Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 09:48   #946
BHPian
 
prateek_ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I can't be very sure but it could be an issue with the ignition coil and/or the spark plugs. I had a similar issue in my Swift that was resolved by replacing the ignition coil and installing new spark plugs (regular, not iridium ones).
I have a Swift VXi 2006. I may be having the same symptoms described by you. With or without the AC switched on, the engine has a jerk, before surging forward. Plus while accelerating at a constant speed there is a sudden power drop before regaining composure. Do you think it is a fried ignition coil? The spark plugs have been changed(regular ones) 50kms back.

But what are the symptoms of a defective Ignition Coil? AFAIK, there should be issues cranking up the engine in case the ignition coil is fried.
prateek_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 09:57   #947
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

spent some 30 minutes trying to locate the OBD II port on OHC this morning but could not find it.

there is only one parrot green port cover (wires plugged into this and not going anywhere) but this is not OBD II.

photo of parrot green cover, and OBD II scanner pins.

please help.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-green-port.jpg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-obd-.jpg  

infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:06   #948
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 691
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I have a Swift VXi 2006. I may be having the same symptoms described by you. With or without the AC switched on, the engine has a jerk, before surging forward. Plus while accelerating at a constant speed there is a sudden power drop before regaining composure. Do you think it is a fried ignition coil? The spark plugs have been changed(regular ones) 50kms back.

But what are the symptoms of a defective Ignition Coil? AFAIK, there should be issues cranking up the engine in case the ignition coil is fried.
If the ignition coil has totally gone kaput, the car will obviously not start at all. The jerkiness you experienced during acceleration could be due to ignition coil not providing adequate current consistently to the spark plugs. Every time the current drops, you experience the drop in power. This is my understanding based on some online research. It is better to have the coil checked or replaced. It does not cost much.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 14th June 2012 at 10:10.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:11   #949
BHPian
 
prateek_ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 5 Times
Smile Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
If the ignition coil has totally gone kaput, the car will obviously not start at all. The jerkiness you experienced during acceleration could be due to ignition coil not providing adequate current consistently to the spark plugs. Every time the current drops, you experience the drop in power. This is my understanding based on some online research. It is better to have the coil checked or replaced. It does not cost much.
I am going to do that today in the afternoon!
Another question that I had was, could the behaviour, in any way, be related to any of the belts in the engine bay?
Thanks and would keep you posted on the develepments,
prateek_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:17   #950
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
there is only one parrot green port cover (wires plugged into this and not going anywhere) but this is not OBD II..
Did you check what was on the other side of this port?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:19   #951
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 691
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I am going to do that today in the afternoon!
Another question that I had was, could the behaviour, in any way, be related to any of the belts in the engine bay?
Thanks and would keep you posted on the develepments,
Yes, you can have the belts checked before you go for an ignition coil change. You will hear a distinct noise if the timing belts have slackened or going bad. How many kms has your car done? If you are experiencing this sluggishness in the lower gears (1/2/3), it might be more of an ignition coil issue as your spark plugs were recently changed.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 14th June 2012 at 10:21.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:22   #952
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Did you check what was on the other side of this port?
other side does not go anywhere. two plugs are just plugged into this green rubber cover and the cover is just a cover - does not have any connectors or likes.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:56   #953
BHPian
 
prateek_ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 5 Times
Unhappy Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Yes, you can have the belts checked before you go for an ignition coil change. You will hear a distinct noise if the timing belts have slackened or going bad. How many kms has your car done? If you are experiencing this sluggishness in the lower gears (1/2/3), it might be more of an ignition coil issue as your spark plugs were recently changed.
The car has done 40k. And yes sometimes I do get a noise from the engine bay, which is, oddly when the engine has been gunned and warm. it is like a mild krrrrr krrrrr krrrrr. The sound you would get if there was a jammed bearing. The noise is very mild and can be heard only in very silent places, like a parking lot. But when starting the engine when its cold, there are no sounds.
prateek_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 11:58   #954
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 209
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Has anyone here driven a car of the same class and felt its better than the OHC.
I feel nothing comes close.It just brings a big wide grin to your face.Even in the looks department.The OHC still Looks great amongst the vernas,anhc,Ventos.
All these new ones are like wannabe sedans.
The OHC is a Legend.And will soon get a cult status.
Exactly. The smoothness and the sheer driveability and response that the car gives back is awesome. Like i was explaining to a friend of mine the other day who asked my why i was still bothered about the 12yr old car and putting money on doing it.. I said... I have yet to come across any car in its class that talks back to you like the OHC does. The feedback from the steering and the cornering is so precise on the car that even without all the latest developments in hi tech wizardry ... she still does what you want when you want and as well as you want while constantly giving you a feedback on what she's doing.

Every time you sit in and drive this car... it makes you want to do just that... DRIVE it for miles n miles n miles!


The only trouble i have now is finding a reliable mechanic who knows what is what on the OHC. My old mechanic has left for better places and finding a reliable guy has been on my list for the last 8 months!

Last edited by Vandit : 14th June 2012 at 12:01.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 12:44   #955
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
spent some 30 minutes trying to locate the OBD II port on OHC this morning but could not find it.

there is only one parrot green port cover (wires plugged into this and not going anywhere) but this is not OBD II.

photo of parrot green cover, and OBD II scanner pins.

please help.
I am 99% sure its this.But just head to any of the mechanics/garage who have a scanner and they will plug it in for you.I will check the one in my car this evening and will post a pic of the same.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 12:58   #956
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Exactly. The smoothness and the sheer driveability and response that the car gives back is awesome. Like i was explaining to a friend of mine the other day who asked my why i was still bothered about the 12yr old car and putting money on doing it.. I said... I have yet to come across any car in its class that talks back to you like the OHC does. The feedback from the steering and the cornering is so precise on the car that even without all the latest developments in hi tech wizardry ... she still does what you want when you want and as well as you want while constantly giving you a feedback on what she's doing.

Every time you sit in and drive this car... it makes you want to do just that... DRIVE it for miles n miles n miles!


The only trouble i have now is finding a reliable mechanic who knows what is what on the OHC. My old mechanic has left for better places and finding a reliable guy has been on my list for the last 8 months!
I usually give my OHC to this guy near santacruz police station.Its right near the Mini Showroom.He does a good job.Had no problems so far.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 13:10   #957
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
What's the udpate? How did the car behave on the way home?
Elaborate a bit more about the 'khat khat'.
Radiator Leak Man. There was a very minor leak and hence i had thought of getting it done after sometime. It seems the car was parked for a week and the entire system drained out. I drove on Monday and the car was good. Tuesday while returning home i noticed the Temp Needle Shooting up all the way, i immediately stopped and called KSM. As per his advice i open the hood and poured some plain water on the top of the radiator and kept it open for around 20 mins, then the needle came down below the halfway mark. I could then drive for around a Km with the revvs at 1k and then again the needle would shoot up. So i kept doing the same thing (open hood pour water wait) every 1 km and it took me nearly 3 hours to reach home . Car is parked now. Need to go and fill in water and see from where its leaking and get it welded. I guess after that it should be back to its usual elements.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 15:10   #958
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Radiator Leak Man. There was a very minor leak and hence i had thought of getting it done after sometime. It seems the car was parked for a week and the entire system drained out. I drove on Monday and the car was good. Tuesday while returning home i noticed the Temp Needle Shooting up all the way, i immediately stopped and called KSM. As per his advice i open the hood and poured some plain water on the top of the radiator and kept it open for around 20 mins, then the needle came down below the halfway mark. I could then drive for around a Km with the revvs at 1k and then again the needle would shoot up. So i kept doing the same thing (open hood pour water wait) every 1 km and it took me nearly 3 hours to reach home . Car is parked now. Need to go and fill in water and see from where its leaking and get it welded. I guess after that it should be back to its usual elements.
Oops if it was overheating every 1 km then you should have waited a little longer for the radiator to cool down and poured water into the radiator itself.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 15:57   #959
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Oops is not the word man. Anyways the car didnt feel 'not right' to drive so fingers crossed that there was no damage. I'll fill in the water tonight and see tomorrow morning how much of it gets drained out.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 21:50   #960
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 886
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
other side does not go anywhere. two plugs are just plugged into this green rubber cover and the cover is just a cover - does not have any connectors or likes.
Remove the cover and you will see the port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I am 99% sure its this.But just head to any of the mechanics/garage who have a scanner and they will plug it in for you.I will check the one in my car this evening and will post a pic of the same.
I have just been informed that it is technically an OBDII port, however, the adapter is Honda specific and a regular OBDII scanner will not fit!

You need to have a compatible adapter which most good workshops will have.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks