Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th May 2012, 01:12   #856
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Sometime in march, i had my rear brake liners changed (675Rs) along with the cylinder (800Rs).The original cylinder is Nissin.The new cylinder i have put is of some other make.I have forgotten the name.
Now the story before this work was done.

While braking at low speeds, a loud noise used to come from the rear.I ignored this and thought it was due to some kind of rust formation in the braking unit.
This kept happening and the noise kept increasing.Now when i finally took it to the mechanic. They opened up the brake unit (images attached). on close observation they noticed that the cylinder of both rear brakes was worn out and leaking.The circle in the blue is the cylinder.The circle in the red is my ?.i was wondering what those are.

Anyway so now my braking problem is solved.
The other Major problem is the handbrake.The mechanics tightened the cable.
serviced the rear brakes etc.But the car does not stay on a slope with the hand brake engaged.In the beggining it did.but then it gave in after a few days.
I have not changed the handbrake cables.Is that the problem?
Need some help here on the handbrake issue.
If anyone is facing similar issued do advice on this topic.
Attached Images

danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 01:18   #857
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
is the rust localized to only this area? how do the spare wheel area, and bottom of rear doors look – those are the most rust prone areas in OHC.
I too am facing the same problem.From the research i have done online is that you could buy an antirust spray can/bottle from the market.That will not stop the rust but it will protect it or slowe the rusting process.

Infact I had rust issues on the rear of the car.Precisely the area you see where the rear glass ends.You can see that area when you open the dickey.
In the rains water used to seep into the dickey area.
I did a quick but tacky DIY.i applied car patch and a mseal to that area.
And that did solve the problem.Its been through two monsoons and no leakage !
Old 18th May 2012, 01:46   #858
Senior - BHPian

Since the Monsoons are nearing by I wish to share a quick tip or a solution that OHC owners are facing..Leakage during heavy showers from under the dash near right foot.
In very heavy rains i have this issue.Its quite Irritating and troublesome because the carpet tends to stay wet during the entire season.
Now the main reason why i haven't been able to pinpoint the leakage since the time i bought the car in 2009 is that i thought that my car would have to go through the tedious procedure of removing part of the dash etc etc.
But then..when i was servicing my wiper motor recently.this is what happened..
On opening the wiper cover panel..(marked in the images)(sorry for the bad quality)..i noticed a lot of dried leaves,dust,dirt etc had managed to get lodged under the panel.
Now on the extreme driver a pillar side.We removed literally layers and layers of dust and dirt.There is a drain hole there in which the water is supposed to drain out.That was blocked.The collection of dirt was so much that it could fill up a 500ml pepsi bottle.
After having done that..the mechanic and i poured a bucket full of water in that very spot..and finally not a drop inside the cabin.

Now i hope that was the only issue.We will just have to wait for the rains to see how effective that solutiong was.
So if any of You'll are facing a similar issue of leakage, you could try that.

It takes around an hour and a half to get the job done.
Attached Images

Old 18th May 2012, 01:56   #859
Senior - BHPian

A pic of the under dash lighting.This pic is taken during the day and even then the led is quite bright.
Has a separate master.On opening all four doors and the dickey the light comes on.Once the doors are shut the light goes off.But can be switched on from the master switch.
You get two types of led strips..the cheaper one which can cost around 100Rs for a meter and the more expensive one which is waterproof which i had listed earlier.In spite of the leakage i had it still is working.
In the image on the drivers side you can see the strip..thats because the double sided tape had come off.But normally the strips cannot be seen.
I must say this does look quite nice and is quite useful to in the dark.
normally the more expensive cars have it.
The color/hue which i have put is the warm yellow.It is very hard to find.
yes you do get blue,amber,red etc easily but i did not like them.
Its a 15 minute job for installation.
Attached Images

Old 18th May 2012, 09:21   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
6)bosch brake pads @68562kms - 12500
is it a typo? Bosch brake pads @ 12500?

Quote:
Now on the extreme driver a pillar side.We removed literally layers and layers of dust and dirt.There is a drain hole there in which the water is supposed to drain out.That was blocked.The collection of dirt was so much that it could fill up a 500ml pepsi bottle.
After having done that..the mechanic and i poured a bucket full of water in that very spot..and finally not a drop inside the cabin.
i got the wiper control arm changed on my OHC last year and cleaned up hell lot of deposits from under there, and yes, i noticed too - they block the way for drainage.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:04   #861
Senior - BHPian

I had water in the passenger side last year and that was due to a gap between the windscreen and the body. Got that rectified last year. The leaves near the wiper area was sorted when i got my windscreen changed a few months back.

There is one more area where the leaves get collected. Its near the front wheel well. A lot of leaves get collected here. Would advise to check that area as well before monsoon.

Also keep a can of WD40 handy. I generally spray some on the door handles, wiper motor area during monsoons.

@danlalan

Nice lights. I couldnt get it hence i asked for white ones but the idiotic guys put in the blue one. Now my dad liked the blue one so i didnt change.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 20:10   #862
BHPian

Quote:
The other Major problem is the handbrake.The mechanics tightened the cable.
serviced the rear brakes etc.But the car does not stay on a slope with the hand brake engaged.In the beggining it did.but then it gave in after a few days.
I have not changed the handbrake cables.Is that the problem?
Need some help here on the handbrake issue.
If anyone is facing similar issued do advice on this topic.
The OHC handbrake is a major disappointment. I have tried changing the cable and got it adjusted/tightened several times but it becomes loose very very soon.
Though I don't have trouble with it not working on slopes. Basically rather than it working properly on 2-3 clicks it goes all the way up to 6-7 clicks to be working properly, sometimes I fear breaking the poor handbrake lever!

Not sure how does one go about getting this issue resolved once and for all, atleast for a significant time frame.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 22:42   #863
Senior - BHPian

[quote=infotech58;2780778]is it a typo? Bosch brake pads @ 12500?

sorry that was a typing error..it costed me 1250/-.
Old 18th May 2012, 22:56   #864
Senior - BHPian

I just wanted to compare on a full tank of fuel(standard petrol) in the OHC how many kms have you'll done.
This is the best i have achieved from my car in the driving condition as stated below:-

Gear shifts below 2500rpm.
Ac switched on 75% of the time.
Traffic conditions-moderate to heavy at times.
Locality- City.
Fuel quantity-38.52 litres (i know this doesnt count as full tank but this is what i had filled)
Distance Covered-476kms.(after reaching this, i filled her up again)

Do share your experience or achievements.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:01   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel quantity-38.52 litres (i know this doesnt count as full tank but this is what i had filled)
Distance Covered-476kms.
Well that's a fine figure, for car that old and running 75% on AC on.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 13:26   #866
BHPian

Hi after recent service of my ohc vtec the idling rpm has come down to around 500. This is creating problem in cold start as engine shuts down if throttle is not pressed. even when engine is warn the idle rpm is around 500 but car doesn't stops. also the ac compressor cuts out at idling as rpm is around 500. Rest all things like Pick up and fuel efficiency is the same. any idea as what happened? The injectors were cleaned during service. The car is fitted with k&n cold air intake. Seniors please help as to how to get the idle rpm back. I've driven approx more than 1000 kms after service but problem is still there. Last thing I've not yet disconnected battery to reset the ecu after the service, will that help? Request help.
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 09:38   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Distance Covered-476kms.(after reaching this, i filled her up again)
Do share your experience or achievements.
i refill every Friday and typically do 310 Kms (+/-10 Kms) in approx. 25 Litre of petrol till next Friday.
gearshifts below 2500 RPM, 80% AC, and typical driving in light traffic (Eastern Express Way and JVLR).
make 10% of total distance to bumper to bumper traffic and the average comes down to 10.XX.

Last edited by infotech58 : 20th May 2012 at 09:42.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:43   #868
Senior - BHPian

I fill up 1000 bucks of petrol everytime i fill, thats around 14.xx litres. I reset my trip meter every i refill. I wait to refill till the time the needle touches the last mark on the fuel gauge. My daily driving is 25kms from Goregaon West till L&T and back via Aarey Colony with light traffic. I get 10 - 11 kmpl on an average with normal driving with AC. On highways, i have got 14kmpl.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 11:26   #869
BANNED

I have the ohc type 2.On one sunday i decided to a DIY cleaning of the car.This included everything from waxing the car to cleaning the carpet.When i was at the stage of cleaning the carpet i decided to remove the front seats completely so that cleaning the carpet would become more intensive and thorough.
On removing the seats i realised underneath each seat there is some kind of pocket which is framed in metal.
Now i dont know whether this is for a holder while fixing the seats in the factory/workshops or if it is for storage under the seat.
I now use it for storing my headunit panel or my secondary mobile phone or even my wallet.i know it will be safe there.
Only problem is you have to access it when your out of the car.Or if your sitting in the opposite seat.
Thats like a secret revealed.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 00:44   #870
BANNED

One of the wierd problems i am facing occassionally,whether winter,summers or rainy season.This is what happens.I start the car.Drive for say around 16kms with the ac on.The ac switch is on level 1 or sometimes level 2.The circulation Switch or slider is off/closed.
Then sometimes for some reasons for eg.Nakabandhi,or if there are cops i switch ac off..by pressing the main ac button and then turning of the fan switch to the off level.
This all done while the car is still in motion.And immediately after maybe 3minutes i switch the ac back on and then the increase the fan switch lvl to 2.
Now what happens is there are white smoke,fog,vapours that come out from the vents.
Does not smell like burning smell.I don't cough.it doesn't affect my throat.
It just comes for a few seconds and then goes.
I wonder what it is.Does not happen everytime.Happens once in a blue moon.Normally in the mornings at around 10:15am or afternoons.My speeds when that happens is approximately 45kph.
Does any one face a similar problem.Inputs would be highly appreciated.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote