Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th November 2012, 20:52   #1366
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Here's the approximate costs for the work so far... for those of you'll who wanted to check up prices etc..
Depo lights are too expensive, 8 month back I had bought here in delhi for 2700 for set. OE stanley was costing 3800. Other items seems to be at par.
I am also to go for some mechanical works. so far the pending jobs include front wheel bearing replacement, clutch cable, steering column is giving some trouble too - making turning tight and makes little kat-kat sound sometimes.

Another problem is I hear some khar-khar sound which seems dependent to the rpm, in lower rpms the sound is more prominent as the khar khar is at more interval and at high rpm, since the interval is lower the sound gets mixed with engine sound and becomes almost indistinguishable.
Can somebody put light on the issue!?!
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 21:06   #1367
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Depo lights are too expensive, 8 month back I had bought here in delhi for 2700 for set. OE stanley was costing 3800. Other items seems to be at par.
I am also to go for some mechanical works. so far the pending jobs include front wheel bearing replacement, clutch cable, steering column is giving some trouble too - making turning tight and makes little kat-kat sound sometimes.

Another problem is I hear some khar-khar sound which seems dependent to the rpm, in lower rpms the sound is more prominent as the khar khar is at more interval and at high rpm, since the interval is lower the sound gets mixed with engine sound and becomes almost indistinguishable.
Can somebody put light on the issue!?!
I got the DEPO's from Shetty Motors. He said the Stanley one's were much harder to get these days.

Also with DEPO's apparently there are 2 origins of manufacture.. one is China the other is Taiwan. The ones i got are made in Taiwan.. the cheaper ones are the Chinese ones.

But I really am surprised at 2700 a pair!! it seem's almost too good to be true!

The kat kat sound you hear when turning indicates you need your wheel joint bearing and suspension work to be done including the axle boot im guessing. Get it inspected & see what comes of it.

No idea about the other sound.. does it only happen when you decelerate or lift off the throttle??
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 23:15   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
But I really am surprised at 2700 a pair!! it seem's almost too good to be true!
The kat kat sound you hear when turning indicates you need your wheel joint bearing and suspension work to be done including the axle boot im guessing. Get it inspected & see what comes of it.
No idea about the other sound.. does it only happen when you decelerate or lift off the throttle??
Mine are original taiwan made (I got them in the Depo box with Taiwan made written).

I am dropping my car tomorrow at garage to get it inspected, lets see whats in surprise.

The other sound is always there, its more prominent on cold start and appears to be coming from where the timing is located, have to get it checked too.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 00:08   #1369
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit

He's a painter who works along with my mechanic at the garage.. Although he did complain that he severely underestimate the cost of doing my work.. on afterthought he was saying it was more of a 7k-8k job :P

Considering i hadn't included the wheel caps painting when i first agreed on the job and the cost.. i guess i will consider paying him a bit more.. but lets see

If you want the full details of where to get it done and the mechanics details.. i can PM you.. or if you're free tomorrow, you can meet me at the garage when i go to check up on my car.
Damn, just read your post. Sure you can pm the details to me. I'll check em out this coming weekend. Really need to get my rust issues sorted.
raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:08   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the approximate costs for the work so far... for those of you'll who wanted to check up prices etc..

excuse any mistakes in part names.. could barely make out the writing on the bill

Wow the polishing job looks superb , how much ?
Good to see your getting your OHC all sorted now , eager to see pics of the overcoat please post them soon.

Also where you getting the work done from ?

Good Luck !

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 19th November 2012 at 10:10.
ryan_wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:45   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Wow the polishing job looks superb , how much ?
Good to see your getting your OHC all sorted now , eager to see pics of the overcoat please post them soon.

Also where you getting the work done from ?

Good Luck !
Ryan, the polishing job i did was for both.. the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold cover plate (which didn't get back in time when i took the shot). If I'm not wrong i paid about 500.. but i'll recheck and see what the total came up to for doing both of them & let you know.

Waiting to pick up my beauty as well & will post pics of the job when completed.. though i wish i had taken more pics of the "before" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Damn, just read your post. Sure you can pm the details to me. I'll check em out this coming weekend. Really need to get my rust issues sorted.

Will PM both you & Ryan with the details in a short while.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:39   #1372
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
The piece de la creme Got the Engine tapped head cover (i hope that's what it's called ) buffed up to shine like a gem Was really happy to see the result. The exhaust manifold cover was also sent for plating and polishing (as well as getting the screws changed as they were rusted in place).. but it wasn't back by the time i went to check up on her.
Oh WoW! That looks so awesomely amazing! How much did it cost to get it done? And could you please post pics of the exhaust manifold too?
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 17:27   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
excuse any mistakes in part names.. could barely make out the writing on the bill
Rs 5000 for an overcoat. Now i am waiting for your pics man. Thats a drool worthy price for an overcoat. I am might be in line once you post the pics.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 19:27   #1374
BHPian

Thanks.. just got back. Final work n checks were still going on but boy oh boy did she look smashing!!

For the touch up.. here's what was covered
1. I had a big patch on the bonnet right side caused due to some idiot in my building a few months ago who threw something out his window (still don't know who it was) but anyways.. it was sufficient to cause a deep scrape, dent & went down to the metal/base layer itself. Measured approx 12cmx5cm
2. Bumper.. front & rear had black scrub marks from stupid bikers & one gash on the left side under the near the left fog cutout.. which was my laziness to blame over a particularly steep exit from the office parking ramp.
3. Right drivers doorsill was a bit bent n scraped - same clarelessness getting off the parking ramp in office.
4. scratches along the doors left n right side.. kids in the building
5. Wheel covers --- muwahahahaha.. this was something extra i threw in but boy does that silver shine tickle me pink!!
6. Polish
7. Teflon coating

here are a few pics :

Finally!! Gone is the dent and ugly patch on my bonnet!! She looks gorgeous now The color matching is almost spot on & I was hard pressed to say the entire bumper was worked on!

The right rear tail lamp was worse for the wear and will be changed.. the one on the left was another treasure from chor bazaar.. :P

Rear bumper color matching was near perfect as well!

The oooh so lovely DEPO's ... don't we love shiny things?? :P

@desmosedici : it was not a full overcoat.. it was just touch ups & repaint of only those areas where the scratches were deep apart from the damage on the bonnet. Of course the entire bumpers F+R were repainted along with the dent correction and painting of the doorsill on the drivers side.

Nevertheless i can pass on the details of my mechanic and the garage which i've already sent raycers and ryan.

@di1in : posted the pics. Cost about 500

Last edited by Vandit : 19th November 2012 at 19:30.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 20:17   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. just got back. Final work n checks were still going on but boy oh boy did she look smashing!!

@di1in : posted the pics. Cost about 500
Pass me your painters contact man. Looks good. Overall car looks neat and clean. Fresh Look.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:28   #1376
BANNED

Quote:
Wow definitely does look smashing. Looks like she's just got off the showroom floor. My city is the same color. This particular color has a different look at night.
I love how the exhaust cover and engine cover look. When I find time I'm definitely going to head there and fix some things up for my Ohc.
Have you ever contemplated on putting alloys ? The paint coat looks like its been done all over. Great job overall.
Just one more question..what type of paint has he done on those required areas. My knowledge is peanuts in that area but I'm aware of a bit such as 2k, or like the make I.e 3m etc . Did you find any visible difference in the new coat and old coat ?

Last edited by raycers_honda : 19th November 2012 at 22:31.
Old 19th November 2012, 23:45   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One thing needs to get corrected here.
The 1.5 badge comes before the Exi.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:05   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
One thing needs to get corrected here.
The 1.5 badge comes before the Exi.
Correct

Shetty Motors didn't have the 1.3 Badge.. so this 1.5 which was lying around for my other family i-DSI ZX was used.. but the painter mistakenly put it in the wrong place.

Will correct it when i get the 1.3 Badge.. will try again for it today at Opera House.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:37   #1379
BANNED

Quote:

Correct

Shetty Motors didn't have the 1.3 Badge.. so this 1.5 which was lying around for my other family i-DSI ZX was used.. but the painter mistakenly put it in the wrong place.

Will correct it when i get the 1.3 Badge.. will try again for it today at Opera House.
There is a shop in opera house which has it. I had got mine from there. I had got the exi sticker and the Honda front grill logo. And a ford emblem for my bro's ikon. I was surprised because he had many of the badges. I can't remember the shops name or number as I got this done three years ago.
But it's some where on the right side if your entering from charming road side and the left side if your entering from SVP road side.
It's a small shop with an old gentleman who sits at the desk inside who is the owner of the shop. It's somewhere bang in the middle. Alternatively you can also try chadda motors which is on the main SVP road.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:04   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct

The 1.3 Honda City Type 2,never had an 1.3 badge.It was always badged EXI or DX.
Honda badged the City Type 2 Non Vtec 1.5 engine,1.5 EXI.

The City ZX too was just EXI or GXI or VTEC badged,no 1.5 there.

Last edited by cityvic : 20th November 2012 at 12:06.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote