Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th December 2012, 12:13   #1426
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimaate View Post
Hi All,
I recently bought an OHC Vtech 2003 make, from a dealer in Mumbai and now have ran into a problem of broken crank pulley. Being new to this forum I was searching if anyone else had the same issue, and fortunately landed on this thread.

I saw a similar issue posted by AnkitAhuja a few pages back and now I am posting mine. Many thanks to Ankit who was really helping to talk to me at 11pm in the night and explaining me his problem and how he fixed it back. I am a total novice with cars and its internals. This being my first car, I was little worried until I talked to Ankit who adviced me to post this here for more valuable suggestions.

The problem:
I last drove the car to Powai from my home in Goregaon(E) on saturday night(last weekend)when it was all fine. While returning at 3am I hit a speed breaker (which I saw very late due to bad lighting on the road) bit hardly. I was driving with my windows down an AC off. I paused for a minute after the bad bump to see if all is ok. Again started the car and headed back home. Drove back another 5kms to home and parked it. I dont recall getting any sounds after that bump and could get to home without any hassle. Only thing I worried at the time was my braking sytem which I thought needed a look.

So that day went by. The next day I started the car with AC on and it started making some noise. I was in a hurry, so I left the car and went by an Auto for the work thinking to get it checked later. Monday I did not use the car completely. Tuesday I decided to take off from office and get the car checked at Solitaire Honda(Borivali). I tried starting the car and it started making louder noise than before. I opened the bonnet to see if I caould see any issue. To my surprise I saw there are 3 belts to the right hand side of the engine very loose, almost geting out of thier pulleys. I also saw down below a broken rim from the pulley which was just hanging loose and was causing the rattling noise when I started the engine.

I called a local mechanic to have a look if he could fix the car so that I could take it to the service station. He told me that the main engine crank pulley which holds the 3 belts is broken and needs a replacement. He called up some shop in opera house and told me that it would cost about 3300 rupees to replace with new one. Then I called up Solitaire Honda to get some advice. The SA told me that its a costlier affair to replace crank pulley about 10-15K plus towing charges. After talking to him for a few minutes, he gave me frank opinion to get it replaced locally if possible as it would be cheaper. So I persisted with this local mechanic who confidently said to replace it in a day. I gave him 3500 to get the new pulley, he promptly called and ordered one.

Now the real problem starts, he started opening the bolt to which this crank pulley is attached to the engine. He tried very hard with his spanner and all to open it but failed after a number of attempts. He told me that this is the main bolt and is usually very tight and also it would not have been opened anytime before, so would take little more effort to get it loose. He went for lunch and came back after a couple of hours and continued trying to open it. Now we took the car to a nearby service area where he put it on a ramp and again tried to open. This time he got help from 2 more mechanics there but still no luck.
Now we took the car to his garage close by where he put some break oil and left to loose a bit. He tired all sorts of different tools, even beating with hammer and using a fire torch to heat it up. Nothing worked at all, and it could not be opened. Finally he told me that we'll put some oil and keep it overnight to try tomorrow. So I came back home feeling tired and a bit worried.

Next day(i.e today) I went to the office and in the afternoon called him up to get the status of the car. He said that he tried again in the morning but couldn't open it. So he ordered for a supposedly bigger and different spanner tool from Kurla from his friends garage there. He said that he'll again try with this is the evening and told me to relax and not worry at all. Now when I called him up late evening, he was still waiting for the new spanner and told me to wait for one more day. He again assured me that it will be done by tomorrow afternoon, an so here I am just waiting and hoping that it will be fixed.

In the night, I talked to Ankit who shared with me his experience with the same problem. I too fear that if the bolt gets broken in the process of opening, it would be more trouble to get the engine opened and then fix it correctly. Needless to say more money involved. Ankit already told me that the crank pulley should not cost more that 2000 bucks, for which I have already given3500Rs.

I am somehow getting a feeling that the mechanic is stalling me and will again quote me hefty sum. I wil see if he can open it in the morning without causing any damage, otherwise will get the car back and try someone else.

What should I do now? Need some advice/suggestions here. If anyone know any reliable and competent mechanic for Vtechs in Mumbai nearby Goregaon(E), I would highly appreciate that. Please let me know asap

Thanks in advance,
Vinay
Vinay,

the crank bolt is generally torqued to arnd 120+Nm. It is not a easy thing to open, esp. at a place where rusting could play a part.

I have faced this kind of an issue earlier with my Vtec and let me tell you, if that mech manages to break that bolt or some how damage the grove on the crank, you are in for a big trouble.

I am not aware of the shops in Mumbai, but get the car towed to a shop which has a pneumatic tools. Have them use the gun to loosen this bolt.

If that is not possible, then, lif the car on a ramp, use a a spanner to lock onto the bolt coupled with a long crowbar so that you can use the crow bar to lock the spanner against the ground. Now with all of this,( mind you in the reverse direction to which the engine spins.) have a guy crank the engine.. (CAUTION: remove the spark plug leads so that the engine does not start accidently). With a couple of tries, you should be able to unlock this bolt.

Always use a genuine honda crank bolt and dont go for a local one if your's has broken.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 12:59   #1427

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

@ssjr0498

Thank you for the caution and advice. Luckily I have got PranavT to help me out since he lives nearby my house. Will post back how it goes with this issue.

Any idea how much does the original Honda crank pulley costs? I called up the spare parts shop in Opera House(Shetty motors which GTO recommended). They told me to bring the sample first, so will see if I can get it there.

Thanks again.
ultimaate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 13:06   #1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
I too have taken his advice few times and appreciate Ankit for his helpful nature.
Regarding your problem you are in Bombay and there are lots OHC fellows, try contacting shantanu/desmo/PranavT to know about a good garage and spare store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
So Ankit is the official OHC trouble shooter with 24x7 services. I will also vouch for his helpful nature - sorry for going a bit OT
Yes Ankit is really helpful and he gave me PranavT's contact number. I sent a mail to Pranav at 1am last night and he too replied instantly. Luckily he lives nearby and has agreed to see the car personally. Let see how it goes today. Thank you both.

Quote:
@ultimaate - i hope the mechanic has tried spraying WD40 or similar sprays available in the market to loosen nuts
Yes, I saw he tried a spray in some white bottle, maybe you are referring to that only. Pardon me for my very poor knowledge. Hope this incident will teach me a lot.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:54   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I recently bought an OHC Vtech 2003 make, from a dealer in Mumbai and now have ran into a problem of broken crank pulley. Being new to this forum I was searching if anyone else had the same issue, and fortunately landed on this thread.

What should I do now? Need some advice/suggestions here. If anyone know any reliable and competent mechanic for Vtechs in Mumbai nearby Goregaon(E), I would highly appreciate that. Please let me know asap

Thanks in advance,
Vinay
Pranavt or KSM-Vtec, your best bet if you need Vtec info from Mumbai. They are the Vtec bosses for all your queries.

There is one garage near Poonam Nagar at Andheri east near JVLR. I used to get my car serviced from him and he does a decent job.

Quote:
I too have taken his advice few times and appreciate Ankit for his helpful nature.
Regarding your problem you are in Bombay and there are lots OHC fellows, try contacting shantanu/desmo/PranavT to know about a good garage and spare store.
Sirji, I am no expert and have no technical knowledge. Whatever little i have learned is from this forum itself.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 18:12   #1430

I met PranavT today, as he was kind enough to accompany me to the garage where my car is. He had a look and told me that the rubberseal of the crank pulley got weared off as so the outer part of the pulley came of. The good thing this is that there is no other damage and the pulley attached to the bolt is firm and not wobbling as in case of Ankit.

But the bad thing is that the crank bolt is so tight, that it could not be opened even today. Pranav told me about the crank pulley tool which comes exclusively to open this crank bolt of the honda engine. But this tool is not available here in mumbai, except for the service centers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-...e9b342&vxp=mtr
Do anyone know if I can get this here in mumbai, else I would have to get it from US which would take time. :(
Old 13th December 2012, 19:03   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks guys, I just like to share my experiences and knowledge. It'll be a waste without that isn't it!?

Quote:
So Ankit is the official OHC trouble shooter with 24x7 services. I will also vouch for his helpful nature - sorry for going a bit OT

@ultimaate - i hope the mechanic has tried spraying WD40 or similar sprays available in the market to loosen nuts
Haha, 'official' OHC troubleshooter I like it!

WD40 does nothing to it, I emptied 2 cans and nothing made it move. The problem is, once the crank pulley gets loose, it runs on the crank/keyhole in such a way that it can very well change angles and skip a thread or 2. That's the worst situation for it. Else, the crank bolt is not a real issue to be opened.

Quote:
@ssjr0498

Thank you for the caution and advice. Luckily I have got PranavT to help me out since he lives nearby my house. Will post back how it goes with this issue.

Any idea how much does the original Honda crank pulley costs? I called up the spare parts shop in Opera House(Shetty motors which GTO recommended). They told me to bring the sample first, so will see if I can get it there.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Yes Ankit is really helpful and he gave me PranavT's contact number. I sent a mail to Pranav at 1am last night and he too replied instantly. Luckily he lives nearby and has agreed to see the car personally. Let see how it goes today. Thank you both.

Yes, I saw he tried a spray in some white bottle, maybe you are referring to that only. Pardon me for my very poor knowledge. Hope this incident will teach me a lot.
Your car is in the safest hands I presume. Pranav helped me through out when I had the issue

The crank pulley should not cost you more than 2k and the bolt MUST be original. I'm just hoping your crank keyhole isn't fried else you know what you're in for!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:34   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Hey thanks guys, I just like to share my experiences and knowledge. It'll be a waste without that isn't it!?

Your car is in the safest hands I presume. Pranav helped me through out when I had the issue
We acknowledge your generous nature ankit!
Yes agreed, knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

We have found two official online trouble shooters now
Ankit for Delhi chapter
Pranav for Mumbai chapter
What say guys!?!

Desmo ji everybody on forum can be of some or other help to a fellow bhpian!

Though pranav still missing (must be busy with his a level above projects), Ultimate your posts have re-alived the thread!
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 23:01   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Went to the garage today. That bolt seems to have broken multiple extensions and ratchets in the last couple of days, and even ended up injuring a mechanic I believe. Been there myself, have a scar on my palm to show for it.

There are multiple ways to open up that bolt, some semi-destructive, others not. The non-destructive options have pretty much been unsuccessful, except using the OE Honda tool which I believe he is importing now.

The easiest way to open it would be to heat up the bolt until it turns cherry red, then pop it off using impact and a cheater/breaker bar. However, that would end up destroying the oil seal inside the oil pump.

Even tried cranking the car, no go.

I am on the forum and usually check out this thread if it's bumped up by somebody. Not much else to do here.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 23:41   #1434

Quote:
You are dead right man. He is a total life saver.

Quote:
The crank pulley should not cost you more than 2k and the bolt MUST be original.
Need to check out where can I get this under 2K in Mumbai. Did you get the original Honda one(with the rubber seal) or full metal one?

Quote:
We have found two official online trouble shooters now
Ankit for Delhi chapter
Pranav for Mumbai chapter
+1 from my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Went to the garage today. That bolt seems to have broken multiple extensions and ratchets in the last couple of days, and even ended up injuring a mechanic I believe. Been there myself, have a scar on my palm to show for it.
Appreciate all your help you provided today

I have found out where I can get the tool online(thanks to Pranav). Now just need to find where do I get the original Honda crank pulley from(one with the rubber seal). I intend to check out at the Opera house(south mumbai).

Other option is to take the car to the Honda service center and let them do the job. Tradeoff would be more money involved. Will weigh both the options once I find the crank pulley and get a quote from the service center.

Will keep you all posted on this.
Thanks!
Old 14th December 2012, 11:57   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I am on the forum and usually check out this thread if it's bumped up by somebody. Not much else to do here.
Hey Pranav ji, long time haan!
Are you still holding OHC with you?
Would you suggest something for increased engine noise and how can I further reduce the in cabin noise level?

Thanks!
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 09:16   #1436
BHPian

The blower in my OHC has stopped working at speeds 1 and 2 but it works just fine at speed 3 and 4. Any clues to what might be the problem and what to check?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 10:58   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
The blower in my OHC has stopped working at speeds 1 and 2 but it works just fine at speed 3 and 4. Any clues to what might be the problem and what to check?
Check the regulator fuse. It must have got blown. Replace it, not an expensive thing.
Honda Monk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 21:30   #1438

Hi guys!!
Went to Opera House today to find the Crank Pulley for my vtech. Searched a few stores including Shetty Motors but every one wanted a sample of the entire pulley. I only had the outer part of the pulley which got off from the rubber seal. I thought this should be a standard part of the honda city engine, but every one said there are different variants available so the entire piece is required to find a exact match.

Shetty motors told me it would cost anything between 2500-5000Rs.
Another store Chirag traders told me, he has one Original Honda Piece for 6500 and other cheaper indian ones 1800 & 2600 Rs.

I also searched for the OE Honda Crank pulley tool but was not available with any store there. One Mehta Tools store person showed me a 50mm Tubular Hollow spanner which according to him could be an alternative for that tool.(pic attached). Can this be used to open the crank bolt, by locking the pulley? (this costs just 150 bucks)

I also got a quote from Solitaire Honda Service center for about 8K to replace this pulley.

Now I am a bit confused between 2 options-
1. Give the car to the service center and let them fix it. No hassles and would get the car back in 4days and would cost me around 8K.
2. Open the crank bolt first by either importing the pulley tool or using the Tubular spanner option(if it works) and then sourcing the Original pulley. This would involve waiting 2-3 weeks for the tool and then spending sometime to get the orignial pulley. Total cost involved 1800(tool import)+2500-4500(pulley)+fitting cost at local garage.

What would you guys suggest me to go for?

Thanks,
Vinay
Attached Images

Old 16th December 2012, 00:06   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pranav ji, long time haan!
Are you still holding OHC with you?
Would you suggest something for increased engine noise and how can I further reduce the in cabin noise level?

Thanks!
If the noise is from within the engine, it can be various things. First thing to check would be valve/tappet clearance after letting the engine sit cold for 24 hours. Check for exhaust gasket leaks, etc while you're at it.

To reduce the in cabin noise, you will need to strip the whole car and find out where the noise insulation has worn out. Then use some damping sheets that audio installers use.

First you need to figure out the source of the increased noise.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 11:34   #1440
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me with the part number for the radiator fan relay for the OHC 1.5

I am trying to source one but am unable to find the exact part number.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote