Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th October 2012, 13:47   #1276
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
For all the FE People

VTEC & Picture Courtesy: Shantanu
If the picture and fuel meter is correct then approx 15 Liters of fuel has been used to cover 400 kms which means approx mileage of 26-27 kmpl. I believe if Vtec is driven properly then it turns out to be the most Fuel Efficient Sedan. I Mumbai city driving if I drive with light foot then I get anything between 14-15 kmpl with AC on all the times. I don't know about the highway condition in south but on expressway ( Mumbai-Pune) I've got 23 kmpl with AC on all the times and also keeping in mind the ghat section while traveling from Mumbai to Pune. Yes the car was running with K&N CAI, synthetic oil and irridium plugs.

I'm sure Shantanu would have loved this drive of Vtec with 26-27 kmpl which probably might be the highest achieved by anyone.
saurabhkum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 13:54   #1277
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Yes the car was running with K&N CAI, synthetic oil and irridium plugs.
In my opinion iridium plug would not contribute to great FE. Is it so!?!

Well with this record shantanu can get his name in records for being the driver to get the max FE out of any car!

Last edited by Honda Monk : 29th October 2012 at 13:55.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:30   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ryan, check vinay vtec's thread. He has got some after market shocks for OHC. Seems to be good and cost effective too.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 00:57   #1279
BANNED

Here is a pic of my city. Just wanted to share the look of my dark tints before I remove them. Wonder how she's gonna look without them. When I bought her she had no tints but he very next day I put these on. Now that the rule is getting more n more strict I thought of removing it on the next free weekend that I get.

Name:  image1738560675.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  641.4 KB
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 09:59   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda
Here is a pic of my city. Just wanted to share the look of my dark tints before I remove them. Wonder how she's gonna look without them. When I bought her she had no tints but he very next day I put these on. Now that the rule is getting more n more strict I thought of removing it on the next free weekend that I get.
Remove it buddy. Dont risk getting it done by the cops.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 14:55   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Hey Guys,

Can you please help figure this for me ..

So this red light which turns on when the hand brake is pulled , is always on even when i put the handbrake down ,

any idea what may be the problem.

Regards,

Ok Problem Solved !
There was no Brake fluid ! just filled it up and the light went off !!
wonder how did the fluid just disappear , could it have happened when the disk pads were replaced ?

Regards
ryan_wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 21:07   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Check for leaks, multiple times. Hope the brakes were bled properly when the fluid was refilled. Make sure the job was done properly and the fluid isn't leaking. Air in the braking system will result in your brake pedal going to the floor and zero braking.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 23:13   #1283
BHPian

Jumping in here.. my car is 12yrs old & the max i did was 165 approx on the highway run from mumbai to goa & back.. no probs at all. Tyre pressure was 30 iirc.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 19:22   #1284

I have an OHC 1.5 EXI type I 99Model. The AC has not been working properly. But the main thing is when I turn it off and when parked, if I open the bonnet I see splashes of black oil under the hood. It is towards. the passenger side. If you could help me identify the problem, it would be great. Guessing some oil leakage or oil skidding of some belt or something.
sanket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 23:01   #1285
BHPian

Its high time that i get new tyres for my OHC. Planning to do it this weekend. The car is running on stock size tyres 175/70-R13 Apollos. I want to switch to 14 inchers. I believe the correct upsize is 185/60-R14.
Since i am on a tight budget i am looking for Yokohoma A Drive, Apollo acelere or MRF zlo (not sure if this size is available). Please suggest which ones should i go for ?
Are there any other brands which i should consider ?
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:07   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket91 View Post
If I open the bonnet I see splashes of black oil under the hood. It is towards. the passenger side. If you could help me identify the problem, it would be great. Guessing some oil leakage or oil skidding of some belt or something.
Why don't you keep the hood open and keep engine running. Also try to simulate the actual driving while standing i.e. run the a/c, turn the wheels, push the throttle a bit etc. I hope you can figure out the source of leakage.
Could you share the pic of engine bay.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:49   #1287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket91
I have an OHC 1.5 EXI type I 99Model. The AC has not been working properly. But the main thing is when I turn it off and when parked, if I open the bonnet I see splashes of black oil under the hood. It is towards. the passenger side. If you could help me identify the problem, it would be great. Guessing some oil leakage or oil skidding of some belt or something.
Take some pictures and post them here. Get your ac serviced. Also check if the ac gas is adequate. Check your coolant levels. Get your pipes checked for minute punctures . About the black oil , I am not sure what it could be. But check all your caps if they are shut tight. Also check your engine cover gasket. But I'm not sure of how the oil could splash under the hood.

Guys, just a thought ! What if the Ohc had a sixth gear. Would you think it would be needed. Because many a times on the highways I often look down, at the gear shift check or reconfirm that I am in the fifth gear. And I feel there is still so much power left. Like as if its hidden.
Also still searching for the repair manual or workshop manual all over the net but haven't found any luck. If any of you have a good contact inside Honda would it be possible to enquire. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_
Its high time that i get new tyres for my OHC. Planning to do it this weekend. The car is running on stock size tyres 175/70-R13 Apollos. I want to switch to 14 inchers. I believe the correct upsize is 185/60-R14.
Since i am on a tight budget i am looking for Yokohoma A Drive, Apollo acelere or MRF zlo (not sure if this size is available). Please suggest which ones should i go for ?
Are there any other brands which i should consider ?
I have Yokohama es100s 195/60/14 and they are brilliant in terms of grip etc etc. Only problem I face is I get a lot of nails into them. I feel the rubber compound is softer than most other makes.

Last edited by raycers_honda : 2nd November 2012 at 00:56.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:33   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Guys, just a thought ! What if the Ohc had a sixth gear. Would you think it would be needed. Because many a times on the highways I often look down, at the gear shift check or reconfirm that I am in the fifth gear. And I feel there is still so much power left. Like as if its hidden.
The 5th gear has a ratio of 0.771. Going any taller is useless since you aren't even going to hit the top speed in 5th gear. You could probably run a 0.694 ratio 5th from a Honda CRX HF but it wouldn't make sense at all.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:06   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
If the picture and fuel meter is correct then approx 15 Liters of fuel has been used to cover 400 kms which means approx mileage of 26-27 kmpl. I believe if Vtec is driven properly then it turns out to be the most Fuel Efficient Sedan. I Mumbai city driving if I drive with light foot then I get anything between 14-15 kmpl with AC on all the times. I don't know about the highway condition in south but on expressway ( Mumbai-Pune) I've got 23 kmpl with AC on all the times and also keeping in mind the ghat section while traveling from Mumbai to Pune. Yes the car was running with K&N CAI, synthetic oil and irridium plugs.

I'm sure Shantanu would have loved this drive of Vtec with 26-27 kmpl which probably might be the highest achieved by anyone.
My 2002 1.5 EXi never gave more than 10.5 Km/litre in the city with 100% AC. Off late, its started giving me ~9 at 50% AC. What should i be doing to improve the FE?
dhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:15   #1290

Well I am studying in Chennai and my dad is driving the car in Delhi. As soon as I get home this winter, I will post the photos. When I was there I took it to the mechanic who ran the engine and petrol washed under the bonnet to find the leak but he was unable to find it. Didn't check the belts but all pipes seem to be fine. Also the coolant levels are fine. AC needs to be checked and I am going to do that once I get home in the meantime any more suggestions?
sanket91 is offline   Reply With Quote