Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th April 2009, 18:21   #76
BHPian

Give Magnum a try, they are good!!

I gave my car over there, the experience was good!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 19:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, when would the clicking/scraping sound come?
It comes only when the A/C compressor clutch is engaged. So even if you switch on the A/C, the sound will come initially but when the clutch auto-disengages, it goes away.

And if you run with the A/C off, it shouldn't come at all.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:20   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can the compressor oil be put by myself or i need to take it to the AC guy?

Yes, the OHC has a Denso compressor and my AC guy said the same thing as you and quoted half the price at 18,000. I just don't feel like spending 18K on a car which i plan to sell of within a year or so.
The compressor oil can be put in by the AC guy himself. It's a very thin oil, like our airotor lubricant. Let him put in the oil and see if things improve.

I know - shelling out 18k hurts. But that's better than 35k. Try to get a hold of a refurbished Subros or Sanden compressor from a second-hand market - should be for 4-5k, and good for a year at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How much did you pay for the idler pulley? How to test that it has been spoilt?
By how much percentage would you say your vibrations have gone down?
Checking the pulley and clutch is another option, but a faulty pulley usually damages the belt too, and the vibrations increase, not disappear, when revs go up.

BTW, is there any loss in cooling efficiency in your AC yet?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:50   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...right side, under the hood
I vaguely recall that it was diagnosed related to the weak ac compressor. Somehow i've learnt to live with it most of the times. But at times it gets a bit annoying.
Have you checked for power steering pump noise? Feel with your fingertip the pressure hose leading away from the pump, and the scratching/rattling will translate into a vibration in the hose.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The compressor oil can be put in by the AC guy himself. It's a very thin oil, like our airotor lubricant. Let him put in the oil and see if things improve.
Will try that.

Quote:
Checking the pulley and clutch is another option, but a faulty pulley usually damages the belt too, and the vibrations increase, not disappear, when revs go up.
Then i guess this is not the problem since the vibrations disappear as the the revs cross 1200 rpm.

Quote:
BTW, is there any loss in cooling efficiency in your AC yet?
Nope, no loss at all in cooling efficiency at all.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:39   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the Vtec's power steering rack is known to develop a leak after 6 - 7 years of use. You could either repair or replace it. More details on repair options here (REPORT with PICS: Refurbishing my OHC Vtec. And some mild performance mods!).

BTW, my original O2 sensor is still working alright.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 10:26   #82
BHPian

I own 1.5 Exi AT 1998 model (Honda City). It has done 100,000 Km. One problem i faced was that my car is very slow in overtaking can this be improved? can i gain more power without disturbing the engine?
Is it advisable to enlarge trottle body on AT.

My current setup
FFE from Automech
K&N Stock Replacement Filter
Tri Phase
Spit fire wire
Iradium Spark Plugs
Strut braces

Future Mods
CAI
Porting Polishing
dhananjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 14:30   #83
BHPian

I got an extensive service of my OHC done about 3-4 months back. The throttle body was also cleaned with injectors + the works.

I noticed that whenever I press the accelerator harder than normal, the engine has started knocking. It's fine if I drive with a light/normal foot but as soon as it's depressed a wee bit extra, the knocking starts. No loss in power though.

I think it's to do with the throttle body cleaned and the BIG UGLY HPMS WIREMESH filter sucking in a lot of air. Can that be possible? What else can I check for?
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 20:32   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
the knocking starts. No loss in power though.

HPMS WIREMESH filter sucking in a lot of air. Can that be possible? What else can I check for?
Seems odd - how do you have an engine knock without loss of power?

Sucking in a lot of air will never make an engine knock.

Can you try to explain in little more detail the knocking that happens? Do you still have that knocking if you downshift? Are you lugging your engine?
Old 19th April 2009, 12:39   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I think it's to do with the throttle body cleaned and the BIG UGLY HPMS WIREMESH filter sucking in a lot of air. Can that be possible?...
Hey Ankitahuja,

I suggest you try this procedure and see if it solves your problem : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...resetting.html (Basic ECM Resetting)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 00:06   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Seems odd - how do you have an engine knock without loss of power?

Sucking in a lot of air will never make an engine knock.

Can you try to explain in little more detail the knocking that happens? Do you still have that knocking if you downshift? Are you lugging your engine?
I know it's a bit odd. The engine would just give out a lot of cluttering sound, referred to as engine knocking. Believe it or not, I feel absolutely no loss in power output.

It does not matter if I downshift, the knocking is heard when the gas pedal is depressed a bit more than normal (moderate to heavy foot). This remains on all gears except the 1st.

Sorry, but what does "lugging the engine" refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey Ankitahuja,

I suggest you try this procedure and see if it solves your problem : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...resetting.html (Basic ECM Resetting)

cya
R
The ECU under went a hard reset (with the help of an OBC scanner). So I'm not sure if resetting it again can resolve this issue. I did reset it again by disconnecting the -ve terminal of the battery, but this issue remains.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 20th April 2009 at 00:08.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 08:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Lugging the engine is basically driving the car in a gear at an RPM that is too low for that gear. You get this vibrating feeling from the engine and all round "Please shift down, for the love of all things automotive!" noise from the car.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 10:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It does not matter if I downshift, the knocking is heard when the gas pedal is depressed a bit more than normal (moderate to heavy foot). This remains on all gears except the 1st.
Could it be a loose joint or clamp in the exhaust somewhere?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:34   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
Hi, I just bought a 2003 Honda City VTEC Type II after selling off my 2001 Honda City 1.3 EXI. I want to more about the car. So I put up a small set of questions which I hope type II VTEC owners would answer.

1.Max speed you have achieved.
2.Fuel efficiency - city, highway, overall.
3.Problem prone areas of the car.
Ok, Silly question here guys. How do I know if my 2001 March OHC ( Type-II) 4AT has a VTEC engine or not?
His Highness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:45   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Highness View Post
Ok, Silly question here guys. How do I know if my 2001 March OHC ( Type-II) 4AT has a VTEC engine or not?
it dosent. its a normal 1.5.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote