Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th May 2009, 13:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Replace the drive shaft boot. Is it coming on both sides or only one side ? And is the sound a little squeaky ?
There is no squeaky sound at all. Just the sound you usually get of the wheel bearings.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 13:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Dippy - pls post your findings after you check at the workshop - i will be checking mine in another 15 days since I am relocating. so will get it checked in Chennai

im quite sure it could be drive shaft only because if its rear bearings, you can quite easily figure out the sound is coming from the rear and not front. also rear bearing issue can be easily spotted by just jacking up the car and spinning the wheels. you can get genuine HONDA OEM bearing ( NTN ) in the after market. costs around Rs1500-1600 a piece
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 12:04   #123
Senior - BHPian

Dippy have u managed to fix the "bearing type" sound problem ? pls post your findings
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 14:47   #124
abk
BHPian

Default OHC II minor niggles

Folks, seeking your expert advices on the following problems with my OHC II, 1.5Exi, 2000 model, 91k kms:
  1. Metallic sound from the front right wheel on applying brakes - will this need replacement of brake pad(s) or machining of wheel drum, or..?
  2. Very tight clutch
  3. The water jet outlet to the windscreen isn't working (just a timid weak jet from the left outlet) though the pump works & water tank is full
  4. O2 sensor replacement locally, would shudder to think have to shell out Rs 17k for getting it done from Honda service centre!!
  5. Where to procure the right side headlamp assembly locally (has grown old the reflector looks faded which results in less light output on the roads)
  6. Projector HIDs for OHC
  7. Contact details/address of expert local Honda city mechanics in NCR
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:04   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Folks, seeking your expert advices on the following problems with my OHC II, 1.5Exi, 2000 model, 91k kms:
  1. Metallic sound from the front right wheel on applying brakes - will this need replacement of brake pad(s) or machining of wheel drum, or..?
  2. Very tight clutch
  3. The water jet outlet to the windscreen isn't working (just a timid weak jet from the left outlet) though the pump works & water tank is full
  4. O2 sensor replacement locally, would shudder to think have to shell out Rs 17k for getting it done from Honda service centre!!
  5. Where to procure the right side headlamp assembly locally (has grown old the reflector looks faded which results in less light output on the roads)
1. Skim the discs. Check the pads.
2. How many kms have you done? Tell the mechanic to adjust it or you need to change the plate. Depends. You need to describe in detail the odo, servicing, etc of your car.
3. Take a needle and clean the jet tips. Check the pipes leading from the reservoir to the nozzle. They could be clogged or leaking leading to drop in pressure. Get them changed.
4. Delhi guys can help here
5. You get 3 types of headlight assemblies. China ones for 2000, taiwan for 3000 and OEM for 4000. Delhi guys can suggest where to procure stuff.
6. Avoid projectors. Use a decent bulb and relay.
7. Ankit and narayan answer him please

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st June 2009 at 16:07. Reason: typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:46   #126
BHPian

Quote:
  2. Very tight clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1. Skim the discs. Check the pads.
2. How many kms have you done? Tell the mechanic to adjust it or you need to change the plate. Depends. You need to describe in detail the odo, servicing, etc of your car.
3. Take a needle and clean the jet tips. Check the pipes leading from the reservoir to the nozzle. They could be clogged or leaking leading to drop in pressure. Get them changed.
4. Delhi guys can help here
5. You get 3 types of headlight assemblies. China ones for 2000, taiwan for 3000 and OEM for 4000. Delhi guys can suggest where to procure stuff.
6. Avoid projectors. Use a decent bulb and relay.
7. Ankit and narayan answer him please
Good suggestions Tejas.

My 2 cents:

1. Ditto as above - Get brake pads checked/replaced and get disc skimmed / polished. OE pads are Nissin and other popular ones are KBX. Search the forum for reviews on these.
2. If just the pedal is hard and the clutch works fine, get only the clutch cable replaced. I did the same. Are you running the stock clutch btw?
3. Ditto as above - Also put warm / hot water in the reservoir and use the washer, it will loosen up a lot of dust. Simplest way is to use a needle and open the washer nozzles.
4. O2 Sensor will be sourced for you ASAP.
5. RH assembly is about INR 1200 for DEPO, which comes closest to the OE Stanley.
6. Projector set up on the OHC is a big no! It's a custom job, which IMHO is not advisable for the OHC. As suggested, use a wiring kit and relay and upgrade to 100/90 bulbs.
7. Autopsyche/Arush (Gurgaon) is where Narayan, Abhik and I get all the work done. For H.A.S.S. - Have heard decent reviews about Pearl Honda from Narayan.

