Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th May 2009, 00:06   #106
BHPian

Check if your Radiator fan has concked...
happened to me, eventually led to a burst radiator pipe.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 00:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

I changed my front wheel bearings 2 weeks ago. While driving still get a bearing sort of noise which becomes lesser as the car goes faster and resurfaces again when I slow down the car. What could this be? Ideas anyone?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 10:28   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I changed my front wheel bearings 2 weeks ago. While driving still get a bearing sort of noise which becomes lesser as the car goes faster and resurfaces again when I slow down the car. What could this be? Ideas anyone?
Yours is the fourth case I've come across in as many months, of persistent bearing noise after changing front wheel bearings, including my relative's Accent which I took to Calcutta. The culprit is spurious bearings. The only way to solve this is to re-change the bearings, and source them from somewhere you can only HOPE is reliable. It is said that some 80% of the replacement auto-bearings market in India comprises spurious bearings. Good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
What can I do to correct this? Can the incorrect coolant + water mixture have caused this? I plan to get the radiator flushed and filled with fresh water and coolant.

Can anything else cause this, since it was very speed specific.
Incorrect mix shouldn't make a difference like this. Radiator service - opening, flushing, cleaning fins and pipes manually, and refilling with fresh coolant - will sort out your problem. Check also that both fans are working when the car is at optimum temp with the AC running. While you are at it, a cleanout of the AC condensor is also in order if your AC hasn't been serviced for 2+ seasons.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 10:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Ok, time to change my car's Brake discs and disc pads.
In showroom(Whitefield Honda) I was quoted 11K + 4K respectively including tax.
How much does OE Honda brake disc& pads cost elsewhere? Where can I get them in Bangalore
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 11:19   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
How much does OE Honda brake disc& pads cost elsewhere? Where can I get them in Bangalore
Honda brake pads (Bosch, or equivalent imports from Korea) should cost <1.2k, far less than the 4k you've been quoted. As to changing the discs, why don't you turn them at a lathe first? Discs can take up to 4 turning-and-polishing cycles before they need to be rejected - that can happen at over 2L km of use.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Honda brake pads (Bosch, or equivalent imports from Korea) should cost <1.2k, far less than the 4k you've been quoted. As to changing the discs, why don't you turn them at a lathe first? Discs can take up to 4 turning-and-polishing cycles before they need to be rejected - that can happen at over 2L km of use.
Thanks for the info. Any idea as where can I get the brake pads in Bangalore?
Need to check for the Lathe thing.
Is it reliable after getting the lathe work done ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 12:22   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any idea as where can I get the brake pads in Bangalore?
Need to check for the Lathe thing.
Is it reliable after getting the lathe work done ?
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Bangalore and cannot help you there.
Turning discs and drums on a lathe to clear out the irregularities, is a standard procedure, and is as reliable as getting new discs - unless this has been done a few times on the discs before, in which case thickness may need to be checked. First or second time turning of discs can be done blind.
Old 14th May 2009, 12:45   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dippy , if as ss-traveller says, the spurious bearing is not the case ( and im quite sure you must have put genuine ones ) check for wear on the drive shaft

i have exactly the same problem - yet to be fixed but i m quite sure NOW that its the drive shaft that is worn out and causing this problem
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 13:50   #114
BHPian

I drove the car to work today, the same thing happened even with the A/C off. Saw the temperature needle rise even under 80kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I think the thermostat valve is stuck in the 'closed' position. Or is not opening completely. Get it checked by a Mechanic.
Thanks. Will get the thermostat checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Check if your Radiator fan has concked...
happened to me, eventually led to a burst radiator pipe.
Yup, I stated in my last post that both fans are working fine.

Quote:
Incorrect mix shouldn't make a difference like this. Radiator service - opening, flushing, cleaning fins and pipes manually, and refilling with fresh coolant - will sort out your problem. Check also that both fans are working when the car is at optimum temp with the AC running. While you are at it, a cleanout of the AC condensor is also in order if your AC hasn't been serviced for 2+ seasons.
A radiator service is exactly what I intend to do. The A/C was serviced last season, but a trip to the A/C guy is due, since I need to get the compressor bearing and oil checked. Has started taking load. I hope the radiator clean / refill solves the problem.

And both fans are working under optimum temperature, with the A/C on.

Quote:
Ok, time to change my car's Brake discs and disc pads.
In showroom(Whitefield Honda) I was quoted 11K + 4K respectively including tax.
I believe the OE brake pads are Nissin. The set costs under 2k. Will post my CP tonight.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 14th May 2009 at 13:51.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Dippy , if as ss-traveller says, the spurious bearing is not the case ( and im quite sure you must have put genuine ones ) check for wear on the drive shaft

i have exactly the same problem - yet to be fixed but i m quite sure NOW that its the drive shaft that is worn out and causing this problem
In case its a drive shaft issue whats the solution. BTW mine is an automatic.
Old 14th May 2009, 23:29   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ Dippy: Worn out drive shafts will not only hum at speed, they will also cause a crackling sound when you turn the wheels to full lock on one side and drive with heavy acceleration. This is caused by the constant velocity (CV) joints wearing out. Check for this.

As to drive shafts in auto and manual transmissions, they are much the same in design, though size might vary. I am not familiar with the Honda Automatic, but that's just the gearbox - has nothing to do with the shaft and wheel bearings design.

Would you like to comment on your source of bearings? was it from a Honda Authrized Service Centre?

Automa
Old 15th May 2009, 00:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Dippy: Worn out drive shafts will not only hum at speed, they will also cause a crackling sound when you turn the wheels to full lock on one side and drive with heavy acceleration. This is caused by the constant velocity (CV) joints wearing out. Check for this.

As to drive shafts in auto and manual transmissions, they are much the same in design, though size might vary. I am not familiar with the Honda Automatic, but that's just the gearbox - has nothing to do with the shaft and wheel bearings design.

Would you like to comment on your source of bearings? was it from a Honda Authrized Service Centre?

Automa
There is no crackling sound when I turn full lock anywhere. I met Jitu(Ford Rocam) this evening and had him take a drive in my car. Hes told me it could be the rear bearings. He has ruled out anything to do with drive shafts. Maybe I should get them checked.
Old 15th May 2009, 09:09   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...it could be the rear bearings.
Check your FW bearings by jacking up each wheel on a jack stand and running up some speed in gear (though the noise may be less because it is running under no-load conditions). Ditto the rear wheels, while manually spinning them. There appears to be no issue with your drive shafts. But the most likely cause would be a spurious bearing - did you source your bearing from a reliable place, or was it from a regular spare parts dealer?
Delhi Police Raids Dealers of Counterfeit Bearings of SKF Brand - SKF.com/Latest News/News archive
Old 15th May 2009, 09:17   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
I am not familiar with the Honda Automatic, but that's just the gearbox - has nothing to do with the shaft and wheel bearings design.
You are right. Its just the gearbox that is different. Driveshafts and the rest of the parts are the same as the manual shift car.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 12:56   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Quote:
Replace the drive shaft boot. Is it coming on both sides or only one side ? And is the sound a little squeaky ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote