Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th June 2012, 20:36   #916
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Thanks. But i have no clue how good the Depo brand is n how to tell if they are fake or not.
Depo is possibly the only decent second choice to Stanley. They are well made and fit and finish is not a problem at all.

I must warn you if you are using higher wattage Halogens (100/90 or 130/100 etc) then Depo's main focos points will heat up and deform a little bit but will not cause any issues with the lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
what to check? what's the cost of a new speedo cable?
Not very expensive, around 200-300 for a good quality one. I think I bought mine for 250!
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 21:05   #917
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Its so great to see a living, thriving OHC Vtec thread. That one exists 9 years after the car was launched is a testament to the car itself.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome, especially from the guys who have had loong relationships with these cars.
Congrats, it indeed is a great car. You can contact Automech Exhausts in Mumbai. They do Intakes and Exhausts plus the strut braces etc. I havent been to them but also never heard anything negative about them. They are in our directory section. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 23:42   #918
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Guys, could someone please upload the complete manual for the OHC? My model is a 1.3 Exi Type II. Been looking for a copy of the original manual but cant seem to get any online.

Thanks in advance.
These are a few pics of the 1.5 exi owners manual.Apart from the engine specs i think it should be the same for the 1.3exi.I did not have scanned copies hence these pics.I don't have the book with me anymore.It wasn't mine.These should be readable.
The other pages were inconsequential and were mostly about the music system.
Attached Files
File Type: rar raycers honda.rar (890.8 KB, 254 views)
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 13:05   #919
Senior - BHPian

I had recently got my vtec serviced by Select Auto Garage, just the basic servicing. During the service, they notcied some radiator leak and i asked them to plug it with mseal. The car was running fine before service. I have hardly driven a 100 kms after service. Yesterday after a week of just being parked, i drove the car to office and back (approx 30 kms) without any issues. Today while coming via Aarey, on an uphill climb the car was in 2nd gear and didnt get power so i engaged first and pulled up and i noticed some burning smell. After reaching powai, i could hear some khat khat noise coming from the front. It went away withing few seconds and came back again and went away. The power was very low. I parked the car in office and opened the bonnet and could feel a lot of heat and burning smell. i could see some light red streaks on the engine cover (where Vtec in written) and some coolant outside.

I am worried what might be the issue and that too after such a comprehensive service. Gurus, Please help.

What might have gone loose. Is the smell due to the radiator leak. Is there any other competent garage near Goregaon that i can go to as i dont want to again goto select auto all the way.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:41   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I parked the car in office and opened the bonnet and could feel a lot of heat and burning smell. i could see some light red streaks on the engine cover (where Vtec in written) and some coolant outside.

I am worried what might be the issue and that too after such a comprehensive service. Gurus, Please help.
Check again now that the splashes must have dried; does it look like rust water?

It's the rust build up in the radiator. Check the thermostat. All hoses and leaks in radiator and I suggest you flush the complete cooling system.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:33   #921
Senior - BHPian

I went to my office basement, started the car and let it idle, switched on AC. No Issues. Just moved it a few metres here and there within the basement and no issues. Opened the bonnet, could still feel the smell and slight heat in just 5 mins of the engine being switched on. Hope its nothing major.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:41   #922
Senior - BHPian

Attaching pic of engine bay
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-20120612143.jpg  

Old 12th June 2012, 20:30   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching pic of engine bay
Looks like what I suspected. Please check what you see in the coolant bottle?

I had a similar issue when the thermostat was stuck. Just needed to be opened and cleaned and re-fitted. All sorted then!
Later I did get the complete radiator flushed etc. as my coolant bottle was filled with red rusty water all the time.

If anyone can confirm, I would like to know whether is there some kind of pressure valve which will release pressure build up and spray hot water or steam in the engine bay in case there is a cooling system malfunction?
Old 12th June 2012, 20:43   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Looks like what I suspected. Please check what you see in the coolant bottle?

I had a similar issue when the thermostat was stuck. Just needed to be opened and cleaned and re-fitted. All sorted then!
Later I did get the complete radiator flushed etc. as my coolant bottle was filled with red rusty water all the time.

If anyone can confirm, I would like to know whether is there some kind of pressure valve which will release pressure build up and spray hot water or steam in the engine bay in case there is a cooling system malfunction?
Thanks Ankit. I will check the coolant bottle. The thermostat i guess is working fine as i can hear it go on and off when the AC is switched on but i shall check. Could you help me on how to locate it.

The radiator was emptied during service and refilled to check for the leaks so that shouldve cleaned some impurities i think. I think best would be to get the radiator out and get the leak welded.

I was speaking with KSM-Vtec and he mentioned that there is a sensor in the throttle body and while cleaning the TB, it could have not been properly set. Will have to check that too now. This service is now seeming like an headache.
Old 12th June 2012, 21:05   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ankit. I will check the coolant bottle. The thermostat i guess is working fine as i can hear it go on and off when the AC is switched on but i shall check. Could you help me on how to locate it.

The radiator was emptied during service and refilled to check for the leaks so that shouldve cleaned some impurities i think. I think best would be to get the radiator out and get the leak welded.

I was speaking with KSM-Vtec and he mentioned that there is a sensor in the throttle body and while cleaning the TB, it could have not been properly set. Will have to check that too now. This service is now seeming like an headache.
No problem!

I was not referring to the A/C thermostat but the one that decides the radiator fan to go on and off. When I had the issue, it was with the A/C off too. Sorry don't know how to point to it exactly.

A sensor (IAC/TP/MAP) in the TB should not be the reason for this particular problem you are facing. That's more to do with how the throttle and rpm is behaving.

At this age and stage a car can ask for quite a lot of attention but attend to it all in one go, and it will be better than attending to it in parts. That's my experience from owning an OHC for 14+ years.
Old 12th June 2012, 21:47   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja

No problem!

I was not referring to the A/C thermostat but the one that decides the radiator fan to go on and off. When I had the issue, it was with the A/C off too. Sorry don't know how to point to it exactly.

A sensor (IAC/TP/MAP) in the TB should not be the reason for this particular problem you are facing. That's more to do with how the throttle and rpm is behaving.

At this age and stage a car can ask for quite a lot of attention but attend to it all in one go, and it will be better than attending to it in parts. That's my experience from owning an OHC for 14+ years.
You are right ankit...this is not a sensor problem. The power loss pointed me there but this is for sure a cooling system issue.

Are you referring to the water pump ankit?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 21:56   #927
BHPian

No not the water pump, Kaushik.
I was told the thermostat was clogged and it was cleaned up to rectify the issue.

Are you aware of the red rusty spray both Desmosedici and I are referring to?

I will try posting pictures of that tomorrow as well.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 22:10   #928
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ankit and Kaushik. Let me see if the drive home is ok. I am also worried about the Khat Khat sound that came from the front. Not sure what that could possibly be.
Old 12th June 2012, 23:27   #929
BHPian

Is there any good mechanic or repair guys that do OHC's well, that anyone knows of or can vouch for?? Perhaps that would help Desmosedici.

I could also do with a thorough checkup of my engines performance and clutch condition. I've been getting a sticky first gear that's quite notchy.. But eases after the car has warmed up and the clutch has been pumped a while. Also get a jerky shift when easing off the clutch on up-shifting from 1-2 n 2-3.

Looks like we could all use some expert checkup on our OHC's
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 08:59   #930
BHPian

Hey Guys! i had posted this query sometime back but i havent heard back from anyone.. here's what the issue is.. please help! "This is a little off topic but i desperately need help! I recently got my OHC's steering rack and shaft replaced. now at slow speeds i can feel the front wheels wobble.It feels as if the car shakes as slow speeds. The steering is still stiff and wouldn't return. I got the alignment and wheel balancing done but no issues found. The rims and tires are in a good shape as well. The only issue we found was with the rear suspension's linkage rod. It was slightly twisted. We got that taken care of but i still feel the car shaking....Please advice!"
LovemyOHC is offline   Reply With Quote