Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th April 2012, 21:42   #841
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Ryan, from where did u get the filter job done. Can you share pics and also the service experience.
Desmosedici is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:12   #842
BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
From Juhu , a know mechanic of mine got and fixed it for me . but no auto -up .
Rs900 for parts , i will ask him and let you know on friday.
Cheers
ryan - did you get a chance to speak with your mechanic yet?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 15:58   #843
BHPian

in my OHC, driver side window winder mechanism has developed a problem - the glass winds up only to 95%, remaining 5% leaves a small gap (1 cm) on the top. looks like one of the teeth of the winder has worn out. any idea how to get this fixed? or, is winder mechanism (without motor) available somewhere in mumbai?
Old 12th May 2012, 13:24   #844
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hey Desmo,
They are available with Sainath (Khar) - expensive !!!!!
4k for a set , last i saw they were only 2 sets left.

My Wiper motor conked off , a mechanic in juhu said a denso motor will cost around 2500 while another motor (second hand ) for 1700 with 6 months guarantee.
Is this what they cost generally ?

Cheers
Ryan
i recently got my wiper motor reconditioned. cost me Rs1000. it was my sheer negligence that spoilt the motor. the wiper arms are connected to the motor with a rod ( which is not visible outside ). this rod had jammed. when the wipers started working slowly - i should i have got the hint, but kept using them and finally the motor coils and armature got burnt out. i got the wipers fixed and now the chennai heat is blazing without any sign of rains !
but then, the OHC is now for sale. so i guess doesnt matter
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 11:08   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Ryan, from where did u get the filter job done. Can you share pics and also the service experience.

The Filter Was Bought at Sainath , was fixed by Automech.

So i have driven the car without the intake but with the FFE for about a year.
YES i have found a good difference in how the car behaves now, lot of power between 1.5 to 2.5 rpm range,post 2.5 it fly's to the redline , not like before where this would take some time. the car drives Smooth !

Don't work to well in the heat ,evening is the time.

PICS
Attached Images

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 14th May 2012 at 11:11.
ryan_wheelz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 18:20   #846
BHPian

I'm facing this rusting problem in the car ,below is a pic highlighting the spot in red & yellow circles , is there some kind of DIY treatment i can do , Can some application from a hardware store help ?

Monsoon is early this year ,would like to be fully prepared.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_0726.jpg  

ryan_wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 18:25   #847
BHPian

Also got this Mugen Badge today Rs 250 , in Khar (w), just thought i'd share ,
it wasn't put correctly, will have to place it properly.
Attached Images

ryan_wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 19:29   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz
I'm facing this rusting problem in the car ,below is a pic highlighting the spot in red & yellow circles , is there some kind of DIY treatment i can do , Can some application from a hardware store help ?

I've today only ordered some stuff from tuf-kote . they have certain like rust converter, cavity wax , and wax sealant. awaiting delivery as order has been placed today itself. will update you once done. By the way the areas are similar to what even I've problem also some area below the door. i have earlier used their rat repellent and I'm happy with the results of the same.
saurabhkum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 20:09   #849
BANNED

hi,

The rust damage to your car seems to be be quite extensive, i would suggest you seek professional help and get the affected areas treated by a quality rust preventive.

DIY may only be possible in visible areas, there are a lot of hidden cavities and area where rusting may be much more severe and will not be visible until opened

Quote:

dinitrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 10:15   #850

There is a slight problem with my Honda city 1.5 Type Z and the problem suggest me to change the entire engine hood of my car

Any one knows a place in Mumbai as to where I can get a used hood?
and I would not bother buying a new one from Honda

I will post car pics today evening.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 14:10   #851
BHPian

Quote:

is the rust localized to only this area? how do the spare wheel area, and bottom of rear doors look – those are the most rust prone areas in OHC.
Old 17th May 2012, 08:41   #852

Guys, here is what happened to my car day before yesterday. The accident happened at a slow speed of 20 kmph on a slope

I need to change the bonet and need sugessions as to where I can get it done or a good place to buy used car body parts.

http://i.imgur.com/9RtRH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lwIBP.jpg
Old 17th May 2012, 19:57   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
in my OHC, driver side window winder mechanism has developed a problem - the glass winds up only to 95%, remaining 5% leaves a small gap (1 cm) on the top. looks like one of the teeth of the winder has worn out. any idea how to get this fixed? or, is winder mechanism (without motor) available somewhere in mumbai?
I had an issue with my OHC driver side window. It was too slow and jerked while closing and opening and later it stopped working. I personally like to tinker with things, so I took my car to a friends company where I had all the tools at my disposal.

I opened the complete driver side door right upto opening the motor mechanism and servicing it myself. It turned out that the copper plate contacter (brush) had been broken and it was causing a problem for electricity transfer to the rotor of the motor. The window powering mechanism is nothing complicated and consist of a power house which consist of a dc motor equipped with a worm gear mechanism which spins the window lifting mechanism.
Your point stating that the gear teeth must have worn out is wrong since they won`t wear out even in 12 years with everyday use since I have seen the ones in my OHC. Your problem is mostly about
1] the tracks that the window glass slides in or
2] the alignment of the mechanism which can be due to some bolts getting loose.
3] The window track is causing too much friction.

An easy solution before you open up the car is to add some oil into the guide tracks of the window. This will smooth out any friction issues and there is a possibility that it might close fully.

Problematic areas :-
1] There are snap fittings in the plastic parts.
2] You need to be careful with the white glue in side the door pannel..lol
3] You need to remove wiring connectors while opening the door.

I should have taken pictures when I did this job since it would have helped a lot who face similar issues.
Old 17th May 2012, 21:27   #854

Hi GTO,

I came across your OHC pics and wow! I am impressed with the color and the alloys. Later I did end up on the sad end of your car when sold to Avinash and it silenced me for a while.
I own an OHC and am willing to strip it down completely and give it an intensive remake. I will be starting a thread on the complete remake of my OHC.
I want to paint my car in the exact color that your OHC had and I want to buy those exact alloys that you had on yours but I won`t go for 16" since my travel road is mostly filled with pot holes. You sais those are 205/45 Yokohamas on 16" wheels, but what make and product code did the alloys have? & what is the exact color and where to buy paint only since I will be painting it myself in a clean room.
Thanks and awaiting your reply
Old 18th May 2012, 00:53   #855
Senior - BHPian

Ive got a 2001 honda city 1.5 exi,i shall upload the pictures of the car soon.I had bought the car from carwale.(individual owner) in 2009.I have spent a little bit on doing up the car from time to time.Heres a comprehensive list of the stuff done to my City in mumbai along with the costs involved (in INR)
(Being a Bawa..i have maintained the list right from the time i bought the car uptill now and will still continue).
1)underdash Led Strip lighting-700 (shall upload a pic soon showing the effect)

2)The wiper arm link - 650+200(labour).
3)195/60/14 yokohama es100 @59035kms
4)new O2 sensor @61782kms-3800 (not the original but has worked fine till now)
5)oil gasket @65500kms-350+200(labour)
6)bosch brake pads @68562kms - 12500
disc skimming- 350
clutch cable-480+150(labour)
speedo cable-475
7)valve cover seal @70456 -450+100(labour)
oil filter-200
fuel filter-325
8)front passenger window motor-local make-2000
9)alternator fan belt -250
power steering fan belt-275
ac fan belt-275(labour for all above)

apparently all 3 belts have to be changed incase one gets damaged or worn out.
Attached Images

danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote