Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th January 2013, 20:48   #1456
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Issue 1 : Check with Shetty. He as usual should have it or should have the TRW's in stock. The TRW's are not bad either

Issues 2: No idea.. never faced it. Alternator? also when was the last time you got the engine tuned/TB or Injectors serviced?
Simply No No to TRW, I am using since last year and they are too hard for Indian roads. KYB is good, using in rear.
Munjal Showa can't be procured brand new, only refurbished available.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 20:56   #1457
BHPian

Well I think I have TRWs on the front iirc, but they're alright. I can say that they do tend to be firm on high speeds I get a bit more of a stiff feedback coming through but they're not unbearable. Overall I'm quite happy with them.

I think Munjals have stopped making the OHC shocks altogether?
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 23:55   #1458
BHPian

Default Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Issue 1 - For the Rear Suspensions should i Go in for the Gas shocks or Normal Ones , my mechanic has said he will install new mungal showas (from what i hear these are not available so not sure about this )

Issue 2 - Car's behaving weird, \ it feels underpowered when driving
I have TRWs as front and rear on my OHC; bought from Shetty Motors in Turbhe after an unsuccessful search for original Munjal Showas for two months. I could find Munjal Showas for 11k a pair (rear) but they came with springs too which I did not need and these looked refurbished to me.
Ride quality with TRW gas filled shocks is stiffer than stock OHC but it also makes it more planted and reduces the body roll to some extent.

For your second issue, it is most probably an alternator issue.

Last edited by infotech58 : 6th January 2013 at 23:56.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 10:40   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Thanks for sharing .
There are several engine codes listed. Which one to refer? Mine is a 2003 OHC II 1.5Exi. I dont know the engine code.
Dhar's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 08:13   #1460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post

Thanks for sharing .
There are several engine codes listed. Which one to refer? Mine is a 2003 OHC II 1.5Exi. I dont know the engine code.
I had chosen a the 13b6 link. The engine configuration would be different but most other mechanicals are the same.
It's quite an exhaustive list of diagrams. Also very helpful.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:57   #1461
BHPian

Hi All,

Im looking out for a 1st gen Honda City. Would like to know the fuel efficiency difference between 1.3 & 1.5. My driving style is rather sedate would rarely go over 3K rpm. 99% city driving with Ac.

One 1.5 that I test drove, was hardly used recently, total of 52K in 12 years. Had a weird power curve, had to accelerate to around 4.5K to shift so as to get sufficient momentum. Is this a 1.5 characteristic ? Is this normal ?

Gurus please advise, also cost and availability of parts.

I stay close to Opera House so parts are no issue.

Regards,
Kavesh
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:40   #1462
BHPian

My 1.3 averages 11 -12.5 in city Mixed mode driving. On the highway I've touched 18-19 iirc on my most recent run to Goa & back. Mixed mode again 4 adults + full tank from origin. Cruised at 130-140.

Parts are getting more difficult to get but Shetty Motors is reliable enough to source most parts for this car
Old 4th February 2013, 10:40   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post

One 1.5 that I test drove, was hardly used recently, total of 52K in 12 years. Had a weird power curve, had to accelerate to around 4.5K to shift so as to get sufficient momentum. Is this a 1.5 characteristic ? Is this normal ?
Regards,
Kavesh
10KMPL is what you can expect from both obviously depending on the health of the car.

There is something wrong with the car for sure. You can shift around 1500rpm if you like without any knocking.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 21:15   #1464

Default Re: Jerk and Fuel Efficiency issue with OHC 1.3 Exi (1999)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
Thanks, will surely check these two on this Friday and post back on the results. In the meantime, any other input/advice is most welcome (do I need to check engine mounting for jerking? etc etc)
My 'Friday' finally came . I did the following:

1) Injector machine cleaned
2) Normal servicing covering oil / filter change etc

didn't help!

Gear shifting was also a bit troublesome. So, got it checked at Deccan Honda, Chinchwad, Pune. They changed the complete clutch (~Rs. 16K). Shifting is smooth now. But the old problem still remained - jerk at low RPM + not so good fuel efficiency + RPM going down! Deccan Honda couldn't identify the issue exactly, but they suggested TB change which is a whopping ~Rs. 35k (it comes with the whole assembly, since the body alone is not available). Didn't do that!

I somehow got hold of an original TB (only the body) of a 1.5EXi. Got it fitted on my car and voila - Fuel efficiency came back to the earlier value of 12.5 kmpl (in horrible Hinjawadi, Pune city drive).

We set the idle RPM at 750-800. But after I drive the car a few kms, and stop at a red light, it always shows 600 - 650rpm (sometimes even lower) and that is WHY THE CAR JERKS! Now, I need to find out why the RPM goes down. which part to be attacked now? SJhould I keep the idle at 900 or 1000?

I still haven't touched O2 as it seems ok. Deccan Honda checked compression and they said 'nothing alarming', but compression is 'low' in one of the cylinders, didn't specify nos.

I saw a lot of posts in this thread which say 'Car jerks'. Is that at lower RPM? Can you guys notice and mention the rpm at which 'The Jerk' happens?
CheersHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 00:33   #1465
BHPian

750 -800? That's too low I would say! 900 after warm up is normal. On cold start the rpm usually is 1100 which after warm up settles to 900 odd.

If it was set to 750-800 at the start then on warm up it would naturally settle lower!
Old 5th February 2013, 07:20   #1466

Quote:
750 -800? That's too low I would say! 900 after warm up is normal. On cold start the rpm usually is 1100 which after warm up settles to 900 odd.

If it was set to 750-800 at the start then on warm up it would naturally settle lower!
750 - 800 is after settling down. Cold start is higher as you rightly said. In the morning, this is what I get. After I start driving and stop somewhere with engine idling, the rpm comes down as mentioned.
CheersHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:42   #1467
BHPian

Has anybody got brake caliper work done lately? A mechanic observed little rattle in wheel assembly and suspects caliper pin.
Opinions please
Old 19th February 2013, 10:23   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Has anybody got brake caliper work done lately? A mechanic observed little rattle in wheel assembly and suspects caliper pin.
Opinions please
I had this problem. It was in fact the calliper pin which would rattle when free but the rattle would disappear as soon as the brakes were pressed.

I don't recall how my mechanic solved it but iirc they uses the thin tape (dunno what's it called) to wrap around n tighten the thread of the pin. Eventually I think I got them replaced.

But yeah, the easy way to diagnose was that the rattle sound will disappear once you step on the brakes.
Old 19th February 2013, 13:55   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
I had this problem. It was in fact the calliper pin which would rattle when free but the rattle would disappear as soon as the brakes were pressed.
Yes its the caliper pin. My mechanic suggested to take the caliper out and work on it, dunno exactly unless the job is done in front of me.

My steering is tight too, since there is no leakage his opinion is that its the ball joint and bush.
Taking car to him tomorrow.
Old 19th February 2013, 13:58   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Yes its the caliper pin. My mechanic suggested to take the caliper out and work on it, dunno exactly unless the job is done in front of me.

My steering is tight too, since there is no leakage his opinion is that its the ball joint and bush.
Taking car to him tomorrow.
Cool. Glad I could help confirm.

For the tight steering perhaps you'd wanna see if the steering oil pump was working properly too. A weak pump could also cause a stiff steering.