Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th November 2012, 21:10   #1306
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
I am slightly confused here. I have an OHC 1.5 Exi and when i checked the old recommended tyre up-size chart, it said that the correct upsize was as you mentioned 185/65-R14. THe OHC Vtec (which i assume had the same body parts except the awesome 1.5Vtec engine) came with 175/65-R14 tyres have an upsize of 185/60-R14.
So can i go for any of the above 2 R14 sizes (Conveniently forgetting the odometer calibrations) ?
Still haven't decided on which tyre brand though !
You are absolutely correct about the tyre size difference between the Vtec (175/65/14) and the non Vtec (175/70/13) OHC. This leads to a different result when checking out the correct up size options.

I discussed this with our tyre guru and he has also assured that running the 185/65 profile is better in 14" since a 60 profile is too susceptible.

Difference between a 60 and a 65 profile is minimal anyway and practical knowledge works here so no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I also own one and have got upto 16 kmpl with 3 (2+1) on board in city driving.
But it have dropped to 11 only and I haven't tried to figure out the reason (as car is running fine). But soon it will be sorted.

Well yesterday I have replaced my Steering pump with another. (My trusted mechanic got one from mayapuri) total job costed 6K. Haven't driven much afterwards, have to see how its working.
Who's your trusted mechanic? A busted steering column will always give that 'bad suspension' feel till you get it sorted so good that you got this cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yes, very sure. Closed throttle, high vacuum and higher-than-idle revs automatically puts the ECU into fuelcut mode. I could've just said "Yes" but the spam filter won't let me reply with less than 20 characters.
I had been clutching a lot before since the jerks and misfires used to happen in my car and can now understand the drop in FE! Thanks man.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 21:18   #1307
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
You are absolutely correct about the tyre size difference between the Vtec (175/65/14) and the non Vtec (175/70/13) OHC. This leads to a different result when checking out the correct up size options.
I discussed this with our tyre guru and he has also assured that running the 185/65 profile is better in 14" since a 60 profile is too susceptible.
Difference between a 60 and a 65 profile is minimal anyway and practical knowledge works here so no issues.
Thanks dude.
Got the calculator out and went ahead. Got new footwear for my sweetheart.
A few mm increase in ground clearance in the city of speed breakers is always good.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_2012_11_03_0280_1.jpg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_2012_11_03_0283_1.jpg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_2012_11_03_0286_1.jpg  

1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-img_2012_11_03_0307_1.jpg  

_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 22:21   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Who's your trusted mechanic? A busted steering column will always give that 'bad suspension' feel till you get it sorted so good that you got this cleared.
I don't have a bad suspension, it only stiff because of TRW shock I have installed, as they are hard for Indian roads.
My steering was quite tight to move with sound from steering pump. The sound used to increase as I turn the wheel. Now after pump replacement, sound ain't there and the steering is turning fine.

What was culprit behind the jerks and miss fire?
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 23:03   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Thanks dude.
Got the calculator out and went ahead. Got new footwear for my sweetheart.
A few mm increase in ground clearance in the city of speed breakers is always good.
Nice work, looking good. Details please.

Quote:
I don't have a bad suspension, it only stiff because of TRW shock I have installed, as they are hard for Indian roads.
My steering was quite tight to move with sound from steering pump. The sound used to increase as I turn the wheel. Now after pump replacement, sound ain't there and the steering is turning fine.

What was culprit behind the jerks and miss fire?
Maybe the fried valves, the TB I still dont know
Old 5th November 2012, 23:46   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Nice work, looking good. Details please.
Got 4 Yokohama A Drives and Neo Alloys .
Size of the burnt hole in the pocket = 31.5 k
_raviShankar_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 10:03   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the fried valves, the TB I still dont know
Where are you planning to get this checked & sorted? Do share with us.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:11   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Where are you planning to get this checked & sorted? Do share with us.
Arre! Got it all cleared with the semi rebuild man! Just running in and taking it easy for 1k kms. Then will unleash and see how good the work is. I will also get a compression test done and see where the engine quality stands.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:10   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre! Got it all cleared with the semi rebuild man! Just running in and taking it easy for 1k kms. Then will unleash and see how good the work is. I will also get a compression test done and see where the engine quality stands.
You had used that Xado stuff on your car right? How did it fare? Did it long last or just a false impression. Asking this as my cousin has picked few of those stuff from the US. I might get some from him if its genuinely true.
Desmosedici is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 17:23   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Got it all cleared with the semi rebuild man! Just running in and taking it easy for 1k kms. I will also get a compression test done and see where the engine quality stands.
Okey great, its done!
Ya you have to drive with that foot ache for at least a thousand km.
Do you have any reliable place in mind to provide correct compression report. I had got the compression test done in delhi but not sure whether the figures are correct or not!

This question of mine is for all fellas.
How do we got to know if our valves, valve seat ain't fine? Does mechanic need to open the head and check?

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2012, 23:06   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You had used that Xado stuff on your car right? How did it fare? Did it long last or just a false impression. Asking this as my cousin has picked few of those stuff from the US. I might get some from him if its genuinely true.
I had used Xado cylinder tubes before. I definitely helped I can vouch.

I have now got that Xado atomic stuff. Couldn't use it but will once I get the oil changed after 1k.

Quote:
Okey great, its done!
Ya you have to drive with that foot ache for at least a thousand km.
Do you have any reliable place in mind to provide correct compression report. I had got the compression test done in delhi but not sure whether the figures are correct or not!

This question of mine is for all fellas.
How do we got to know if our valves, valve seat ain't fine? Does mechanic need to open the head and check?

Thanks!
I am not sure bro, I go to Arush and trust him with it but this time will try a different garage in Gurgaon that I have been told about many time. Rakesh Motors in Sector 14/15.
ankitahuja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 23:28   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
I have now got that Xado atomic stuff. Couldn't use it but will once I get the oil changed after 1k.
I am not sure bro, I go to Arush and trust him with it but this time will try a different garage in Gurgaon that I have been told about many time. Rakesh Motors in Sector 14/15.
Which product of Atomic range? Why to wait for 1K?
Hey they have launched engine oils also, any feed back on them, compared to motul, hlix and castrol. I feel like using it but have apprehensions.
There is such an extensive range of xado products with similar purpose and benefits that I end up being confused.
You seem to be using xado products much, DO provide your reviews on them.

Guru sir had recommended me too for Rakesh, Its I believe on sheetla-Mata road. Guru sir vouch for his expertise and service but don't know whether he is having equipment for compression testing.
Do share your experience Ankit.

Last edited by Honda Monk : 6th November 2012 at 23:48.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:08   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Which product of Atomic range? Why to wait for 1K?
Hey they have launched engine oils also, any feed back on them, compared to motul, hlix and castrol. I feel like using it but have apprehensions.
There is such an extensive range of xado products with similar purpose and benefits that I end up being confused.
You seem to be using xado products much, DO provide your reviews on them.

Guru sir had recommended me too for Rakesh, Its I believe on sheetla-Mata road. Guru sir vouch for his expertise and service but don't know whether he is having equipment for compression testing.
Do share your experience Ankit.
I got the XADO 1 Stage Maximum Atomic Metal Conditioner from the US.
I wrote an E-mail to XADO with my requirement, history of using the cylinder tube and engine condition etc and they recommended me this.
Name:  XADO 1 Stage Maximum Atomic Metal Conditioner.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  15.2 KB

xado_support‏

04-04-2012
Reply ▼
Виктория Слепченко
Add to contacts
To ankitahuja@hotmail.com
Sent: 04 April 2012 18:01PM
To: ankitahuja@hotmail.com
We recommend to treat the engine once with 1 Stage Maximum Atomic Metal Conditioner http://xado.us/index.php?route=produ...product_id=192
or in three stages using 3 syringes of EX 120 for gasoline engine http://xado.us/index.php?route=produ...product_id=356

Wait for 1k since I have to flush and change the engine oil after the rebuild and check tappets etc. I will add this along with the new oil.

No idea/news/information on their range of engine oils. I'd recommend you stick to the regular brands like Castrol, Shell, Mobil 1 etc. Not to forget that there is an extensive duplication in Mobil 1 synthetic oils.
I am planning to switch to full synthetic (Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra) when I get the oil changed.

Guruji recommends Rakesh Motors, yes. I have colleagues who visit him and are happy. I will share my experience here after I have paid him a visit post the oil change etc.

Can anyone recommend what else is to be ensured/done apart from the oil change and tappet check during the 1k service (after rebuild).

Last edited by ankitahuja : 7th November 2012 at 16:09.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 18:26   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Not to forget that there is an extensive duplication in Mobil 1 synthetic oils.
Guruji recommends Rakesh Motors, yes. I have colleagues who visit him and are happy. I will share my experience here after I have paid him a visit post the oil change etc.
Can anyone recommend what else is to be ensured/done apart from the oil change and tappet check during the 1k service (after rebuild).
Well nothing can match the castrol duplicacy. Market is flooded with it. It is so much and so fine that only a keen eye can catch the spurious one.
I am too planning to switch to Shell Helix HX5 (I stick to semi synthetic as I will in any case change oil after every 7.5K considering the age of engine).

Yes do share your experience. I though of giving him a try, even talked to Mr Rakesh once (he appeared genuine) BUT I stay in south Delhi and his workshop is 30 km straight so couldn't go.

I believe one only need oil change and tappet setting as it's the only thing done even in new car's first service.

There is doubt I have, A friend has recently bought a new Brio and his first service is at 1K, which DOES NOT include OIL CHANGE. Oil change is only after 10K. IS IT SO?
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 18:39   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
There is doubt I have, A friend has recently bought a new Brio and his first service is at 1K, which DOES NOT include OIL CHANGE. Oil change is only after 10K. IS IT SO?
Yes, I own a BRIO as well and that's their service setting. Oil change only at 10,000 or 6 months.

http://www.cardekho.com/honda-brio/service-cost.htm
Old 7th November 2012, 20:15   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yes, very sure. Closed throttle, high vacuum and higher-than-idle revs automatically puts the ECU into fuelcut mode. I could've just said "Yes" but the spam filter won't let me reply with less than 20 characters.
thanks,
do you know for sure if Alto has a similar system?
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote