Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 14:57   #991
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks Sumeet,
The engine definitely doesnt need a rebuild. Its smooth but doesnt pack the punch as before. 2 of my cylinders are on 175 and 2 on 150. so i am wondering what to do.

I have read about Xado but not sure whether i really need it. Could you provide the exact product that you used. I could ask my friends in UK / US to send it here.
This is the exact XADO product I bought:
Amazon.com: XADO Gel-revitalizant for Cylinders (blister, 9 ml): Automotive

I picked up five tubes during my recent US trip. The car (Lancer) I tried it upon had almost 98k on ODO, and had lost some power in lower revvs (below 2500); applied this treatment without opening up the cylinders and the results were good; engine noise came down, and it regained the power in lower revvs, however no improvement in FE.

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 17:44   #992
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Go to Automech exhaust system in parel they are very very good for exhaust systems.

When the exhaust of my ex-OHC type 1 AT got blown went to them and got a full free flow done without the headers for 8.5k and the car sounded superb and performed superbly and mileage went up by 1kmpl.

Same experience with my 800 after the exhaust manifold developed a leak and also bits and pieces of exhaust pipes got full FFE done for 9k and performance of car has become superb and if i drive properly without flooring it much i get around 13-14kmpl in Mumbai traffic with 80% AC.

They also do complete stock exhaust systems.
Get the exhaust system done in Stainless Steel and it will last for next 9-10years atleast but it would be little more costly but worth IMO.
I might just do the stock exhaust system from them.And not free flow.Because after doing some research on the forum,some have said it could lead to engine seizure.To many nothing has happened.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 19:49   #993
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Yes it is built in, but it can we replaced by adding an external element.
I assume that it would be an external resistive circuit. Does this restore the heater function or just fool the ECU?
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:49   #994
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

My OHC bonnet needed replacement. I decided to get it done at my FNG. The mechanic claims to have bought a "new" replacement but somehow its condition doesnt convince me its new. It has a very crude grey primer coating, but there are small cringes to both ends towards the windshield - corrugated wavy metal , there are no rubber linings under hood, no honda sticker, and there are sharp shallow dents at three places(all in a single line) underneath. Do you think he is taking me for a ride by palming off a used stuff claiming its new with a false bill? Please help.
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:24   #995
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
I assume that it would be an external resistive circuit. Does this restore the heater function or just fool the ECU?
Yes it is external, i also have my doubts about that bit.

But no check light.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:19   #996
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Automech exhaust systems,gave me a quote of 6500 for a stock exhaust system.Whereas the last time at a local garage i paid 1500 for only the end can.
They said the job will be done in half n hour.What do you'll think?
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 12:13   #997
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Automech exhaust systems,gave me a quote of 6500 for a stock exhaust system.Whereas the last time at a local garage i paid 1500 for only the end can.
They said the job will be done in half n hour.What do you'll think?

Depends on what sections of your exhaust system requires changing.
6.5k he must have quoted for the full exhaust system from manifold to back-box.

If only end can is an issue then i think it should be done between 1-1.5k
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:06   #998
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

My 9 year old ohc suddenly started with her hiccups.
The malfunction light popped up today. (When the igniton is switched off and on, the engine oil indicator takes a while to light up.) Opened the hood to realise that oil has been leaking from the head. Did notice some oil around the engine before, but didnt thinks its too serious.
Is the head gasket gone kaput ? any other reasons for oil to pour out from the head ? HELP !!
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:30   #999
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
My 9 year old ohc suddenly started with her hiccups.
The malfunction light popped up today. (When the igniton is switched off and on, the engine oil indicator takes a while to light up.) Opened the hood to realise that oil has been leaking from the head. Did notice some oil around the engine before, but didnt thinks its too serious.
Is the head gasket gone kaput ? any other reasons for oil to pour out from the head ? HELP !!
likely to be gasket. while you are replacing it, also check the crank and cam oil seals.
also check what code your engine light is throwing up.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:02   #1000
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 95
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
My OHC bonnet needed replacement. I decided to get it done at my FNG. The mechanic claims to have bought a "new" replacement but somehow its condition doesnt convince me its new. It has a very crude grey primer coating, but there are small cringes to both ends towards the windshield - corrugated wavy metal , there are no rubber linings under hood, no honda sticker, and there are sharp shallow dents at three places(all in a single line) underneath. Do you think he is taking me for a ride by palming off a used stuff claiming its new with a false bill? Please help.
Guys, need some help here. I am sure many of you would have had to replace a panel like the bonnet. So any pointers of how to identify a new vs an old one will be great. Thanks!
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:49   #1001
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
likely to be gasket. while you are replacing it, also check the crank and cam oil seals.
also check what code your engine light is throwing up.
my mechanic did say its mostly the gasket. will check the crank and the cam oil seals and keep you'll updated. thank you.
Place where i can get the head gasket and for how much ? do city motors at opera house stock it ? any idea ?

Last edited by seedyk : 22nd June 2012 at 10:51.
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:02   #1002
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
my mechanic did say its mostly the gasket. will check the crank and the cam oil seals and keep you'll updated. thank you.
Place where i can get the head gasket and for how much ? do city motors at opera house stock it ? any idea ?
It will set you back by around 450Rs.Add around 100 bucks labour.You can get it done at this garage in santacruz opp the police station.Got mine done from there.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:41   #1003
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
It will set you back by around 450Rs.Add around 100 bucks labour.You can get it done at this garage in santacruz opp the police station.Got mine done from there.
Thanks. I live at Kingcircle, so ill try Opera house. Hopefully i'll get it there.

Apart from this, i need the rubber channels in which the windows operate. Due to age, they have deteriorated and my windows move slower than a snail. Have been using WD40 but want a permanent measure. Please suggest a place where i can get them before my power window motor goes kaput ?

Last edited by seedyk : 22nd June 2012 at 17:49.
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:15   #1004
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Apart from this, i need the rubber channels in which the windows operate. Due to age, they have deteriorated and my windows move slower than a snail. Have been using WD40 but want a permanent measure. Please suggest a place where i can get them before my power window motor goes kaput ?
are you sure it is rubber channel that may be the problem? motor/winding mechanism may turn out to be an issue too.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:09   #1005
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Thanks. I live at Kingcircle, so ill try Opera house. Hopefully i'll get it there.

Apart from this, i need the rubber channels in which the windows operate. Due to age, they have deteriorated and my windows move slower than a snail. Have been using WD40 but want a permanent measure. Please suggest a place where i can get them before my power window motor goes kaput ?
I live in santacruz.But normally parts like these i purchase from opera house too !!.
Try chadda auto parts.I dont know the exact address but its on the main road on the right hand side if your facing towards the north.They normally have stuff you dont find anywhere else.Do let me know how much you purchase the window rubber linings for.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:27.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks