Tied rod+ends)
BUT I am still having tight steering with kat/kat sounds on turning at low speed...

Can anybody pleeeez put some light on it? WHY am I still having that irritating sound and that tightness? Can shocker kit be making that kat/kat sound?

How much a steering oil pump will cost???
Old 15th November 2011, 12:30   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
BUT I am still having tight steering with kat/kat sounds on turning at low speed...
Can anybody pleeeez put some light on it? WHY am I still having that irritating sound and that tightness? Can shocker kit be making that kat/kat sound?
May be the issue is with Drive shaft. Kindly check it. The OE replacement is around 11K at the After Sales Service center. This quote is for both front right and left drive shaft's.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:06   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I have replaced my front suspension (Shocks, Lower arms, Tied rod+ends)

How much a steering oil pump will cost???
Probably the steering rack needs adjustment or replacement. There is damper which dampens the rack movement. I had to replace mine after a similar issue.

Did the workshop touched the steering column? In case they did, then the steering column bush might have been replaced which is resulting in the tightness.
dip27in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:23   #720
BHPian

Thanks fellas for the reply
Can you please tell me what does steering column bush look like?