Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th October 2012, 20:50   #1231
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

I have been having frequent issues with:
1. Front lower arm
2. Bushes
and recently 3. front wheel Bearings

The mech says that my wheels are too big for the car.

Car: 1.5exi OHC 2002
Wheels: 195/55/R15

Could someone please let me know if I should down-size wheels, or is there some other way to get rid of this problem.. stiffer suspension (just a wild guess) ?
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 17:59   #1232
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
1. Front lower arm
2. Bushes
3. front wheel Bearings
I believe stiff suspension can partly be blamed for that.
What make you used for lower arms? I can say that the replacement must not have been an OE one and the after market lower arms are kind of unreliable. I have changed mine twice.
Bad roads could also be the culprits.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 19:09   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
1. Front lower arm
2. Bushes
and recently 3. front wheel Bearings

The mech says that my wheels are too big for the car.

Car: 1.5exi OHC 2002
Wheels: 195/55/R15

Could someone please let me know if I should down-size wheels, or is there some other way to get rid of this problem.. stiffer suspension (just a wild guess) ?
Bad suspension frequenting is mainly due to:
1. Bad roads
2. Low profile tyres – 55 is not too good, but not as bad as 50 profile. 60 profile is ideal.
3. Lots of dust for the bushes to tear. Irregular cleaning of the car (my opinion).
4. Bogus suspension parts
5. Driving style

Front wheel bearings are only wear due to time. Did you have these replaced ever/recently?
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 13:32   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Bad suspension frequenting is mainly due to:
1. Bad roads
2. Low profile tyres – 55 is not too good, but not as bad as 50 profile. 60 profile is ideal.
3. Lots of dust for the bushes to tear. Irregular cleaning of the car (my opinion).
4. Bogus suspension parts
5. Driving style

Front wheel bearings are only wear due to time. Did you have these replaced ever/recently?
Car is throughly cleaned weekly, and exteriors are wiped once a week.

The tire profile do worry me, but I can't increase the profile without downsizing.

I have never changed the bearings on the car, it's run just short of 2 lakh kms now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I believe stiff suspension can partly be blamed for that.
What make you used for lower arms? I can say that the replacement must not have been an OE one and the after market lower arms are kind of unreliable. I have changed mine twice.
Bad roads could also be the culprits.
I am not sure what make the arm was, but it was done at a local garage so don't think it's OEM. I guess that explains it.
Old 18th October 2012, 22:28   #1235
BANNED

Now that the "no tints" rule is firmer than it was before. I have to head this weekend to the garage or car accessories guy to remove my dark tints. Trust me they are really dark. Though from an angle it becomes slightly translucent. But the best part is the ac cools brilliantly.
My question , is if any one has put those window curtains in their Ohc. The ones similar to the German cars. This company called amritas has them. But they are Delhi based. Let me know if anyone has suggestions.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 00:12   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda
Now that the "no tints" rule is firmer than it was before. I have to head this weekend to the garage or car accessories guy to remove my dark tints. Trust me they are really dark. Though from an angle it becomes slightly translucent. But the best part is the ac cools brilliantly.
My question , is if any one has put those window curtains in their Ohc. The ones similar to the German cars. This company called amritas has them. But they are Delhi based. Let me know if anyone has suggestions.
Some other brand known as PA is also available but not for all models. If I get time I shall check over the weekend and inform.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 18:25   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
I have been having frequent issues...
I had a similar issue, I went from 15" back to 13"(stock)now it feels like driving on a pillow.. too good. I replaced the tie rod and conditioned the suspension. some boot changes etc. Now its a breeze. I think you must downsize for ride comfort.
johnda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 10:29   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I had a similar issue, I went from 15" back to 13"(stock)now it feels like driving on a pillow.. too good. I replaced the tie rod and conditioned the suspension. some boot changes etc. Now its a breeze. I think you must downsize for ride comfort.
I know, but the wheels look good better when they're bigger -- kind of caught between looks and comfort. If there weren't these mechanical issues I would definitely have stayed with 15"..
Old 20th October 2012, 13:24   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I bought a pair of fog lights for my Vtec today. I was so impressed with its OEM like fit into the stock bumper that I felt compelled to post here. I would say it is a 99% OEM accessory and it looks factory installed. I found it at Sainath Motors, Khar, Mumbai. Even the on/off switch looks exactly like the OEM rear defogger switch. The projection, fit n finish and quality is outstanding. If you want one, speak to Rishi the owner and he'll get you one for Rs. 4500/-. Tell him Aviv sent you.
The Honda dealer in Pune says if you add an accessory like fog lamps, the warranty will be void. Have you had the same experience in Mumbai too?
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 19:36   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
I know, but the wheels look good better when they're bigger -- kind of caught between looks and comfort. If there weren't these mechanical issues I would definitely have stayed with 15"..
Then what's wrong with 14"?

15 inch with 50 profile is a suspension killer (I changed thrice).

I recently shifted to 195/55/15 for the front wheels only and it makes a considerable difference from the 50 profile. I can see the suspension holding up much better.

The only downside is the speedo error which is outside the recommended limit. Gives no issues whatsoever otherwise. Do this!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 21:17   #1241
BHPian

195/55/15 would be my choice too. I dont think warranty is a problem given my car is 10 years old
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 23:04   #1242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici

Some other brand known as PA is also available but not for all models. If I get time I shall check over the weekend and inform.
Finally found the window curtain thingy I had mentioned earlier. It's available at reliance mall in santacruz,Mumbai.
It's grey in color with perforations. Seems to be of a decent quality. Cost 450 for a pair. Only downside is has to be fitted with those suction clips.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 23:36   #1243
BHPian

Hey ankit what's the update on your car?
You found new workshop on Sohna road? Share the details of the garage.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:12   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
This info helped me to take the decision of not going for a 15" steel Rim from ANHC as some one was selling it for cheap. I thought it will improve the GC but my already week suspension I dont want to give it more strain . By the way how much the tie end rod cost and the split up cost, from where did you re conditioned the suspension . Am at cochin, do you know some reasonable one at cochin doing it.
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:25   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
This info helped me to take the decision of not going for a 15" steel Rim from ANHC as some one was selling it for cheap. I thought it will improve the GC but my already week suspension I dont want to give it more strain . By the way how much the tie end rod cost and the split up cost, from where did you re conditioned the suspension . Am at cochin, do you know some reasonable one at cochin doing it.
Vinu, good to put ride above looks in this area.
I got my work done at coimbatore, if you are driving that way, please contact me i'll PM you the location and garage details. It cost about 1.5k for the tie rod end. Kumar did the job. How long are you going to be at cochin?
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote