Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd November 2012, 13:58   #1291
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I was curious to know the top speeds you'll have reached in the Ohc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Top speed of 160 on my Vtec which was very scary.
My 2000 OHC 1.5 EXI has reached 180 on the stretch between Nipani and Kolhapur. After that it vibrates a bit but we've all felt pretty secure. We had a full car (4 pass + me), full luggage, a full LPG tank and almost full petrol tank at that time. Never reached that top speed again but 170 is doable on that stretch without any stability issues. And yes, I drive mostly at night so the roads are pretty deserted.
In the city, I would rarely cross 100. But then it all depends on situations, traffic, road conditions, etc.
Needless to say, I'm a Team-BHPian so naturally a safe and lawful driver.
Dr.Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:20   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav
In the city, I would rarely cross 100. But then it all depends on situations, traffic, road conditions, etc.
Needless to say, I'm a Team-BHPian so naturally a safe and lawful driver.
100 inside city is definitely unlawful even if you cross it rarely
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:55   #1293
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Its high time that i get new tyres for my OHC. Planning to do it this weekend. The car is running on stock size tyres 175/70-R13 Apollos. I want to switch to 14 inchers. I believe the correct upsize is 185/60-R14.
Since i am on a tight budget i am looking for Yokohoma A Drive, Apollo acelere or MRF zlo (not sure if this size is available). Please suggest which ones should i go for ?
Are there any other brands which i should consider ?
Isn't 185/65/14 the correct up-size! Then comes 195/60/14. Get Yokos or Michelin. Basically, I'd say, suit your pocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket91 View Post
When I was there I took it to the mechanic who ran the engine and petrol washed under the bonnet to find the leak but he was unable to find it. Didn't check the belts but all pipes seem to be fine. Also the coolant levels are fine. AC needs to be checked and I am going to do that once I get home in the meantime any more suggestions?
Check the mechanical parts. Could the dampers be shooting oil, or the axle?

Do these splashes come everytime you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How does one get the space to reach a 100 in the city anyway? Unless it's very late at night!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:23   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
How does one get the space to reach a 100 in the city anyway? Unless it's very late at night!
I had the same doubt, BUT we also have G.Noida Expressway, I have touched 140 there.
We can't think of Gurgaon expressway definitely, no one knows where you may find a stationary truck in mid of road or a tractor, as we have seen it all.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:05   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I had the same doubt, BUT we also have G.Noida Expressway, I have touched 140 there.
Here, in Mumbai, I travel to Dadar on a regular basis in the morning and return back in the afternoon. I would say most vehicles cross 100 easily on the Eastern Express Highway.

Last edited by Dr.Sav : 2nd November 2012 at 18:06. Reason: typo
Dr.Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:35   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
even if its late at night it does not make it any less dangerous for you or the other people on the road. whatever the time, season, car, road; 100 in city is still unlawful.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:10   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't 185/65/14 the correct up-size! Then comes 195/60/14. Get Yokos or Michelin. Basically, I'd say, suit your pocket!
I am slightly confused here. I have an OHC 1.5 Exi and when i checked the old recommended tyre up-size chart, it said that the correct upsize was as you mentioned 185/65-R14. THe OHC Vtec (which i assume had the same body parts except the awesome 1.5Vtec engine) came with 175/65-R14 tyres have an upsize of 185/60-R14.
So can i go for any of the above 2 R14 sizes (Conveniently forgetting the odometer calibrations) ?
Still havent decided on which tyre brand though !
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:44   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
What have you done with the car!?!
When was this picture taken?
If OHC is giving such a good FE, WHERE is the need left to buy a diesel car!
The OHC is truly a remarkable car isn't it my best FE with the OHC was 17.3 with 4 people and boot loaded with luggage + ac on the partially bumpy route from Kerala to Bangalore.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:13   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
The OHC is truly a remarkable car isn't it my best FE with the OHC was 17.3 with 4 people and boot loaded with luggage + ac on the partially bumpy route from Kerala to Bangalore.
I also own one and have got upto 16 kmpl with 3 (2+1) on board in city driving.
But it have dropped to 11 only and I haven't tried to figure out the reason (as car is running fine). But soon it will be sorted.

Well yesterday I have replaced my Steering pump with another. (My trusted mechanic got one from mayapuri) total job costed 6K. Haven't driven much afterwards, have to see how its working.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:28   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
I also own one and have got upto 16 kmpl with 3 (2+1) on board in city driving.
But it have dropped to 11 only and I haven't tried to figure out the reason (as car is running fine). But soon it will be sorted.

Well yesterday I have replaced my Steering pump with another. (My trusted mechanic got one from mayapuri) total job costed 6K. Haven't driven much afterwards, have to see how its working.
I've never reached those numbers in city driving, my tops in the city is 11, 12 if without AC.. my city average is usually around 10. I think it has got to do with the 15inchers - too big..
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 10:38   #1301
BANNED

I recently did 500+ kms on a full tank. Filled her up with 39 litres of fuel. This was on the morning last week when I went to Pune. Drove down the expressway, drove around Pune city for two days or so, drove back to Mumbai on the expressway, and been driving in the city. All this with the ac on.
I was wondering what the capacity of the fuel tank is. I think it's 45 litres but I'm not too sure. I wanted to know if I coast, does the fuel get cut off or is the fuel still being supplied to the engine. I have read about coasting on the forums but was wondering whether the Ohc had the fuel cutoff thingy when the accelerator is not pressed.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 14:04   #1302

[quote=ankitahuja;2951552

Check the mechanical parts. Could the dampers be shooting oil, or the axle?

Do these splashes come everytime you drive?

[/quote]

The suspensions are new.No idea about how the axle can do it. And the problem occurs only while turning on the AC.
sanket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 15:04   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I recently did 500+ kms on a full tank. Filled her up with 39 litres of fuel. This was on the morning last week when I went to Pune. Drove down the expressway, drove around Pune city for two days or so, drove back to Mumbai on the expressway, and been driving in the city. All this with the ac on.
I was wondering what the capacity of the fuel tank is. I think it's 45 litres but I'm not too sure. I wanted to know if I coast, does the fuel get cut off or is the fuel still being supplied to the engine. I have read about coasting on the forums but was wondering whether the Ohc had the fuel cutoff thingy when the accelerator is not pressed.
Zero fuel is injected during engine braking. You have to leave the car in gear and the clutch engaged. Pressing the clutch pedal will require the ECU to inject some fuel to keep the engine running.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 15:12   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Zero fuel is injected during engine braking. You have to leave the car in gear and the clutch engaged. Pressing the clutch pedal will require the ECU to inject some fuel to keep the engine running.
Hey Pranav...i agree that some fuel will be injected when the clutch pedal is pressed.

But are you sure that no fuel is injected during engine braking?
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 17:43   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Yes, very sure. Closed throttle, high vacuum and higher-than-idle revs automatically puts the ECU into fuelcut mode. I could've just said "Yes" but the spam filter won't let me reply with less than 20 characters.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote