Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2012, 12:45   #1036
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

any idea abuot where i could find rear bumper corners for OHC? and the cost? would H.A.S.S sell it to me over the counter without painting it? rear bumper corners on my OHC are broken from the fixing clip and has been a pain to align them, i just want to do a permanent fix for this and replace them once for good.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:14   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Just wanted to know that is there a tiny gasket between the iac valve and the throttle body ? As i dont remember my mechanic replacing any when cleaned the throttle body. Rather he sealed it with a three bond tube.
Yes, there is a gasket.

Name:  sdc10556gq.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  63.2 KB
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:28   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yes, there is a gasket.

Attachment 950527
Thank you for the prompt reply. Where can i get this ? and for how much ? will i need any kind of adhesive to keep it in place ? I'm not going to drive her unless i get this sorted. So please let me know.
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:53   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there is a gasket.

Attachment 950527
Sorry but one more query.

What is the gasket that fits on the throttle body and seals it with the air intake assembly ? the circular one? after 9 years of use, it was chipping off and it's surely going to cause some air leaks. Would like to get that replaced too. any other things you advice to replace ?

Last edited by seedyk : 3rd July 2012 at 15:04.
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:11   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt reply. Where can i get this ? and for how much ? will i need any kind of adhesive to keep it in place ? I'm not going to drive her unless i get this sorted. So please let me know.
You can drive the car as-is if you wish and if it is idling at a steady RPM. I don't believe anyone here sells these gaskets (haven't seen one in any of the gasket kits sold here). Dealerships might have them, but not sure if they will sell it OTC. I import my OE parts from the US; works out to be expensive initially but the quality beats the local stuff so it's cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Sorry but one more query.

What is the gasket that fits on the throttle body and seals it with the air intake assembly ? the circular one? after 9 years of use, it was chipping off and it's surely going to cause some air leaks. Would like to get that replaced too. any other things you advice to replace ?
The throttle body gasket?

Name:  honda_civic_1997_throttle_body_mounting_gasket_oem_61066.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  209.2 KB

Same as above, I believe. I don't use the stock throttle body so I don't need these. However, for the TB gasket, you can get away by tracing the shape of the original gasket on a thick cardboard, cutting it out and using Hondabond/Threebond on both sides, and a thin layer at the perimeter boundary once the TB is bolted to the intake manifold. Even the factory gasket for the TB and intake manifold are paper-based, not rubber.

Last edited by pranavt : 3rd July 2012 at 15:13.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:44   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
You can drive the car as-is if you wish and if it is idling at a steady RPM. I don't believe anyone here sells these gaskets (haven't seen one in any of the gasket kits sold here). Dealerships might have them, but not sure if they will sell it OTC. I import my OE parts from the US; works out to be expensive initially but the quality beats the local stuff so it's cheaper in the long run.

The throttle body gasket?

Attachment 950582

Same as above, I believe. I don't use the stock throttle body so I don't need these. However, for the TB gasket, you can get away by tracing the shape of the original gasket on a thick cardboard, cutting it out and using Hondabond/Threebond on both sides, and a thin layer at the perimeter boundary once the TB is bolted to the intake manifold. Even the factory gasket for the TB and intake manifold are paper-based, not rubber.

The idling speed is at 800 and does not fluctuate. But in the long run, the absence of this gasket is surely going to create problems such as leakages.. isnt it ? Will try and hunt opera house or will get back to you on how to source it. Btw, you're so true about the quality of the parts sold here !

And the second gasket whose pic you attached is a brown coloured gasket which was in good condition and is in its place.

I was asking for the circular rubber one which fits in the air flow box (right where the air filter sits) and seals it on the throttle body. Need to know what its called so i can ask for it. Thanks for your help pranav. (If you dont get what im asking for, ill help you out with a picture by night)
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:55   #1042
Senior - BHPian

That area shouldn't be an issue since it is past the butterfly valve. You should apply Hondabond/Threebond there to cover the filtration leak. Beyond that, nothing else is necessary.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 11:28   #1043
BANNED

If one of us had to upgrade or has already upgraded(on a humorous note,downgrade would be a better term when moving from the OHC to another)to another car from the OHC did you'll feel anything missing.Ideally which would be the next best thing to upgrade to considering the same price range.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:24   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
If one of us had to upgrade or has already upgraded(on a humorous note,downgrade would be a better term when moving from the OHC to another)to another car from the OHC did you'll feel anything missing.Ideally which would be the next best thing to upgrade to considering the same price range.
most of us who are still sticking with OHC love it because of its responsive and smooth engine. a logical upgrade for most is a civic and the only disadvantage is slightly bigger dimensions.
I own an OHC and a lancer, I would want something that gives me the responsiveness of a Honda engine and the handling (or better) of a lancer. I test drove almost all cars available under 11 lac during last 8-9 months and realized that the best bet for me would be buying a Punto 90 and keeping OHC too for weekend use.
Brio is another very refined car, but most suitable for city use only.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 15:01   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure whether you would consider this as a good comparison or a downgrade. I drove the Alto K10 and its a mini Point and Shoot machine. I generally drive alone, so boot is not an essential requirement. Plus the smaller dimensions make city driving a breeze. Just my view based on the driving characteristics. I also dont go beyond 100-120 kmph so top speed is irrelevant for me. But i still have my Vtec with me, still thinking to keep it or not.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 4th July 2012 at 15:02.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 11:19   #1046
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well... My 12 yr old (OHC obviously ;-)) is getting more n more expensive to maintain. Though i use it daily during the rains.. The rest of the time she sees duty only on weekends.. And for long drives.. The most recent being to Karnataka n Goa .. Back the same way. It was simply awesome with no trouble doing above 140 sustained at all.

That said.. The general feeling is that daily city traffic.. South Bombay to Andheri n back is taking a toll..on the suspension n the nut bolts as well as the clutch wear n responsiveness.

I don't think i will able to hang on to it for more than a year or two i guess.. All depends on what she throws up on maintenance. @78k on the odo.. Its not too bad.

I did consider the civic a while back.. But the low ground clearance, soft ride, lower FE and the same low seating position for my 6"3 height was and still is a big bother for me. Of course today the scene has changed a whole lot.... More choices in the same price band and the price of petrol lol. And I'm more certain of the price of fuel being a bubble for diesel cars eventually. Full de-regulation will come about eventually.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 18:18   #1047
Senior - BHPian

The OHC is not a car. It is a lifestyle choice.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 01:07   #1048
BANNED

Quote:
The OHC is not a car. It is a lifestyle choice.
Its A legend(India)..like the GODZILLA aka Nissan Skyline.

All us Hardcore OHC enthusiasts should come up with a nickname for the OHC any suggestions ??
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:22   #1049
BHPian

Unhappy Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Its A legend(India)..like the GODZILLA aka Nissan Skyline.

All us Hardcore OHC enthusiasts should come up with a nickname for the OHC any suggestions ??
the only difference is that unlike the Skyline / GT-R, the love for the Honda City isnt exactly growing with each generation
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 16:04   #1050
BHPian

What will be the approximate cost of a radiator and condenser of an OHC?
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote