Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th November 2012, 13:53   #1381
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
The 1.3 Honda City Type 2,never had an 1.3 badge.It was always badged EXI or DX.
Honda badged the City Type 2 Non Vtec 1.5 engine,1.5 EXI.

The City ZX too was just EXI or GXI or VTEC badged,no 1.5 there.
k didn't know that prolly explains why i didn't get the 1.3 lettering from Shetty Motors! But i had the 1.5 badge lying around with me for some reason even before when we picked up a pre-owned ZX.. will have to check with my aunt why..or unless the painter fit the new one from the entire monogram set which came from Shetty Motors.. from the shine i guess he used the entire monogram set.

I have 3 Honda's in the family..

1. 2000 Type II 1.3 Exi - which is with me
2. iDSI ZX - driven by my aunt
3. VTEC ZX - driven by my bro-in-law

its most likely then that the painter just stuck the entire monogram set not knowing for sure like me if there was a 1.3 badge! lol Thanks for the GK though! You always learn something new each day!

Last edited by Vandit : 20th November 2012 at 13:54.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:21   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post

Another problem is I hear some khar-khar sound which seems dependent to the rpm, in lower rpms the sound is more prominent as the khar khar is at more interval and at high rpm, since the interval is lower the sound gets mixed with engine sound and becomes almost indistinguishable.
Can somebody put light on the issue!?!
Is this resolved or identified?
I faced this problem - and realized that it was because the exhaust had rusted and loose pipe(s) was/were rattling.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 15:13   #1383
BHPian

Hi guys. This is slightly off topic!
Is it advisable to buy the OHC now? It's almost 10 years since that car was launched + it's out of production! Is it worth buying a preowned OHC now? I also have the pre worshipped i10 in mind.

Any suggestions?
saadat1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 17:16   #1384
BHPian

[quote=Vandit;2966587]Thanks.. just got back. Final work n checks were still going on but boy oh boy did she look smashing!!

She Looks beautiful !! Thanks for posting the pics soon,
the depo's look excellent !

Ever considered a bumper spoiler the vtec one is available for 2k
Overall the job looks well done the bumpers are aligned well.

Polish her every 2-3 weeks yourself ! use collinite 845.

An edited pic of ur Car
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more-20121120146648.jpg  

ryan_wheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 19:26   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
k didn't know that prolly explains why i didn't get the 1.3 lettering from Shetty Motors! But i had the 1.5 badge lying around with me for some reason even before when we picked up a pre-owned ZX.. will have to check with my aunt why..or unless the painter fit the new one from the entire monogram set which came from Shetty Motors.. from the shine i guess he used the entire monogram set.

I have 3 Honda's in the family..

1. 2000 Type II 1.3 Exi - which is with me
2. iDSI ZX - driven by my aunt
3. VTEC ZX - driven by my bro-in-law

its most likely then that the painter just stuck the entire monogram set not knowing for sure like me if there was a 1.3 badge! lol Thanks for the GK though! You always learn something new each day!
Yup,he must have used the entire set.
Visually,your car looks like a 1.5 only with those 1.5 spec wheelcaps.
Thats the only way one can distinguish between a 1.3 and 1.5 externally apart from the badging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Is it advisable to buy the OHC now? It's almost 10 years since that car was launched + it's out of production! Is it worth buying a preowned OHC now? I also have the pre worshipped i10 in mind.

Any suggestions?
Have been using a Honda City since 2002.Parts have never been an issue.
The dealership has mostly has all the parts and if they dont they come under a week or two on order.
Cant say about the aftermarket scene as I only send my car to the dealership for mechanical work.

If you can find a well kept car.Go for it.
A friend of mine is selling his VTEC.
Check out the TBHP Classifields.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...nda/City.html/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post

What is a bumper spoiler of the VTEC?
You mean the boot spoiler or the bumper skirts?Would love to get my hands on a Original VTEC spoiler for 2k.

Last edited by cityvic : 20th November 2012 at 19:29.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 19:48   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
She Looks beautiful !! Thanks for posting the pics soon,
the depo's look excellent !

Overall the job looks well done the bumpers are aligned well.

Polish her every 2-3 weeks yourself ! use collinite 845.

An edited pic of ur Car
Thanks Ryan.. i think i'm gonna use that for my facebook cover! :P BTW I got your PM.. when is a good time to call you? Need to talk about that backlighting.

Also just like citivic said.. you mean the VTEC spoiler on the boot? or the full skirts??

Either ways.. let me know for 2k it sounds good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Yup,he must have used the entire set.
Visually,your car looks like a 1.5 only with those 1.5 spec wheelcaps.
Thats the only way one can distinguish between a 1.3 and 1.5 externally apart from the badging.
Thanks .. I checked at home.. turns out my aunt had got the old monograms replaced once before.. but didnt use the "1.5" and was just lying in the glovebox.

I tried hard for the Original 1.3 wheelcaps but just could not get them. Eventually i just had to give up.. Either ways, i think the 1.5's caps look much better. Also for the condition that i got them in.. for 300 bucks it was a steal! it's amazing how some good light sanding down and crack filling with a nice fresh overcoat of silver makes these wheelcaps come to life!
Old 20th November 2012, 23:29   #1387
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Another problem is I hear some khar-khar sound which seems dependent to the rpm, in lower rpms the sound is more prominent as the khar khar is at more interval and at high rpm, since the interval is lower the sound gets mixed with engine sound and becomes almost indistinguishable.
Can somebody put light on the issue!?!
Is it coming from the speedo or steering area? And is the sound frequency increasing with engine rpm, or speed of the vehicle?

It could be the cable that is connected to the odometer -- i had that problem once and had to replace the cable. Alternatively, you can disconnect the cable but this would disable the speedo too. Hope this helps
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 07:23   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Definetly worth it if you can spot a good car at a good price. I recently sold my 11 yr old OHC to another petrol head. The car was in a very good condition

In Chennai, parts is not a problem at all. You can get almost every part at GP Road - Mahavirs. Not that the OHC requires spares on and off. In my 7 yrs of ownership out of the cars age of 11, I have hardly changed anything significant apart from regular wear and tear parts. My clutch was still OE when I sold it with good amount of life left in it.

To give you an indication of the parts availability, there is small cap that closes the hubs of the rear wheel. In Chennai , this cap gets rusted easily due to the weather and once its rusted , it exposes the wheel bearings. I was even able to buy these caps for a meagre Rs15 in the after market. This should give you an indication on the parts availability
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 10:10   #1389
BHPian

Picked up my baby !! Finally after a good 11 days she's back and the initial feedback is nice & zippy.

Steering feels good & tight. Shocks seem to have suddenly come back to life.. i guess getting them serviced made a difference, but considering the front suspension got a major rebuild.. it is to be expected i guess. None of the jarring, shuddering or lateral movements comes through anymore as they used to before.

More importantly, the accelerator response is fantastic.. probably down to getting the throttle body/injectors cleaned. The new clutch & cable has eliminated the notchy feel but will probably take time to wear in and smoothen out further. The brakes take a bit of time to bite but that's probably down to the new pads taking time to scrub in. Overall, I enjoyed the drive back home. Now i need to take it on a decent highway run & see how it responds.

BTW.. my front OEM Clarion coaxials gave up the ghost. So i picked up a pair of Powerbass S-522 full range coaxials as replacement. Pretty impressed with the SQ, though i wouldn't say they are anything near top class.. they're pretty good step up from stock OEM stuff. I guess if i playback some high quality mp3's the SQ will be pretty much par for the course.

So for the remaining expenses:
Final Painting cost : 5500/-
Mechanic's labour : 5000/- (though he charged me just 4750.. i rounded it off)
Powerbass S522 : 1200 (including installation)

Pending:
1. New Headlight Bulbs -- was thinking 100/90 Philips Essential Vision (any recommendations?? The current Rally 130w are a bit too hot i feel for the lights.. dont want to risk destroying the new Depos)
2. Interior Shampoo/Cleaning/Polishing... Can anyone suggest where i can get this done in mumbai ?? I have fabric seats and side panel textures.. not leather.. so they're quite soiled n dirty after being to the service n back. I need to get them shampooed /vaccumed etc.. but have never got them done before as they were laminated with plastic which i removed a while back (BIG MISTAKE!).. any car interior cleaning suggestion would be helpful!
Old 21st November 2012, 11:39   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Did you CNGed it yet?

Nope not yet. Am looking at doing some preventive maintenance before that.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 14:04   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
2. Interior Shampoo/Cleaning/Polishing... Can anyone suggest where i can get this done in mumbai ?? I have fabric seats and side panel textures.. not leather.. so they're quite soiled n dirty after being to the service n back. I need to get them shampooed /vaccumed etc.. but have never got them done before as they were laminated with plastic which i removed a while back (BIG MISTAKE!).. any car interior cleaning suggestion would be helpful!
Try out Kamyo Detailers.
Check out the TBHP Directory for more details of it.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 15:48   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan

Definetly worth it if you can spot a good car at a good price. I recently sold my 11 yr old OHC to another petrol head. The car was in a very good condition

In Chennai, parts is not a problem at all. You can get almost every part at GP Road - Mahavirs. Not that the OHC requires spares on and off. In my 7 yrs of ownership out of the cars age of 11, I have hardly changed anything significant apart from regular wear and tear parts. My clutch was still OE when I sold it with good amount of life left in it.

To give you an indication of the parts availability, there is small cap that closes the hubs of the rear wheel. In Chennai , this cap gets rusted easily due to the weather and once its rusted , it exposes the wheel bearings. I was even able to buy these caps for a meagre Rs15 in the after market. This should give you an indication on the parts availability
Wow! My dad was actually telling that Honda City usually has high maintenance and low mileage. But, looks like it'll be the same amount of upkeep cost like any hatchback. You didnt face even a single big issue in 7 years? Are you a sedated or spirited driver? What was the mileage like?
Old 21st November 2012, 19:37   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! My dad was actually telling that Honda City usually has high maintenance and low mileage. But, looks like it'll be the same amount of upkeep cost like any hatchback. You didnt face even a single big issue in 7 years? Are you a sedated or spirited driver? What was the mileage like?
Sorry but your dad has mistaken this for another car

yes - not a single big issue in 7 years and before that as well with the previous owner. In fact, let me add that 1.5 years into the my ownership ( around 5.5 years of total age of the car ), the stock exhaust got corroded - maybe thanks to Chennai weather also , I went for automech FFE with a custom header. Also I was running on 195/55/15 upsize from around the same time. So the car ran on these mods alone for 5.5 years and no issues.

On FE - let me add that Chennai has among the worst City driving cycles I have seen ( mearning very little opportunity to be in 4/5th gears ) and mostly in 2/3rd gears, I could extract 10kmpl with very sedate driving. With an occasional rush at the signals, could manage 9.25kmpl.

I have fully enjoyed the mods done without unduly abusing the car. Taking car into the redline is not necessarily abusing.

Hope this helps.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 21:35   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan

Sorry but your dad has mistaken this for another car

yes - not a single big issue in 7 years and before that as well with the previous owner. In fact, let me add that 1.5 years into the my ownership ( around 5.5 years of total age of the car ), the stock exhaust got corroded - maybe thanks to Chennai weather also , I went for automech FFE with a custom header. Also I was running on 195/55/15 upsize from around the same time. So the car ran on these mods alone for 5.5 years and no issues.

On FE - let me add that Chennai has among the worst City driving cycles I have seen ( mearning very little opportunity to be in 4/5th gears ) and mostly in 2/3rd gears, I could extract 10kmpl with very sedate driving. With an occasional rush at the signals, could manage 9.25kmpl.

I have fully enjoyed the mods done without unduly abusing the car. Taking car into the redline is not necessarily abusing.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot! That was quite a lot of info!

10kmpl in city for such a big car is amazing. Even my Santro returns only 6-7kmpl (sedated) and 5kmpl(aggressive) + i dont use the AC at all.

I guess , from your response, i can surely convince my dad to get the OHC! But, will have to hunt a lot for a clean VTec.
Thanks once again!
Old 21st November 2012, 22:45   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Is this resolved or identified?
I faced this problem - and realized that it was because the exhaust had rusted and loose pipe(s) was/were rattling.
It is there, I couldn't drop my car to workshop but going tomorrow. The sound seems to be some faulty bearing doesn't sound as rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Is it coming from the speedo or steering area? And is the sound frequency increasing with engine rpm, or speed of the vehicle?

It could be the cable that is connected to the odometer -- i had that problem once and had to replace the cable. Alternatively, you can disconnect the cable but this would disable the speedo too. Hope this helps
It is coming from near the steering pump (but not from the pump).

I am going tomorrow so lets see what come out. Will post the updates.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote