Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 04:43   #1171
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Attachment 980932
Danlalan and ksmvtec had shown me one guy who I might possibly go to after the monsoons.
I plan on keeping her for at least two more years.
It is a very common problem with OHC. A simple repaint might not address this, and may require detailed tinkering. Also open the door panel and look at the frame there, it may require attention too.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 16:03   #1172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

There is some leak in by ohc's boot , The carpet is wet and the cardboard that covers the spare wheel also is wet on both the inner corners near the suspension, there is no visible crack on the boot beading and since it is on the other end leak from tail lamp is is ruled out , any other possible source ? There was some water in the spare wheel well .
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 19:53   #1173
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Was your car ever hit on the bum?
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 12:42   #1174
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm
There is some leak in by ohc's boot , The carpet is wet and the cardboard that covers the spare wheel also is wet on both the inner corners near the suspension, there is no visible crack on the boot beading and since it is on the other end leak from tail lamp is is ruled out , any other possible source ? There was some water in the spare wheel well .
Hey I am facing the exact problem. I have not yet solved the problem. I am waiting for the monsoons to get over and then I will get that particular area welded.
In my case I removed the entire rubber beading. On removing it I realise some part was rusted. The other side was looking fine but I could see droplets of water seeping through. Now to put a temporary solution to this I applied loads of araldite and also in the other areas along the boot beading. This has partially stopped the water from entering. The second thing that I did to stop the water from collecting in the wheel well was load the boot with newspaper so water gets absorbed by the newspaper. Trust me it does help but only as a temporary solution. The third thing that I did is put a shallow bucket in the area where the leakage happens. All the water collects there. This ensures nothing goes down to the spare wheel well.
Also just in case you were wondering from where u could acquire the cardboard that covers the spare wheel, you could get it from chadda automobile spares at opera house for 450 rupees. I will try and post some picture later on.
raycers_honda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 14:43   #1175
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,373
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Also just in case you were wondering from where u could acquire the cardboard that covers the spare wheel, you could get it from chadda automobile spares at opera house for 450 rupees. I will try and post some picture later on.
I didnt go hunting for the cardboard since i assumed that i would never get it, so i cut a light plywood and placed it over the sparewheel. i feel that its better that the cardboard.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 16:50   #1176
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt
Was your car ever hit on the bum?
Yeah it's happened to me many times. The first time it happened I got it fixed and took 8 hours to do so. Fixing the Ohc bumper is quite tricky. I sometimes wish they never made it three parts as its very cumbersome to put them back aligned properly. I have put up some images on this thread do check them out.
I have been hit after that repair but it's not been that bad that I have to repair it but the alignment has gone a bit off.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:46   #1177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Spend some time to find the leak in the OHC Boot. It is again proved that OHC bumper is a pain, In fact it from the clip which fix the bumper on both left and right side.Identifying it was quite difficult . There was no clue from outside inspection. So removed the full mat inside the boot and i get inside the boot and asked my wify to close it and pour water from outside using a bucket and mug. She was more than happy to lock me inside the boot .

Look at the images

Name:  To BHP.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  To BHP1.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  130.3 KB

Any possible suggestion to fix it. In fact this side of bumper is new replaced very recently.

Regarding the OHC Oxygen sensor

If the below is the O2 Sensor, In my 1.3 Dx the denso part number is 2340 2180 . yes it is a four wire one .I bought the car 3 yrs back with 50 K on the odo . Hope it was not replaced by previous owner.As some one mentioned earlier in this thread http://www.densoproducts.com/more_info.asp?pid=2014 will this be a suitable substitute for this part ?

Name:  To BHP2.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  168.7 KB

Last edited by vinu_pm : 8th September 2012 at 10:05.
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 09:03   #1178
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Regarding the O2 Sensor I got a mail from Denso Customer Care saying [FONT=Arial]DENSO OE # of 234000-2180 o[/FONT]n the OHC 1.3 dx is equvalnt to234-4099

Attached below is the mail .

Dear Vinu,

I checked with a Denso technician and he replied:
As for your customer's request, very confused. First of all, 234-2180 would not be an OE part number, since that's our aftermarket part number. Secondly, we've never introduced a 234-2180, so don't know where to go. I'm wondering if your customer has been researching via the internet, and is trying to help. There is a DENSO OE # of 234000-2180, registered to Honda, which equals a 234-4099. Can you please ask your customer, First, 'How many wires are on your sensor?'. If the answer is four, next ask, 'Is OE number on your sensor actual 234000-2180, and you excluded the 000?' If the answer is yes, then the 234-4099 is your answer. If no, have your customer drop back 15 yards and punt, because I have no idea how I can further assist them, since, nothing adds up.

Please advise.

Yvonne Priaulx
Customer Service Manager
888-800-9629
951-672-8501
951-672-0759 fax
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 17:51   #1179
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Guys just wanted to know how the CNG OHCs are performing, anyone here with an CNG kit installed?

How much is the power loss in city driving conditions?
What is the impact of the extra weight in the boot?
Any check light or other mechanical issues?
Whats the efficiency like?
Any other feedback?

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 12th September 2012 at 17:53.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 20:19   #1180
BHPian
 
funkyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 455
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58

yep. OHC is a gem and this thread proves it; sadly, i've to put it up for sale due to relocation out of India.
.
Hey did you manage to sell the car? What price? I have transported my car to bangalore and will be putting it up for sale. Wanted to get an idea of the price to expect
funkyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 06:31   #1181
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Hey did you manage to sell the car? What price? I have transported my car to bangalore and will be putting it up for sale. Wanted to get an idea of the price to expect
I posted and AD with asking price of 3 lac and the best offer I got was in the vicinity of 2.65 lac but keep in mind that my car was in very good condition. I eventually ended up not selling OHC and sold my Lancer for a petty sum (I had to sell at least one of these two cars) and my OHC is now with a friend of mine in Mumbai who'll use it occasionally to keep it alive.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 15:51   #1182
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,373
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Spend some time to find the leak in the OHC Boot. It is again proved that OHC bumper is a pain, In fact it from the clip which fix the bumper on both left and right side.Identifying it was quite difficult . There was no clue from outside inspection. So removed the full mat inside the boot and i get inside the boot and asked my wify to close it and pour water from outside using a bucket and mug. She was more than happy to lock me inside the boot .

Any possible suggestion to fix it. In fact this side of bumper is new replaced very recently.
I think you get a Silicone based Sealant Spray which is transparent and provides a thin layer of coating that prevents water from seeping in. I have not used it but plan to check with 3M. They should be having it. Have read in some thread that these provide the necessary water proofing although temporary in nature.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 15:55   #1183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Hey I am facing the exact problem. I have not yet solved the problem. I am waiting for the monsoons to get over and then I will get that particular area welded.
In my case I removed the entire rubber beading. On removing it I realise some part was rusted. The other side was looking fine but I could see droplets of water seeping through. Now to put a temporary solution to this I applied loads of araldite and also in the other areas along the boot beading. This has partially stopped the water from entering. The second thing that I did to stop the water from collecting in the wheel well was load the boot with newspaper so water gets absorbed by the newspaper. Trust me it does help but only as a temporary solution. The third thing that I did is put a shallow bucket in the area where the leakage happens. All the water collects there. This ensures nothing goes down to the spare wheel well.
Also just in case you were wondering from where u could acquire the cardboard that covers the spare wheel, you could get it from chadda automobile spares at opera house for 450 rupees. I will try and post some picture later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I think you get a Silicone based Sealant Spray which is transparent and provides a thin layer of coating that prevents water from seeping in. I have not used it but plan to check with 3M. They should be having it. Have read in some thread that these provide the necessary water proofing although temporary in nature.
Im facing a similar issue.
The boot is leaking beyond imagination. Just removed my rear seat today, and it was soaked in water.
The leakage is in the same place, ie the rubber beading for the boot as it has caught rust.
Tried mseal, but it is still leaking from around it, may be the silicon thing might help.
Please post as and when you find a solution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Regarding the O2 Sensor I got a mail from Denso Customer Care saying [FONT=Arial]DENSO OE # of 234000-2180 o[/FONT]n the OHC 1.3 dx is equvalnt to234-4099

Attached below is the mail .

Dear Vinu,

I checked with a Denso technician and he replied:
As for your customer's request, very confused. First of all, 234-2180 would not be an OE part number, since that's our aftermarket part number. Secondly, we've never introduced a 234-2180, so don't know where to go. I'm wondering if your customer has been researching via the internet, and is trying to help. There is a DENSO OE # of 234000-2180, registered to Honda, which equals a 234-4099. Can you please ask your customer, First, 'How many wires are on your sensor?'. If the answer is four, next ask, 'Is OE number on your sensor actual 234000-2180, and you excluded the 000?' If the answer is yes, then the 234-4099 is your answer. If no, have your customer drop back 15 yards and punt, because I have no idea how I can further assist them, since, nothing adds up.

Please advise.

Yvonne Priaulx
Customer Service Manager
888-800-9629
951-672-8501
951-672-0759 fax
The OE denso on my ohc 1.3 dx (2003 model) is 234000-2180. Have a picture too, if you need it.
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 22:46   #1184
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mumbai
Posts: 222
Thanked: 41 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk

Im facing a similar issue.
The boot is leaking beyond imagination. Just removed my rear seat today, and it was soaked in water.
The leakage is in the same place, ie the rubber beading for the boot as it has caught rust.
My car was leaking where the rubber beading area is. But not anymore.I removed the rubber and got the rusted parts removed and re-welded a another metal plate onto it. It was a job that got done in less than two hours with a coat of paint to match and costed less than 600 bucks.
Now the leakage has stopped completely.
You can try that. If that does not work then I guess you have to replace your rear window lining.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 01:53   #1185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
My car was leaking where the rubber beading area is. But not anymore.I removed the rubber and got the rusted parts removed and re-welded a another metal plate onto it. It was a job that got done in less than two hours with a coat of paint to match and costed less than 600 bucks.
Now the leakage has stopped completely.
You can try that. If that does not work then I guess you have to replace your rear window lining.
If possible, can you please post a picture of the part where the leakage was and also a pic of the welding done, will help me to a great extent.

Well, my rear window isnt leaking, sure about that. Im going to try and seal the rubber gasket which surrounds the boot with 3 bond tube.

If this doesnt help, will have to go your way !
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report tejas08 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 5th October 2015 21:18
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
DIY: 1st-Gen Honda City Door Panel Removal bowser DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th October 2014 00:18
Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec Rice_tuner Sedans 8 16th June 2008 19:52
honda city (new) (old) and mitsubishi lancer fuel efficiency devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 3 19th July 2005 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks