Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2012, 21:58   #976
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Wow. Expensive indeed.. But why? And what's with Honda's insane quotes? Nearly thrice as much! Are they oblivious to reality??
Honda quotes for replacement. quote by a local mechanic is for repair - this explains.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 23:31   #977
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

Btw I've been noticing an oil drip in my parking spot coming from the drivers side front bay.. Checking closely I can see it on the front right mount.. so when i took it to the Mech.. He's put it down to a steering oil leak...this was seconded by a slow grinding sound when turning tight at slow forward speeds. The steering oil level also was low..

Anyways,a per him, its a steering rack issue /oil seal leak..but he's saying its gonna cost nearly 6k to fix approx!! Is it that expensive?? An oil seal fix shouldn't be too expensive now or is it?? :-(
I was facing the same issue a couple of months ago.From exactly the same spot.On inspection by the mechanic he said the same thing , "steering oil leak ". So he told me to change the oil seal.That cost me around 550 with labour. That was in July 2010.No problem since then.
However,word of advice. Do wash your underbody thoroughly to find out exactly where the leakage is from to avoid any unnecessary expenditure and to pinpoint the leakage area.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 14:16   #978
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

My OHC Type 2 is throwing up the Error "Oxygen Sensor - heater circuit malfunction" - Do i need to replace the O2 sensor or just is it possible to replace just the heater circuit part of it? I remember someone on the forum mention that just the heater circuit can be replaced at a cost of around 1K.

Any idea how much does the bonnet of OHC Type 2 cost?
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 15:38   #979
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 57
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Yesterday while driving i noticed that every time I tried to accelerate from 1st gear, the rpms would drop to the extent that I would have to rev slightly higher to make sure the engine does not shut off. Almost like there was dirty fuel of something. At a red light the car was idling alright and i did not have to rev it to keep the engine running. If turned teh AC off the idle would come down even lower but the engine would keep running just enough. Never faced this issue before. This morning the car is running absolutely fine. Silly question but could it have been the heat yesterday as i did drive around quite a bit in the afternoon. The temp gauge was a bit below half which is normal. i keep hearing things about the O2 sensor. Could that need a cleaning or something?
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 20:42   #980
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 881
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
Yesterday while driving i noticed that every time I tried to accelerate from 1st gear, the rpms would drop to the extent that I would have to rev slightly higher to make sure the engine does not shut off. Almost like there was dirty fuel of something. At a red light the car was idling alright and i did not have to rev it to keep the engine running. If turned teh AC off the idle would come down even lower but the engine would keep running just enough. Never faced this issue before. This morning the car is running absolutely fine. Silly question but could it have been the heat yesterday as i did drive around quite a bit in the afternoon. The temp gauge was a bit below half which is normal. i keep hearing things about the O2 sensor. Could that need a cleaning or something?
Unbelievable! I had the exact same experience yesterday afternoon and I thought I was the only one to face this issue.

It was the Gurgaon heat that caused this since there was so much hot air being sucked in, the engine was on the verge of cutting off at least thrice for me. This was happening when moving from stationary and noticed that the temperature needle was a little bit over the normal mark but nothing alarming.

I am thinking of getting a header wrap and intake wrap ASAP! Even imagined of putting a jugaadu cold water wrap around my intake pipe during afternoons and keep pouring water on it to keep it cool!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 21:05   #981
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
My exhaust is Gone kaput.I feel its completely rusted and broken in parts.The car sounds like a race car now.Loud.The end can or the end of the tail pipe is broken off.
Now since i am going to put a new exhaust i was wondering if anyone has anything in mind.As in something that will still keep the efficiency in mind.Maybe stock maybe something else i am open to ideas.Also if anyone knows a good place around santacruz , bandra , khar or even andheri to fix this.The guys at khar danda use bad material and they don't last.
They use rusted scrap metal sheets and paint it with cheap redoxide to prevent it from rusting.Just get a brand new one from any good shop and see to it that it is a branded product.Indian ones will be better. Pls check up with Syndicate guys ,earlier they were into only wipers now they have set up a plant to make exhaust systems for all cars. They are slightly more in cost as compared to those road side guys but will last longer.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 22:10   #982
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
They use rusted scrap metal sheets and paint it with cheap redoxide to prevent it from rusting.Just get a brand new one from any good shop and see to it that it is a branded product.Indian ones will be better. Pls check up with Syndicate guys ,earlier they were into only wipers now they have set up a plant to make exhaust systems for all cars. They are slightly more in cost as compared to those road side guys but will last longer.
Hello,thanks for the info.Still have not got my exhaust fixed.Main reason is finding time.I keep saying ill do it sunday morning.But that morning is passes of in sleeping.The syndicate guys are very close friends of mine.They are more into wipers now.I get em free.lol.Sadly they do not make the exhausts system for this car.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 13:43   #983
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 57
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Unbelievable! I had the exact same experience yesterday afternoon and I thought I was the only one to face this issue.

It was the Gurgaon heat that caused this since there was so much hot air being sucked in, the engine was on the verge of cutting off at least thrice for me. This was happening when moving from stationary and noticed that the temperature needle was a little bit over the normal mark but nothing alarming.

I am thinking of getting a header wrap and intake wrap ASAP! Even imagined of putting a jugaadu cold water wrap around my intake pipe during afternoons and keep pouring water on it to keep it cool!
I see, unheard off issue. Will have to look for a solution.
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 21:22   #984
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Hello,thanks for the info.Still have not got my exhaust fixed.Main reason is finding time.I keep saying ill do it sunday morning.But that morning is passes of in sleeping.The syndicate guys are very close friends of mine.They are more into wipers now.I get em free.lol.Sadly they do not make the exhausts system for this car.

Go to Automech exhaust system in parel they are very very good for exhaust systems.

When the exhaust of my ex-OHC type 1 AT got blown went to them and got a full free flow done without the headers for 8.5k and the car sounded superb and performed superbly and mileage went up by 1kmpl.

Same experience with my 800 after the exhaust manifold developed a leak and also bits and pieces of exhaust pipes got full FFE done for 9k and performance of car has become superb and if i drive properly without flooring it much i get around 13-14kmpl in Mumbai traffic with 80% AC.

They also do complete stock exhaust systems.
Get the exhaust system done in Stainless Steel and it will last for next 9-10years atleast but it would be little more costly but worth IMO.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 19th June 2012 at 21:23.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 22:19   #985
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

If in case its found that your engine compression is around 150 - 175, does it mean that the rings and gasket is gone? and if in case one needs to improve the figures, does it take a lot to replace the rings and gasket? is that an easy job? is it recommended? I had read a thread on using some lubes in each cylinder to improve the compression but not really sure if that is the correct way to achieve it.

Please advise gurus. My 2001 Vtec is not in its full elements. I am in 2 minds to keep it or sell it. Depending on the work required it will be decided on what to do next. Overall its behaving satisfactorily (slightly sluggish at lower RPMs), the Vtec punch is no longer there at RPMs below 3k, beyond that it seems satisfactory but has room for improvement.

Please advise.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 23:26   #986
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I have a non functioning handbrake.Have not yet changed the cable.I am guessing the cable is faulty.I have done all the necessary adjustments,changing the rear brake cylinders etc but still the problem persists.
Now the main reason for tying out this post is that on a steep slope, today while parking my car, i shifted it into 1st gear and switched off the engine.The car still kept going forward but not smoothly in a couple of jerks.But after intervals of 10 secs.
Any body have any idea on what just happened.I am clueless.
Is it advisable to put the car in reverse gear while parking the car on the slope(nose pointing down the slope).
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 23:49   #987
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
If in case its found that your engine compression is around 150 - 175, does it mean that the rings and gasket is gone? and if in case one needs to improve the figures, does it take a lot to replace the rings and gasket? is that an easy job? is it recommended? I had read a thread on using some lubes in each cylinder to improve the compression but not really sure if that is the correct way to achieve it.
did you do a compression test? 150 is certainly low, but 175 is not. compression for new OHC engine was in the range of 185-190.

i am sure you read about XADO; i have used it on a Lancer in my family with good results (that product actually should be used when your engine is opened for some major work and the cylinders are exposed, for better results). It is not available in India any more, I picked it up from US.

a full engine rebuild costs in range of 45-55k, by this - my best guess would be that rings/gasket should be a 12-15k job; i might be completely off the mark though.

Last edited by infotech58 : 19th June 2012 at 23:50.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:04   #988
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
My OHC Type 2 is throwing up the Error "Oxygen Sensor - heater circuit malfunction" - Do i need to replace the O2 sensor or just is it possible to replace just the heater circuit part of it? I remember someone on the forum mention that just the heater circuit can be replaced at a cost of around 1K.

Any idea how much does the bonnet of OHC Type 2 cost?
The O2 sensor has the heater built-in. So the whole sensor needs to be replaced.
The bonnet from Honda would cost around 16.5K + taxes + painting charges.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:25   #989
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
The O2 sensor has the heater built-in. So the whole sensor needs to be replaced.
Yes it is built in, but it can we replaced by adding an external element.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 14:10   #990
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
did you do a compression test? 150 is certainly low, but 175 is not. compression for new OHC engine was in the range of 185-190.

i am sure you read about XADO; i have used it on a Lancer in my family with good results (that product actually should be used when your engine is opened for some major work and the cylinders are exposed, for better results). It is not available in India any more, I picked it up from US.

a full engine rebuild costs in range of 45-55k, by this - my best guess would be that rings/gasket should be a 12-15k job; i might be completely off the mark though.
Thanks Sumeet,

The engine definitely doesnt need a rebuild. Its smooth but doesnt pack the punch as before. 2 of my cylinders are on 175 and 2 on 150. so i am wondering what to do.

I have read about Xado but not sure whether i really need it. Could you provide the exact product that you used. I could ask my friends in UK / US to send it here.


Regd the car, its nice to drive, i get power but not that insane Vtec power so was thinking of whether to get all these done. From a daily commute perspective its not required however you know how it is
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks