Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th June 2012, 11:53   #1021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk

Please let us know where you getting the headlights from. It would be helpful if the price for each left and right would be shared. Thanks.
I last found out the rates from shetty motors. I've put the quotes in a post a couple of pages earlier on this thread. Check it out.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 12:00   #1022
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I last found out the rates from shetty motors. I've put the quotes in a post a couple of pages earlier on this thread. Check it out.
Sorry, overlooked that.
So the prices quoted by you are 1.9-2 k. Chadda quoted 1.8k
Prices have hiked by 600 bucks in 6 months, that to for depo.
Even stanleys were cheaper earlier. Anyone in suburbs who can find them cheaper ?
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 12:10   #1023
BHPian

Stanleys don't seem to be in stock with anyone.. Been trying for a while to get hold of a pair of stanley headlights
Old 30th June 2012, 09:57   #1024
BHPian

I also need an engine oil change. The lay one i tried was a Castrol oil. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better engine oil??
Old 30th June 2012, 13:24   #1025
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
I also need an engine oil change. The lay one i tried was a Castrol oil. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better engine oil??
i use shell helix ultra 5w-40. been good so far. i wanted to try OWS but could not find anywhere, if you could locate it, post it here for benefit of everyone.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 17:50   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58

i use shell helix ultra 5w-40. been good so far. i wanted to try OWS but could not find anywhere, if you could locate it, post it here for benefit of everyone.
How much does the Helix Ultra cost?? I will check out the prices when i go next week.

Also, pardon me asking, but what you mean by OWS?? Don't mind finding out the details
Old 30th June 2012, 20:25   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
How much does the Helix Ultra cost?? I will check out the prices when i go next week.

Also, pardon me asking, but what you mean by OWS?? Don't mind finding out the details
Shell Helix Ultra available at City Motors, Opera House for 700 per litre. Everywhere else at 800 per litre.

OWS is another brand for engine oil, supposed to be good, but difficult to find. google for more information.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 00:08   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Brand new Munjal Showas are available if you know where to look. Was quoted about 3000 per corner (shock + spring). Had a look at them myself, not refurb'd for sure; brand new. However, there are cheaper options available in the market unless you want to run Showas specifically for some reason. Procuring OE Japanese parts is going to be very difficult very soon unless you go to a dealership. Chinese crap has already flooded the market.

Atleast we're covered on the engine side. Pity Honda won't sell OE parts over the counter.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 00:55   #1029
BHPian

Well, got my ohc serviced. No hiccups now.
Following things were done:
- Engine oil flush + oil change
- New spark plugs
- throttle body was removed and cleaned.
- tappet cover replaced
- changed front window rubber channels.

The idle issue has vanished. The state of the throttle body was worth pity. After the throttle body cleaning, the car accelerates much better and smoother.
The engine oil leaking has stopped and after some thorough cleaning of the engine bay with petrol, it looks much better.
Whereas the new window linings were worth the change. The windows now roll like that of a new car. Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Brand new Munjal Showas are available if you know where to look. Was quoted about 3000 per corner (shock + spring). Had a look at them myself, not refurb'd for sure; brand new. However, there are cheaper options available in the market unless you want to run Showas specifically for some reason. Procuring OE Japanese parts is going to be very difficult very soon unless you go to a dealership. Chinese crap has already flooded the market.

Atleast we're covered on the engine side. Pity Honda won't sell OE parts over the counter.
The only reason for not opting cheaper aftermarket ones was that i'm skeptic about the fit and durability compared to the oe ones. Please let me know which options i should try if not oe.
Plus, even the oe lower arms were not available. Btw, which company is oe for honda ?
Old 1st July 2012, 01:15   #1030
Senior - BHPian

For shocks, Munjal Showa is the OE supplier. Showa is Japanese and Munjal is Indian. The suspension was developed by Showa and manufactured by Munjal Showa under a license.

I honestly don't know what's being sold as stock-replacement these days. Best bet is to ask at Shetty or City Motor at Opera House. They usually sell the flavor of the month, so you will get something that'll atleast fit perfectly. As for durability, I cannot offer any opinion since I haven't tried anything apart from OE. OE shocks are oil charged wherease most aftermarket options will be gas charged. Both have their inherent pros and cons. For comfort however, gas charged shocks are usually preferred over oil charged.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 01:17   #1031
BHPian

Guys could you let me know where can i fing OEM Japanese parts along with prices if possible for my firends OHC type 2 1.3 the car is in a royal Mess but giving the car a new lease of life it deserves. the car has done over 2.4L kms and engine is still solid and compression is good.

List
Rear wheel cylinders
Brake liners
brake pads
Both brake calipers (calipers got seized due to non usage for 10months)
cabin roof light
ac switch bulb
crank oil seals both
Wiper linkage (currently car has sierra arm and wiper mounted in center to work like a single wiper)

Ahh and after all this mess the car requires a new paint job.

currently the car is at Linkway Honda for Rack replacement suprisingly rack is cheaper at Honda A.S.S as comapared to outside.
got a quote of 23k from shetty for TRW rack while OE honda showa rack from honda a.s.s with tierods and oil and labour came upto 19.3k

but for brake parts honda quoted 40k rough figure. which IMO is quite high. hence want help of you guys, tried shetty for calipers they didn have it with them any other shop in opera house?
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 01:24   #1032
Senior - BHPian

If the calipers are siezed, get them un-siezed. They are not a wear item and you will have a hard time finding new calipers.

Find a gasket kit, that should have the oil pump seal and rear main seal. Keep the rest for later.

Pads, OE Nissin.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 02:02   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

brake pads

crank oil seals both

Wiper linkage (currently car has sierra arm and wiper mounted in center to work like a single wiper)

brake pads OE are nissin - approx. 1200 bucks.

crank oil seals - turned out to be tricky in my case, i tried two before i found a perfect fit. bought from shetty motors, and prakash autos, and the one that finally was perfect fit was bought from somewhere in andheri (don't remember).

wiper linkage - cost approx. 1000 bucks. easily available.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:42   #1034
BANNED

Come the rains,come the problems.Problems here are leakage.Sometime back i had mentioned that there was a leakage in the footwell of the driver side area.The carpet use to get soaking wet during the rains.That was solved by cleaning the area under the wiper panel thus clearing any dirt or debris from blocking the drain holes.
Now after this evenings heavy rainfall..i have leakages in two areas.One is the boot area.But that i know the source because the area around the rubber seal is rusted.
The second area is under the sun visor, corner of the front passenger seat.Now that's some serious issue.part of the roof lining in that area has a damp wet look to it.
Any idea how to deal with this issue.Would mseal or some kind of sealant do the trick.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:35   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Come the rains,come the problems.Problems here are leakage.Sometime back i had mentioned that there was a leakage in the footwell of the driver side area.The carpet use to get soaking wet during the rains.That was solved by cleaning the area under the wiper panel thus clearing any dirt or debris from blocking the drain holes.
Now after this evenings heavy rainfall..i have leakages in two areas.One is the boot area.But that i know the source because the area around the rubber seal is rusted.
The second area is under the sun visor, corner of the front passenger seat.Now that's some serious issue.part of the roof lining in that area has a damp wet look to it.
Any idea how to deal with this issue.Would mseal or some kind of sealant do the trick.
Had the same issue for the boot. The area below the rubber seal was rusted on the driver side corner. Though it was a tiny part. Sealed it with mseal and voila ! No more leaks.

For the visor area, you should also check the front windshield as the rubber channel that holds it may have developed cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
If the calipers are siezed, get them un-siezed. They are not a wear item and you will have a hard time finding new calipers.

Find a gasket kit, that should have the oil pump seal and rear main seal. Keep the rest for later.

Pads, OE Nissin.
Just wanted to know that is there a tiny gasket between the iac valve and the throttle body ? As i dont remember my mechanic replacing any when cleaned the throttle body. Rather he sealed it with a three bond tube.

Last edited by seedyk : 3rd July 2012 at 01:39.