OT: Narayan has shifted back to Chennai

Last edited by ankitahuja : 1st June 2009 at 16:49.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 17:13   #127
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Very tight clutch
I have been facing the same problem for the last two months. My car has done around 95,000 kms and the clutch has given up. The honda guys say that the plates are fine and do need to be replaced and the clutch cable has already been replaced but it just doesn't seem to work???
Ankoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 17:31   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankoor View Post
I have been facing the same problem for the last two months. My car has done around 95,000 kms and the clutch has given up. The honda guys say that the plates are fine and do need to be replaced and the clutch cable has already been replaced but it just doesn't seem to work???
Please clear the above line. Is the clutch ok or not ok?

When was the clutch cable replaced? Did you get it adjusted?

You can also see if the the springs and hinges need greasing (use WD40)
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:28   #129
abk
BHPian

Dear ankitahuja & Tejas@perioimpl, thanks so much for your prompt assistance & suggestions! Will try them and let you know how they go. Can't get my hands to the wheels currently because of the surgical process that i had to undergo :(
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:59   #130
BHPian

Hey abk - Hope everything is ok! What surgery?

The O2 sensor is available for more than I posted before. Sent you a PM.
Old 4th June 2009, 00:14   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I changed my front wheel bearings 2 weeks ago. While driving still get a bearing sort of noise which becomes lesser as the car goes faster and resurfaces again when I slow down the car. What could this be? Ideas anyone?
@ Dippy: Any final diagnosis / solution regarding the noise yet? Would love to know...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 17:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@ Dippy: Any final diagnosis / solution regarding the noise yet? Would love to know...

Jitu (Ford Rocam) took a ride in my car a few days ago. He said it is the front bearings. I took it to my mechanic jacked up the front wheel and accelerated. There seems to be noise from the front itself. He said its the bearings. I heard it too. So I guess its faulty bearings. Getting a change by the weekend and then will post here.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 18:13   #133
abk
BHPian

Got my car serviced from ACE Honda NOIDA and then took it to a local garage in Sector 15, NOIDA and did:
  • Engine and gearbox mounting replacement - 3 mountings were replaced at total part cost of approx 2k
  • Front right headlamp assembly completely replaced as the original headlamp had faded and turned a little yellowish (afterall, 10 years old now). Depo purchased from Sector 15 NOIDA at 1.6k
  • Front wheel brake discs machined and polished by lathe and brake pads rubbed with sandpaper
Since the above 3 repairs/replacements I am experiencing the following problems with my car:
  • There is only a very marginal improvment in the engine vibration or noise due as felt in the driving position
  • When the AC is switched on (even with the fan position at 1 - the lowest) there is a significant increase in the overall vibration. The steering vibrates a lot. This problem wasn't bad earlier but is now very very significant
  • Upon applying the brakes even lightly at speeds above 90kmph the brake pedal vibrates and feels shaky on the foot. Am nevous of applying the brakes even moderately at speeds of 100-110kmph range
Folks, any clues what have gone wayward during the engine mounting and gearbox mounting replacement and machining of brakes?

Edited: Adding one more problem - filled the engine with synthetic oil and got the air & fuel filters replaced at ACE Honda. Since then the FE has gone down drastically (from 14 to 10ish)!

Last edited by abk : 18th June 2009 at 18:14.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:16   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When the AC is switched on (even with the fan position at 1 - the lowest) there is a significant increase in the overall vibration.
Check AC compressor, it may have gone for a toss. You may need to get it changed.

Quote:
Upon applying the brakes even lightly at speeds above 90kmph the brake pedal vibrates and feels shaky on the foot. Am nevous of applying the brakes even moderately at speeds of 100-110kmph range

You have just got your discs skimmed. Drive gently without rapid braking for 80-100kms first. Let the discs and pads align properly.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 22:07   #135
BHPian

Did u get tyre alignment and balancing done after all this?